Question about 1 person cruising

twinkle toes

I have no idea if there is a place to ask this question, so I'm just going to ask it here since we usually sail on Princess. Is there a site where people go to find out if there is anyone willing to book a cabin with them on a cruise to get the double occupancy rate? We have another person who would like to travel with us, but they don't want to pay full price for a cabin.

I have no idea if there is a place to ask this question, so I'm just going to ask it here since we usually sail on Princess. Is there a site where people go to find out if there is anyone willing to book a cabin with them on a cruise to get the double occupancy rate? We have another person who would like to travel with us, but they don't want to pay full price for a cabin.
Princess used to have a "Share" program but don't any longer/ :( I believe HAL still does.

Several suggestions: one is to book through a TA who discounts cruises as they will have among the lowest, if not the lowest, fares rather than booking directly with Princess. The other suggestion is to book the lowest category they are comfortable with as the single supplement is less for lower cabin types. And, check with family, friends and acquaintances.

I cruise as a single and while I do that by choice, I don't think I'd want to share a very small space with someone I don't know or have any idea who they are. While your friend will be with you a good deal of the time and only sleeping in the cabin, a roommate who stays out until all hours or is up at 5am cheerful and singing isn't my idea of a relaxing, enjoyable cruise. I've been on HAL cruises and met ladies who were put together as shares and in a few cases, it was nice but for some of them, it was a living hell. :(

Princess used to have a "Share" program but don't any longer/ :( I believe HAL still does.

Several suggestions: one is to book through a TA who discounts cruises as they will have among the lowest, if not the lowest, fares rather than booking directly with Princess. The other suggestion is to book the lowest category they are comfortable with as the single supplement is less for lower cabin types. And, check with family, friends and acquaintances.

I cruise as a single and while I do that by choice, I don't think I'd want to share a very small space with someone I don't know or have any idea who they are. While your friend will be with you a good deal of the time and only sleeping in the cabin, a roommate who stays out until all hours or is up at 5am cheerful and singing isn't my idea of a relaxing, enjoyable cruise. I've been on HAL cruises and met ladies who were put together as shares and in a few cases, it was nice but for some of them, it was a living hell. :(

I'm with you, Pam. I would rather sleep in a life boat than share with someone I never met, or a lot whom I have met!

Twinkle, I also love to sail as a solo. Usually, I can get a very reasonable inside cabin as a solo. It is so wonderful to close that door and only worry about myself. On more expensive itineraries I share with a friend who I know is a great room mate.

Good luck!

I agree Pam. I'm not willing to take the chance with an unknown person. Reminds me of college roommates and how iffy that was. LOL

As I'd said before, rooming with a stranger is like going on a blind date that lasts 7 nights, or 10, or 15. I choose to pay the single supplement so I don't have to share, plus as I'm on the plus side of plus size, it's really difficult for me to sleep in one of Princess' single beds. Plus I don't want to share the bathroom.

I also sometimes choose to cruise solo. I am the sort of person that Pam would hate to share with:D. I come in at 2am and then I am generally up at 6am, sometimes singing!!.

I know that a stranger would hate to share with me and I could think of nothing worse than sharing a cabin with someone I've never met:eek:.

If you shop around, you should be able to find a deal on a single cabin.

:D:D

If you stick to oceanview or inside cabins, you can usually get the lower single supplement of 65% - balcony and above is almost always the 100% surcharge.

If your friend doesn't need daylight, booking the lowest category inside as a guaranty could be a reasonable price for a solo. And if you live in a big market (ie US or Canada) definitely shop around various TAs.

Unfortunately, I need daylight and live in a small market with no leverage (so no discounts) so I sail obstructed oceanview, but I still keep cruising - even with the single supplement it's still a great value vacation!

I couldn't even consider sharing with a stranger - there are many factors to consider, not just different lifestyles - in an older thread on this subject one poster mentioned that there is only one safe - would you be happy with all your cash, credit card details, passport number, and valuables available to a stranger?

As my husband and sons have no desire to cruise(timesharing has spoiled them with 2br or bigger units), I sailed with my sister last year. Yikes was that a mess. When I got home, my husband said next time go by yourself.

