Help, please

hapicruisin

I would love to take advantage of one of the wonderful last minute cruise deals, particularly in July/August of this year, only to find getting to the UK ports/airports from Isle of Man during that time is so very expensive because of the Olympics. :mad: How on earth is every one else managing?

Would love any helpful suggestions, please.:)

This is why I always say book early because the challenge can be finding affordable flights.

Keith

Thank you Keith, we usually do book early - not long come back from a 15 night and have another booked for early Jan 2013. We would just like to take advantage of one of the wonderful offers around within the next few weeks.

That's always the problem: just as last-minute cruise bookings can save money, last-minute air bookings generally cost more Take your pick.

Thank you navybankerteacher, usually I would be able to avail myself of reasonable flights in and around the UK but we have the Olympics coming here soon - that is why the flights/hotels etc are expensive. I only want to get to Southampton Port or Gatwick airport and from such a short distance away.

I would love to take advantage of one of the wonderful last minute cruise deals, particularly in July/August of this year, only to find getting to the UK ports/airports from Isle of Man during that time is so very expensive because of the Olympics. :mad: How on earth is every one else managing?

Would love any helpful suggestions, please.:)

High airfares are probably one of the reason the cruise lines are offering great fares on UK cruises.

High airfares are probably one of the reason the cruise lines are offering great fares on UK cruises.

Thank you for your reply Paul,

I agree, but would like to find out if anyone out there has any way round paying the £500 - £600 return tickets for my husband and myself to get to Southampton or £400+ to get from IOM to Gatwick airport. Which makes the discounted cruise much less of a bargain.

Wow, what a rip-off on the air fares! What about ferry/train? Could you put your car on a ferry and drive to the port?

One of my closest friends is English and she is meeting me in Vegas during the Olympics. I hope you can find a way to get to a port for a discounted cruise, but I'm afraid with all of the new stuff happening for the Olympics you might just be out of luck this year, at least for air travel. Heathrow is a nightmare at the best of times...can't imagine how awful it's going to be during the Olympics. And then there's the Tube...

Wow, what a rip-off on the air fares! What about ferry/train? Could you put your car on a ferry and drive to the port?

One of my closest friends is English and she is meeting me in Vegas during the Olympics. I hope you can find a way to get to a port for a discounted cruise, but I'm afraid with all of the new stuff happening for the Olympics you might just be out of luck this year, at least for air travel. Heathrow is a nightmare at the best of times...can't imagine how awful it's going to be during the Olympics. And then there's the Tube...

Thank you BeagleOne. Have thought about all those things, that is how I found out just how much it would cost. I should been more specific on my title. I am so glad that I didn't just book the cruise before finding out about the heavily inflated cost of getting from IOM to UK with the impending Olympics. Back to the drawing board.

I think alot of people that take advantage of the "last minute" deals either have air miles or pick close to home cruises. Something they can drive to

Thank you deladypilot, we are under 200 miles from Southampton, so that is very close to home, it is the Olympics coming soon that has made getting around so expensive. Poor me, just when we have time to fit in another cruise and at such wonderful prices.

For the fun of it I just looked up the cost of a ferry crossing, but realized that I have no frame of reference. It is showing that from the Isle of Man to Liverpool is £250 each way, but I have no idea if that is typical or inflated.

If it's typical, I'd be willing to spend the £500 (for two people and a car) and drive to Southhampton to take advantage of a great deal.

Archived