Disney Magic 5 Night Canada?

aidansaunt2004

I came across a really good deal for a 5 night Canada/New England cruise in September of 2012. Has anyone taken this cruise before? We would be booking either an inside guarantee or an ocean view guarantee. What is your experience with booking "guarantee" rooms through Disney? How many "formal" nights would there be? How many "production" shows would there be? I don't know anything about Disney cruises :p

My husband and I have cruised 3 times with Carnival but we would really like to try Disney and this price is actually cheaper than Carnival so it seems like a really good deal. The Magic seems to have positive reviews, but I'm not sure what is "offered" since it's a shorter cruise. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks! :D

I was on the first of these cruises, and it was wonderful. There was one "dress up" night on the first sea day. There were three production shows, one on the second night, one on the third night and one on the last night. The first night was the "Welcome Aboard" show which I missed, and the fourth night is Pirate Night which I also skipped to have dinner at Palo.

I have done a guarantee several times, and only once have I gotten an upgrade. It was to the same type of room (inside), just on a different floor.

We loved the two ports. Both cities were very clean, we felt sad, and the Canadian people were very happy to have us there!

Beth

Thanks! I haven't seen much about this itinerary in particular. We've never booked a guarantee before, so I don't know much about them. I've read that it has to be paid in full upfront and it's non-refundable. Booking a guarantee will be $400-$600 cheaper. Have you read about anyone booking a guarantee and receiving an obstructed oceanview cabin or a cabin where the beds can't be converted into a larger bed?

Thanks! I haven't seen much about this itinerary in particular. We've never booked a guarantee before, so I don't know much about them. I've read that it has to be paid in full upfront and it's non-refundable. Booking a guarantee will be $400-$600 cheaper. Have you read about anyone booking a guarantee and receiving an obstructed oceanview cabin or a cabin where the beds can't be converted into a larger bed?

On the Magic all the rooms have, at least, a queen bed that can be divided into 2 twins.

Most rooms also have a sofa bed (for a 3rd person). Some have an additional pull down bunk (4 people).

:)

Wow! You got a balcony? That's a pretty nice surprise! We've had a balcony cabin and we've had an inside cabin so an oceanview cabin would be something new to us. The windows look fairly large.

The reason I asked about the beds is because on Carnival there are some cabins that have beds that can't be converted into a queen/king and have to remain two separate beds.

I've spent the evening researching the ship and different things that are available. We are interested in the spa facilities but the one thing that I can't find an answer to is if there is a hot tub in the spa area? I know there are steam rooms and showers. I read something stating you have your own private hot tub if you book one of the villas, but beyond that I haven't found anything. The "Senses" spa (on the newer ships) has two spa hot tubs but I can't find anything for the Magic. Does anyone know? :D

Wow! You got a balcony? That's a pretty nice surprise! We've had a balcony cabin and we've had an inside cabin so an oceanview cabin would be something new to us. The windows look fairly large.

The reason I asked about the beds is because on Carnival there are some cabins that have beds that can't be converted into a queen/king and have to remain two separate beds.

I've spent the evening researching the ship and different things that are available. We are interested in the spa facilities but the one thing that I can't find an answer to is if there is a hot tub in the spa area? I know there are steam rooms and showers. I read something stating you have your own private hot tub if you book one of the villas, but beyond that I haven't found anything. The "Senses" spa (on the newer ships) has two spa hot tubs but I can't find anything for the Magic. Does anyone know? :D

No hot tub in the spa area, but there are 2 at the Quiet Cove (Adult) pool and 2 at the Goofy (family) pool.

The spa only has steam rooms and sauna.

We just got home from this cruise a week ago and had a FABULOUS time!! We did book a deluxe inside room to save some money since we spend such a small amount of time in the room. The room is very spacious and they put the 2 twins together for us to make a queen sized (and very comfortable) bed. The ports were lovely and very scenic. We love whale watching but were a little disappointed that we didn't see whales on our tour from Halifax. Certainly not anyone's fault but a bit of a bummer! In hindsight, I would have taken a bus to Peggy's Cove. People told me it was very pretty. It was still a fun day. However, we REALLY hit the nail on the head in St. John's though! We took the Coastal Photography tour and had a wonderful time. We are about as far from professional photographers as you can get but our guide was wonderful and extremely knowledgeable! (and not just about photos but about the city itself!) We really got off the beaten path and learned a lot of fun tips and tricks. My husband, 14 yr old daughter and I really enjoyed ourselves!

As for the shows, they were great! We are huge Disney fans so we have come to expect excellence in entertainment. You'll get a few "Broadway" type shows and there is a also a comedienne, John Charles, who performed one night. He is hilarious! He also does an adult show that you should see if you can! We also had a magician/comedienne, Chad Cheswick, perform an adult show one night. He had the entire room laughing so hard you could hear it from the elevators! Definitely a must see if he's still on the boat!

I would definitely book a spa treatment if you like that sort of thing. I used the Rainforest room for a day and also booked a massage/seaweed wrap on the other sea day. They run all types of "same day" deals on spa treatments so, if you want to wait to book something, you can probably get a good deal by waiting until you board. It sounds as though they don't plan on having a full ship of passengers so, you probably won't have a problem getting a time slot. The Rainforest room is a great deal! It's a small area with a few different types of saunas and these wonderful, heated stone contour couches. I could have stayed on one of those forever! I believe, if you book this online, you get a better deal then if you wait until you board. It wasn't too bad even if you wait though. I think I paid $27 to use the Rainforest room for an entire day. I went in 2x and stayed for over an hour each time.

