TA perks for Canadians?

I have been reading many a thread on here the last few weeks about the great obc and perks that TA's have given people, and have noticed that the people posting have all been from the US. I am wondering if this is just because they are the largest population on the CC boards or are these deals just for those south of the border. I have noticed a few posts from people from the UK or Australia who have stated that there fares are actually higher then what we would pay, but have not found anything (and I did try the search function, but was unsuccessful) about Canadian TA's and these perks. So far I have been on 3 cruises and have 2 more booked and only one of them have we gotten a perk. Prepaid gratuities and a mini box of chocolates on a chartered repositioning cruise vancouver to Hawaii.

I know that you are not able to give company names/agents on here, but I am just wondering if these bonuses are out there and I have just not found them.

Hi Tina&James:

We tried to stay with a Canadian T/A, we really did but honestly they just cannot compare with the perks a US T/A provides. It was bad enough trying to get price-drop credits and OBCs were practically non-existent other than the OBC on board booking credits we got if we went that route and prior to transferring to our T/A.

When our beloved T/A in Canada retired, we decided we would check around and after doing a lot of research and following recommendation by a fellow cruiser we now use an on-line US T/A. The OBCs are fantastic, as are the pre-paid gratuities and other freebies like specialty dining.

The OBCs we have received for our 7, 14 or 18 night upcoming cruises range from 100 through 600 and we have also had cabin upgrades thrown in. These on top of the booking incentives and upgrades afforded by Celebrity to us as Elite members.

I see you are from Vancouver - we are on the island so you could always pop over to Seattle and check out the bricks and mortar T/As there and maybe establish a relationship if on-line is not comfortable for you.

My advise would be this:

Make sure the payment is by credit card and goes directly to the cruise company, not the agency

Go with a recommendation from a fellow cruiser or research on here CC

Go with a well established agency

Be aware that there is some risk - you may not have the consumer protection afforded by Canada when booking with a US agent but really, US consumer protection policy and ours is pretty much the same and using a credit card is a good safety net.

I am working with a local travel agent who is giving me (a first time customer) a perq of either an OBC or shore excursion worth a couple of hundred dollars.......so it does exist. Could I do better booking through a US agent? Possibly, and I'll consider it in the future. A recommendation I read on a CC board is to collect agent recommendations on board from fellow passengers who are happy with their travel agent, and contact them when it comes time for a future cruise.

and have noticed that the people posting have all been from the US.

Yikes, I'm hurt CC that you failed to include my previous comments for Tina&James to find in their search! :)

T&J, one extra perk open to all, regardless of nationality, is to become a shareholder of a cruise company. For myself, I own shares in Carnival Cruise lines. Because I own at least the minimum 100 shares (I'm not saying how much I actually own) on cruises 7 days or less I automatically get $100 OBC (can't be used for tips BTW) on any line under the Carnival banner. On longer trips the OBC increases.

At the same time 100 shares earns $100 US in dividends per year. (As I bought in a down cycle I'm also sitting on an unrealized capital gain :D).

Most cruise lines offer OBCs to share owners. Also, you have to submit proof of ownership before travelling.

Other than that individual TAs offer OBCs so you should ask them. NOTE: Nothings really for free so TAs account for the OBCs in the cost to you, however, you can try negotiating a bit extra with them.

Finally,

HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBI68Il4Zsc&feature=share

We are canadian.

In the past, we have booked our cruises through local T/A, several through on-line T/A. We shop around and ask about every possible deal - upgrades, on board credit, excursions, insurance, gifts. Never be shy, it's your money.

Over the last few cruises, we have found that after shopping around and seeing what is best out there, and you have narrowed things down to a particular date and ship, we call the cruise line directly.

Guess what, we almost always get a better deal. Makes sense since the T/A's have to get paid by the cruise line anyway.

The cruise line is also easy to deal with when there is a price drop, and you request that, before you make your final payment.

Don't bother them about any flight discounts. You are always better off finding your own deal there.

We are canadian.

Guess what, we almost always get a better deal. Makes sense since the T/A's have to get paid by the cruise line anyway.

The cruise line is also easy to deal with when there is a price drop, and you request that, before you make your final payment.

Don't bother them about any flight discounts. You are always better off finding your own deal there.

I have to disagree with you here

The cruise line should not be cheaper than a TA unless you are paying a TA a service fee (which some do in Canada)

It would not be very good business for the cruise line to under cut the TA's that give them business

I have to disagree with you here

The cruise line should not be cheaper than a TA unless you are paying a TA a service fee (which some do in Canada)

I disagree as well - I found the exact same pricing everywhere, and then a couple of independent agents offered me perqs on top of that.

Maybe it depends on which cruise line(s) are involved.

I disagree as well - I found the exact same pricing everywhere, and then a couple of independent agents offered me perqs on top of that.

Maybe it depends on which cruise line(s) are involved.

The difference may be if you book through a Canadian TA in CAD or a US TA in USD

The Wholesalers in Canada have a creative conversion rate making the prices higher ;)

The difference may be if you book through a Canadian TA in CAD or a US TA in USD

The Wholesalers in Canada have a creative conversion rate making the prices higher ;)

Huh? What does that have to do with it? I pay in US dollars anyway, and prices with travel agents were always quoted in US dollars.

Some TAs (especially the chains) will commit to a certain number of rooms and get a bulk rate and are able to under cut the lines posted rates so it is worth looking around.

On the other hand, I do write a column for a financial magazine and moderate a couple of online forums that are devoted to teaching people how to keep as much money as possible in their own pockets. However, personally I like to be sensitive to making a lot of agents (or other persons) do a lot of work when the intention is never to use them in the first place and just go straight to the lines.

Huh? What does that have to do with it? I pay in US dollars anyway, and prices with travel agents were always quoted in US dollars.

If you are lucky enough to pay a Canadian TA in USD then that is good

Some will not do it that way & will convert the amount to CAD at the creative exchange rate set by the cruise line/wholesaler

Archived