What to tell a 1st time cruiser about Carnival and/or cruising in general?

Avril

Ok, so I haven't been a "Newbie" cruiser for awhile :D and am taking my boyfriend (Dave) on his 1st cruise in Decmber 2013 on the Imagination. :D I was wondering, what should I absolutly remember to tell him about Carnival, the Imagination, and/or cruising in general before we leave? I'm just trying to think of what would be important to a 1st time cruiser that us experianced cruisers would never think of for whatever reason (seems like common knowledge, doesn't seem that important, etc). Any ideas?

Funny thing is, we're going on not only the same ship, but the same itinerary that I did for my 1st cruise, can't wait to see her again!!!! :D

Thanks!!!! :D

I tried not to spoil things with telling my friend too much. I took a first timer in April.

I think dont tell them too much. Food is included, they will not go hungry .. that kind of thing .. but I didnt want to bog her down in too much detail. Not everyone wants to know. She said .. I trust you to plan things.. and we left it at that. She had a good time relaxing.

My DH and I took our first cruise several years ago. The whole time we were vacationing he continually commented on how hot and humid it is. He took multiple showers daily and complained chronically. I felt certain I would never get to cruise again. After getting back and having some time to think about it, he decided it wasn't a deal breaker. I just think folks who have never been to the caribbean are not really prepared for the humidity.

I would see if I could get a copy of the Funtimes from your ship on a recent cruise, and let him read it. Mention, this is what kind of stuff goes on during the day. I missed so much on my first cruise, one because I was too hung to try anything. And two, I really didn't realize all there was to try.:) Cruise Happy.

I would see if I could get a copy of the Funtimes from your ship on a recent cruise, and let him read it. Mention, this is what kind of stuff goes on during the day. I missed so much on my first cruise, one because I was too hung to try anything. And two, I really didn't realize all there was to try.:) Cruise Happy.

i did have copies of the fun times, but didnt show them to my first timer friend until we were on the airplane on the way... let her look thru them. We did almost nothing from them. I love to go to the shows .. not her, went to one and that was it.

I just let her find her own way and didnt push her to do what I wanted.

I am taking my boyfriend on his first cruise on Imagination too!! While I wanted him to see a bigger boat for his first time, I decided Imagination was most appropriate because of its size and the short itinerary (in case he gets sea sick). Basically I have told him we need to save money for drinks and souvenirs and that food is readily available. I don't want to bog him down with information, but I answer the questions he might have. Just ensure him that he will have a blast!! And maybe warn him about elegant/formal night, my father hates dressing up, it's like pulling teeth. Luckily my boyfriend doesn't mind! Have fun, eat and relax!!!

I tried not to spoil things with telling my friend too much. I took a first timer in April.

I think dont tell them too much. Food is included, they will not go hungry .. that kind of thing .. but I didnt want to bog her down in too much detail. Not everyone wants to know. She said .. I trust you to plan things.. and we left it at that. She had a good time relaxing.

Well said!

I try to keep my mouth shut and just let my loved ones experience cruising for themselves. My first cruise was such a novelty and such a great experience. I am glad that I didn't know what to expect. Made the trip much more exciting.

Now that I really enjoy cruising, I naturally want to share it with everyone I love, yet i don't want to reveal too much---- takes away from the WOW factor of the first time :)

Ok, so I haven't been a "Newbie" cruiser for awhile :D and am taking my boyfriend (Dave) on his 1st cruise in Decmber 2013 on the Imagination. :D I was wondering, what should I absolutly remember to tell him about Carnival, the Imagination, and/or cruising in general before we leave? I'm just trying to think of what would be important to a 1st time cruiser that us experianced cruisers would never think of for whatever reason (seems like common knowledge, doesn't seem that important, etc). Any ideas?