While I have sailed on shorter cruises with friends, I'm going solo on my next cruise. I started cruising before balconies were on ships, so it's not something that is something I need, I'm happy with some sort of natural light(doesn't matter if it's blocked by a lifeboat) and if I was going on a port intensive cruise an interior would work if I had to watch the budget.

Princess awards two cruise point credits to solos. A quick way to reach Platinum and Elite. Unlike another cruise line I know Princess offers significant rewards that translate into $, especially Elite.

Princess awards two cruise point credits to solos. A quick way to reach Platinum and Elite. Unlike another cruise line I know Princess offers significant rewards that translate into $, especially Elite.

I found this out post cruise, and as my husband just said you would have had an extra 7 days toward the next reward level and would have had more fun and less stress.

Not my intent to point you in the direction of another line, but I believe NCL has lower priced singles cabins on their newer ships, kind of clustered around a common sitting room. That doesnt seem like such a bad idea for more lines to try. I have only seen photos, but they dont look bad at all.

Not my intent to point you in the direction of another line, but I believe NCL has lower priced singles cabins on their newer ships, kind of clustered around a common sitting room. That doesnt seem like such a bad idea for more lines to try. I have only seen photos, but they dont look bad at all.

I've actually priced the NCL studios on the Epic and the new ship, Breakaway starting to sail next year. You can usually get an inside cabin at a price close to the studios. The studios are only 100 sqft, regular inside is about 150 sqft. I see the only real benefit is the studio lounge where you could meet up with others to go to dinner.

I've actually priced the NCL studios on the Epic and the new ship, Breakaway starting to sail next year. You can usually get an inside cabin at a price close to the studios. The studios are only 100 sqft, regular inside is about 150 sqft. I see the only real benefit is the studio lounge where you could meet up with others to go to dinner.

I hear these cabins are very loud! I would pay the single supplement before I book these.

I hear these cabins are very loud! I would pay the single supplement before I book these.

I have literally read hundreds of Epic reviews and never once seen this either. Please let us know where you saw that or otherwise you're scaring someone away from a potential, reasonable option for no reason.

I have literally read hundreds of Epic reviews and never once seen this either. Please let us know where you saw that or otherwise you're scaring someone away from a potential, reasonable option for no reason.

I have had friends who went on the ship and booked these cabins and came back with this report. They were on separate sailings (so it wasn't one sailing). This was probably in the first 6 months of service.

I found this out post cruise, and as my husband just said you would have had an extra 7 days toward the next reward level and would have had more fun and less stress.

Princess gives a second cruise credit to passengers who sail solo, it does NOT give double days.

I also sometimes choose to cruise solo. I am the sort of person that Pam would hate to share with:D. I come in at 2am and then I am generally up at 6am, sometimes singing!!
I'm sure you'd be delightful to share with. :) A few years ago, I was on a HAL cruise and met a couple of ladies put together by the share program. One was having a great time, the other was ready to jump ship. The one having a great time partied every night and came in drunk at 1-2am, then grumbled when the one who wasn't partying got up at 7am. Heck, when I cruise with my daughter, we have separate cabins because she doesn't want to share with me. The nerve! She says I snore! I know I don't because I've never heard it. :) :)

i've travelled with my kids all in the same cabin and been fine.

i spent a week with my sister in a cabin once and could have smothered her in her sleep as her snoring kept me awake for 7 nights-through the earplugs i had to get! the last time we had shared a room i was 5. she didn't snore then.

it would be hard for me to spend time in such close quarters with a stranger.

treven, you crack me up : "plus as I'm on the plus side of plus size"...hahahaha....me too!

i've travelled with my kids all in the same cabin and been fine.

i spent a week with my sister in a cabin once and could have smothered her in her sleep as her snoring kept me awake for 7 nights-through the earplugs i had to get! the last time we had shared a room i was 5. she didn't snore then.

it would be hard for me to spend time in such close quarters with a stranger.

treven, you crack me up : "plus as I'm on the plus side of plus size"...hahahaha....me too!

If my sister snored I could deal with it, hubby does too sometimes(allergy induced).

Highlight of my last trip was being waken by the hair dryer at 4am because she splashed some water on it when she washed her hands. I felt it and 99.99% of us would have just gone back to bed and not worried about it.

Archived