Taking alcohol OFF the ship

bjm07

Hello,

Does anyone know if you can buy any of the alcohol they have on duty-free sales on the ship and arrange to pick it up and take it off the ship at a port of call. As we all know, you are not permitted to carry liquor on board but perhaps you can carry the duty-free items off?

On our upcoming cruise we will be making a stop in the port of Stockholm where we will be visiting family. As a gift, it might be welcome for those we are visiting there. Do you think this is possible to do?

Answers/thoughts on this question will be most appreciated.

Regards,

Barbara

That's an interesting question! Something to consider would be how ship prices compare to local prices. We live in Southern California and ship liquor prices are about the same that we pay at Costco, often ship prices are more expensive.

I never understood why people would line up the last day to buy liquor, then we visited Vancouver last year. $35 for a litre for Schmirnoff... Wow! Prices can vary a lot between the states as well. I wonder how Sweden compares.

I would talk to the Hotel Director on boarding and see if it is possible. Explain it is a gift and will not be brought back on board. Also check with the Custom agents in the country you plan to take it off and see if there is objections there (or do you need to pay duty and custom fee which would maybe make unworthy it).

I wonder how Sweden compares.

Sweden regulates any 3.5%> alcoholic liquors, wines and beers through goverment stores, called Systembolaget. Low alcoholic <3.5% can be bought at supermarkets, gaspumps etc.

Prices are high, among the highest of Europe I think. But the general cost of living (groceries etc) is also high.

I hope the TS can work it out for his relatives. Wouldn't know how custom controls are for incoming cruise passengers (Sweden is part of the Schengen countries), perhaps little to zero so no need to declare at first hand..? ;)

A search on Google found this:

Alcohol from a country outside the EU

You may bring alcohol into Sweden tax-free when travelling from a country outside the EU if the alcohol is for personal use (or for your family) and you are personally transporting the goods into Sweden. You must be at least 20 years of age to bring alcohol into Sweden. Also, duty- and tax-free import of alcohol to Sweden from countries outside the EU by private individuals is limited to a traveller´s allowance of certain quantities of goods. Customs duties and Swedish excise must be paid on alcohol products in quantities over the traveller´s allowance.

Richard

Hello,

Does anyone know if you can buy any of the alcohol they have on duty-free sales on the ship and arrange to pick it up and take it off the ship at a port of call. As we all know, you are not permitted to carry liquor on board but perhaps you can carry the duty-free items off?

On our upcoming cruise we will be making a stop in the port of Stockholm where we will be visiting family. As a gift, it might be welcome for those we are visiting there. Do you think this is possible to do?

Answers/thoughts on this question will be most appreciated.

Regards,

Barbara

Our last X cruise, I purchased some vodka and Kahlua at the duty free shop onboard the Connie and took it home, since we were driving home. The prices were about 30% less than what we pay for similar items here in Georgia.

A few years ago I brought a special bottle of liquor not available in Germany as a present to friends who were picking me up after a cruise. I was afraid that it might be taken and destroyed. I didn't mind them taking it and putting it in a safe place until the end of the cruise, I just didn't want it destroyed. I brought it to the ship in my carry on when I boarded in the US. In the terminal or just on boarding the ship, where it would have been confiscated, I found an officer who was nearby, explained the situation, and was assured that it would be put somewhere for safekeeping. He w curious about the brand (Templeton Rye) and we had a nice chat about it. It came to my stateroom the night before disembarking with no problem, still in the bubble wrap and marked with the label I had made for it.

Now, this case is a bit different in two ways.

first, you want to take it off mid-cruise, and second, you want to buy it in the duty-free shop. I know they have their own rules and are bound by not only the ship's regulations but by various laws having to do with taxes and duties.

I think that you would be better off trying to bring the liquor with you on embarkation day rather than involving the duty-free shop. They may be reluctant to break the rules by delivering a purchase prior to disembarking just because you tell them that you will be taking the liquor off the ship. If that worked, it would be a perfect ploy for people not so honest who would promise to take the liquor off but then "forget" to do so.

I suggest that you coordinate with a specific officer or person from the hotel department and ask them to bring you the bottles at the gangway at a specific time as you disembark in Sweden.

You will not be able to do this. Could you imagine how many people would just say they are picking up bottles of liquor to take off the ship at a port, but instead just take the liquor back to their statroom for consumption onboard.

You will not be able to do this. Could you imagine how many people would just say they are picking up bottles of liquor to take off the ship at a port, but instead just take the liquor back to their statroom for consumption onboard.

Exactly, I can't see you being able to get it out of the store. One point that most don't understand is there is a reason it is duty free..

Thank you all for the interesting and informative responses to this question. Some of you have pointed out issues that I had not thought of. And, that's why I asked you! I'll try some of the suggestions and let you know if I have any results.

Many thanks cruise critic members!

Regards,

Barbara

Thank you all for the interesting and informative responses to this question. Some of you have pointed out issues that I had not thought of. And, that's why I asked you! I'll try some of the suggestions and let you know if I have any results.

Many thanks cruise critic members!

Regards,

Barbara

Hi. Welcome to Stockholm. Remember to get up early to get the spectacular views of the Stockholm archipelago. Quite narrow. Some pictures from a small cruise I did earlier this year https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107231485882986710181/albums/5723141352741514017

No problem with the Swedish customs in Stockholm, I guarentee. The difference in price between taxfree onboard and in the Swedish licourshops (Systembolaget) is about 30% (buy 1 litre taxfree as the price for 70 cl in Sweden). Best bet is to buy in German harbours if you could bring it onboard.

Enjoy you´re baltic cruise.

Lars

Archived