Funny thing is, we're going on not only the same ship, but the same itinerary that I did for my 1st cruise, can't wait to see her again!!!! :D

Thanks!!!! :D

Bring see sick Med's and take them regardless! If he's never been on a cruise before you don't want to ruin the vacation by spending it in the bathroom. Biggest thing to stress is to take them BEFORE you get sick! some people think they will bring them along and take them If they get sick..trying to get them to work after the fact is hard!

I stressed this to my parents on their first cruise...she didn't listen and was really sick and will never go on a cruise again because of it! Should have listened to me in the first place :D.

We are seasoned "Cruisers" and still take them. We take 1 the day before to get in our system and continue the whole cruise.

We take Meclizine. Doesn't make you drowzy like gravol.

The only problem is that it is not sold in Canada. It use to be under the "Bonamine" brand.

You can buy it in the states at most stores..just go to the pharmacy counter and ask them for the generic version of it..its like $5 for 100 chewable pills. It can also be purchased under the name "NON-drowzy Dramamine. But you pay $4 for 6 pills that way. Or the U.S. Walmart Version ..6 pills for $1.69 I think. Its a once a day chewable.

Better to be safe then sorry!!! ;)

I see you live by me...another BIG piece of Advice....fly out of Buffalo! ITs soooooo much cheaper! We generally always fly Southwest and pay under $700 round trip for the 3 of us every year..including taxes!!!

I am taking my boyfriend on his first cruise on Imagination too!! While I wanted him to see a bigger boat for his first time, I decided Imagination was most appropriate because of its size and the short itinerary (in case he gets sea sick). Basically I have told him we need to save money for drinks and souvenirs and that food is readily available. I don't want to bog him down with information, but I answer the questions he might have. Just ensure him that he will have a blast!! And maybe warn him about elegant/formal night, my father hates dressing up, it's like pulling teeth. Luckily my boyfriend doesn't mind! Have fun, eat and relax!!!

What type of room are you booked in...oh and another thing i can't forget...Bring a Bubba Keg :D to keep your drinks cool all day.

Some will say the lines or chogs, but honestly, just relax and have a great time. You will eat and if the line is too long, order room service! Tell him to not be judgemental and relax. The time will pass by so quickly!

Oh yeh and tell him room service is free! On our first cruise, we had no idea it was free, we didn't order it at all. Our last cruise, we utilized it, so did the kids!

I just think folks who have never been to the caribbean are not really prepared for the humidity.

Yup. Also proper hydration makes a HUGE world of difference in handling the heat. Most people are always dehydrated to a degree. Get at least a gallon of fresh water in you a day.

My DH and I took our first cruise several years ago. The whole time we were vacationing he continually commented on how hot and humid it is. He took multiple showers daily and complained chronically. I felt certain I would never get to cruise again. After getting back and having some time to think about it, he decided it wasn't a deal breaker. I just think folks who have never been to the caribbean are not really prepared for the humidity.

I hear more complaints about this than anything. I never go to the caribbean in the summer. Now in January and February it is perfect.

I have a friend going on her first cruise with me. She's not computer literate at all, so I printed out the ship and ports information from CC and the excursions from the Carnival website and gave it all to her to read. I told her to let me know if she had any questions.

I just got off my first cruise yesterday, and I think the less you say the better! I had a great time and will definitely sail Carnival again, but had some negative impressions going into it due to reading posts on this board for a few months.

I would prepare your friend that the ship is huge, and that it will take a little time to figure out where everything is. tell her that the cabins seem bigger than they are and not to worry about feeling cramped, and there is plenty of storage space both in the cabin and in the bathroom.

In my experience, the Glory didn't seem crowded except for the Lido deck, and you would never know there were close to 3,000 passengers.

Hope you and your friend have a great cruise!

Don't set up any expectations!

We are taking our kids on their first cruise, our second) and we muddled through the experience and loved it! But we had low expectations in food, room, services, etc and were pleasantly surprised .

If you set expectations that aren't met -- then YOU become the cause of a ruined vacation.

Archived