It sounds as though you are getting a great deal....I'd book it if I were you! As a matter of fact, If I could get up there again in Sept...I'D book it!;)

If you are booking the restricted GTY (IGT or OGT) you will not be upgraded out of that category, so if you have your heart set on a view, don't book the IGT. I think that's what you're talking about because of the restrictions you mentioned. You might very well get an obstructed ocean view with an OGT room, but you may not. We usually sail in an inside room, and we always enjoy ourselves. There are plenty of outside spaces for enjoying the fresh air and the view!

Beth

We just booked to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. Which would be the best night for Palo? I do not want to miss the Animator's Palate.

That's difficult to say. You won't know your dining rotation until you check in at the port.

That being said, you can call DCL and request a specific rotation, it can't be guaranteed, but they do try to honor all requests.

I would go ahead and book a night (take a chance) and after you have checked in at the port, if your Palo reservation conflicts, go to where the Palo dining changes are being handled (I don't know what ship you're on) and it's usually pretty easy to get it changed.

Thanks, we are on the Magic on 9/2. If we were to miss one of the main dining rooms, which one would be best to miss?

We are also on the 9/2 cruise. We would skip Parrot Cay. This time we are not eating at Palo and will just go with our assigned dining rooms.

Thanks, we are on the Magic on 9/2. If we were to miss one of the main dining rooms, which one would be best to miss?

OK, Palo dining changes are (usually) handled on embarkation day at Rockin' Bar D.

FYI, the "show" in Animators Palate is on the first night that you eat there (as long as it is NOT a theme night, theme night = formal/pirate/semi formal). In that case, the 2d time you eat in AP would be the show.

Personally, I don't miss the MDRs. I like Palo brunch much more than dinner, but that's a personal preference.

im also on the sep 2 cruise the price was too good to pass on it. than i never been to them ports and it will only take me about 2 and a half hours drive maybe three. the june july august cruise was an outrageous price. not blaming disney they are going to charge what they think they can get i will do the same. i have been waiting for the cruises to go into the guarantee status i knew it was coming it wasnt selling good.

I can't believe I just came across this thread. I'm contemplating signing us up for the Magic on 9/2 also. We were going to do an Alaska cruise but I saw this and it is less than half of the price (but for 5 days instead of 7). I don't think I can pass it up.

I'm contemplating the "Verandah Stateroom with Restrictions. Category VGT" Does anyone know what is "restricted" about it? I don't think the view could be restricted with a verandah, could it?

Btw, if you all have little ones, have you looked into shore excursions yet? I'll be bringing a 2 y/o and it didn't look like there was much that was exciting for her to do.

I can't believe I just came across this thread. I'm contemplating signing us up for the Magic on 9/2 also. We were going to do an Alaska cruise but I saw this and it is less than half of the price (but for 5 days instead of 7). I don't think I can pass it up.

I'm contemplating the "Verandah Stateroom with Restrictions. Category VGT" Does anyone know what is "restricted" about it? I don't think the view could be restricted with a verandah, could it?

Btw, if you all have little ones, have you looked into shore excursions yet? I'll be bringing a 2 y/o and it didn't look like there was much that was exciting for her to do.

The "restricted" refers to the last-minute restricted fares that are available. IGT (Interior); OGT (Oceanview); and VGT (Verandah).

These fares are different than the "regular" GTY categories that may or may not be available.

The restrictions:

You must pay in full at booking.

You must have everyones full names & birthdays when booking

You will be assigned a room within the type of category you booked (usually assigned about 2 weeks out)

You have no say in the room assignment (location, connecting, etc)

There are absolutely no refunds.

The "restricted" refers to the last-minute restricted fares that are available. IGT (Interior); OGT (Oceanview); and VGT (Verandah).

These fares are different than the "regular" GTY categories that may or may not be available.

The restrictions:

You must pay in full at booking.

You must have everyones full names & birthdays when booking

You will be assigned a room within the type of category you booked (usually assigned about 2 weeks out)

You have no say in the room assignment (location, connecting, etc)

There are absolutely no refunds.

TY! For that price, I can deal with those restrictions! I just hope we don't get stuck under the dining room or something.

I just booked. By the time I got around to booking, the outrageous deal on the balcony was gone but I still go an outside cabin for a good deal. I'm a little nervous because our 2 y/o naps for 2 hours per day and that means we'll be spending a lot of time cooped up in a small room.

If there are any DVC members considering this, they sent an offer out yesterday that gets members a (chosen) Verandah room for a cost right between the OGT and VGT pricing. We booked yesterday and are in a Cat 5A room for 9/2 ..... at half the price shown on the website for that Cat ....

If there are any DVC members considering this, they sent an offer out yesterday that gets members a (chosen) Verandah room for a cost right between the OGT and VGT pricing. We booked yesterday and are in a Cat 5A room for 9/2 ..... at half the price shown on the website for that Cat ....

We just took advantage of this as well. Booked a category 4A for 9/7. It was the same price for all veranda categories. I've heard that as of this morning, the category 4A rooms are sold out.

I can't believe I just came across this thread. I'm contemplating signing us up for the Magic on 9/2 also.

Ha! We're also on this cruise. Our daughter found it and the price is great. We have one IGT (I thought that was a gaming stock) and one OGT.

In general, when are the cabins assigned?

Archived