Norovirus compensation verdict

Wow, not sure what I think.

On Norwegian a few years ago I got food poisoning my 5th day. don't believe it was Noro at it lasted about 24 hours and my hubby never caught it.
Didn't even think of sueing..

Your right this should get interesting.
If I go to Mexico, Thailand, China, on a cruise ship, and I eat t off the streets on tours and get back on the ship,and get sick, I can blame it on the cruise ship and get compensated. Of course, I would never bring a dasteredly germ on board for others to enjoy, so if I did the cruises company owes all the sick cruisers compensation.
I truly understand how sickness can ruin a vacation, but that is just part of the travel experience. But wait, many cruisers are not really travelers, just cruisers,and there is a difference in their perspective on what is expected from and on the cruise ship. But a law suit!!!!!!!!!!

Well, part of the lawsuit alleges that RCCL was inadequately prepared for an outbreak (which is a forseeable circumstance on a cruise ship) and only had one doctor for all those passengers. They further allege that children and elderly were not given priority to see the only ship doctor, and the delay in treatment almost caused the woman to die!

So while it is not RCCL's fault that anyone gets norovirus, they are surely responsible for their response to an outbreak.

(Not a lawyer, just married to one!) :D

[quote name='Scotty G']This was a judgement by a Brazilian court. How it affects other countries remains to be seen.[/QUOTE]

However, it may affect their marketing efforts...this decision is a free pass for any sick Brazilian to be compensated in the future. Your future cruises and mine will be more expensive!

[quote name='Familygoboston']However, it may affect their marketing efforts...this decision is a free pass for any sick Brazilian to be compensated in the future. Your future cruises and mine will be more expensive![/QUOTE]Yes, and maybe a free pass for a healthy Brazilian to sue also. One was ill; the other two seemed unhappy about the itinerary and risk of illness. I wonder if hotels and resorts in Brazil are held to this standard....

if upheld, fewer ships may sail from Brazil as the cruiseline's may not like this risk. Or maybe the cruiseline's will be able to add something to the passenger contract to protect from future lawsuits. or the cruiseline may try to buy I surname against this risk, to be passed on to customers on Brazil cruises (and maybe others). fares may have to increase for the Brazil market to be profitable, so fewer passengers will see it as a value, cutting demand and, again leading to fewer ships sailing from Brazil.

[quote name='micmacmissy']Well, part of the lawsuit alleges that RCCL was inadequately prepared for an outbreak (which is a forseeable circumstance on a cruise ship) and only had one doctor for all those passengers. They further allege that children and elderly were not given priority to see the only ship doctor, and the delay in treatment almost caused the woman to die!

So while it is not RCCL's fault that anyone gets norovirus, they are surely responsible for their response to an outbreak.

(Not a lawyer, just married to one!) :D[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time buying the concept that they are not prepared simply because there was one doctor on board. How many nurses, PA's, etc. ere on board. How many crew were trained in the sanitation procedures to prevent the spread of Noro? There are a lot of facts missing from that article. Cruise lines are probably the best prepared organizations in the world when it comes to preventing Noro. Noro occurs everyday all over the place, however it is more spread out because it's victims are not confined to a ship. I would have to hear a lot more evidence before you could convince me the line is liable.

I'm sorry but I cannot blame the cruise line!!! I just did a back to back on the Oasis and I can tell you the crew stands there and asks everyone to please sanitize their hands before entering the dining room or windjammer and I am here to tell you there were SEVERAL people that refused to do it. Now I cannot judge them as I don't know their reasoning. Are they sensitive to what the ship uses, do they think they don't carry bacteria, I can't say but it does increase the chances for norovirus.
While waiting to disembark the Oasis I was watching the crew sanitize all the bar stools and chairs in the promenade section, so they are very much aware of the norovirus and I think they take it very seriously...Just my opinion.

[quote name='hospital']I'm sorry but I cannot blame the cruise line!!! I just did a back to back on the Oasis and I can tell you the crew stands there and asks everyone to please sanitize their hands before entering the dining room or windjammer and I am here to tell you there were SEVERAL people that refused to do it. Now I cannot judge them as I don't know their reasoning. Are they sensitive to what the ship uses, do they think they don't carry bacteria, I can't say but it does increase the chances for norovirus.
While waiting to disembark the Oasis I was watching the crew sanitize all the bar stools and chairs in the promenade section, so they are very much aware of the norovirus and I think they take it very seriously...Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I don't think hand Sanitizer evens helps with noro. I personally think hand Sanitizer is overused and not as effective as people like to believe. And some people are very sensitive to hand sanitizer due to the high alcohol content. People just need to wash their hands often.

Today's Indianapolis Star: Norovirus blamed for sick campers at Notre Dame. Don't send your kids to college or summer camp!!

[URL]http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012207010351[/URL]

My point is it is not just a cruise ship problem, just seems to get more air play on a ship.

I think one thing the ships could do better is to alert passengers to the policy that any serious illness s/b reported to the medical Dept. On our cruise my child came down with something (high fever & general malaise) . She was in the cabin during the 2 days we sailed home & for most of the time I was with her - thank goodness we had a balcony. My husband was in & out. Our cabin steward knew about the illness.

We were able to manage her symptoms so we didn't take her to medical. Only in the early morning when we were docking was there something on the Tv about reporting illness. I honestly had no idea I should have done that since my child wasn't leaving the cabin. No one else got sick either.

I think having something in the cruise critic would be beneficial. I also think ensuring that the cruise line will make things as pleasant as possible for people who are quarantined would be nice.

We are close to having to sign something to if anything happens on board too bad...............................keep it up people.........................I'm about sick of the crying. People bring sickness onboard....................43 cruises and zero real illness caused by a ship

[quote name='BeachChik']I don't think hand Sanitizer evens helps with noro. I personally think hand Sanitizer is overused and not as effective as people like to believe. And some people are very sensitive to hand sanitizer due to the high alcohol content. People just need to wash their hands often.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Our society is too dependant on sanitizers. I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen parents use sanitizer on their kids hands after using the restroom INSTEAD of washing their hands! Sanitizer is a stop gap measure designed to help until you reach a point that you can wash your hands - it is not a replacement for hand washing! I have a sister who years ago bought anything with "antibacterial" on the label - towels, cleaner you name it. Her family was always down with something. This type of behavior kills the bacteria that is good as well and leaves your body open for all sorts of icky stuff:(

Archived