Disney to Europe?

ckelly14

Looked at Disney cruise through Europe but I don't know if I could justify the prices. I compared it to Celebrity for the same itinerary (12 day Greek Isles) on the Equinox. Here's the numbers for 2 adults, 2 kids (7 and 8):

Disney: Oceanview- $11,260 Veranda- $15,160

Celebrity: Oceanview- $5,896 Veranda- $7,036

I think that the money would be better spent on private tours, pre-board activities, flights or even connecting cabins! Any comments from previous family disney cruisers or European family cruisers welcome.

We cruised the Eastern Mediterranean on the Celebrity Equinox last summer when our younger daughter had just turned 8 and had a great time! I would agree that the port-intensive itinerary is a very different experience from a Caribbean cruise and, in my opinion, not worth the extra money that it would cost for Disney. We had connecting cabins and booked private tours in Istanbul, Kusadasi, Athens and in Salerno (for Pompeii) - and it was money well spent. I would also add that, personally, on a cruise in Europe I would want my kids to think about what they are seeing and learning in port rather than being preoccupied with Disney/Mickey Mouse.

Lisa

I was actually booked on a Disney Med cruise for next summer because some good friends were also going. I finally cancelled and rebooked on Carnival - just about the same ports for half the cost. My thinking is that for Europe, it's all about the ports and the ship is more a moving hotel. When we did a Med cruise before, we really only used the ship to sleep and eat. My friends swear by all the extras they get from Disney, but I don't want to pay a premium for services we won't fully enjoy. Plus, I enjoy a ship with a more evenly mixed group of passengers, not so heavy on families so on sea days the kid areas aren't overflowing. I'm sure we would enjoy the Disney cruise, but for me I'd rather spend the money on private tours or pre/post cruise stays.

Best,

Mia

Disney is always more pricey, if you can swallow it, like the port lineup and can afford as well the excursion. We considered Disney but didn't choose it more for the ports. We took Princess and have just the best memories of the port days, the ship was just our moving hotel/resturant, with some side activities on our two ship days.

As others noted its all about the ports, and at least for us the little touches that the mouse put on for you are pretty pricey extra when you are also paying 100+/day/port for better excursion.

We went with Disney to the Med two years ago. We paid $2200 for all 4 of us, not each, total, including tax. I don't feel that the Disney brand added to the Med experience. Sometimes it detracted from the Med experience. The ship's shore excursions were especially bad. The internet, while slow on all lines, was at times non-existent on DCL's Med cruise. There were none of those yummy treats, like the Mickey bars, that everyone raves about.

For a Med cruise, I would choose Celebrity over Disney in a heartbeat.

I am cruising HAL in the Med in a few days. We are paying less for a cruise twice as long as the Disney Med cruises.

• 1 month later...

I would for sure choose Celebrity. As others have said, Europe is all about the ports and what you do with you time ashore. Take the extra savings and use it for either connecting cabins or some fabulous tours. With young kids, I'd really recommend looking into private tours. They can be pricey but are sooo worth it. You get to do what YOU want, on YOUR schedule, and are completely flexible to deal with changing needs/wants of the kids. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Europe Ports of Call board and read up on excursions there. We did a lot of homework before our Med. cruise and it paid off - we had some spectacular days and tours. And, really look into each of the itineraries - many have similar stops but some subtle differences that are really cool! Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Go with Celebrity. The kids club is awesome! We cruised the Eclipse in the Caribbean with a 4-year-old. The ship isn't overrun with kids, so your children will get individual attention. The ship is very hip and luxurious. Our son had fun and so did we.

We did a land vacation with our now 6-year-old in Greece this summer. Private tours were well worth it and perfect for families because you can do your own thing.

So, book the Celebrity Cruise and spend the extra money on private tours when needed!!!! You don't need Disney characters when you're in Europe. I actually think the whole character scene would take away from the experience of visiting other countries. No flames please. I judge no one. Whatever works for you and your family. I have no doubt that Disney cruises are also great for families!

Celebrity is a great cruise line, top notch food, entertainment and cabins, some of the best that I have been on. I would totally choose them over Disney especially at half the price. You will definitely spend a lot of money on tours, lunches, taxis, etc in Europe so it's not worth it to spend another $7000 for a Disney cruise. I'd maybe do Disney in the Caribbean but even there not at the prices they have.

Archived