Glassware service for own wine in cabin

kcscrapper

I understand that HAL permits wine brought on board for our consumption in our cabin. We appreciate this and, frankly, I've found that it actually increases my bar purchases on board!:p

Princess has a similar policy and we requested a corkscrew to borrow (which came with the first delivery of glasses and just left) and wine glasses which were delivered fresh daily by our room steward.

Does HAL have a similar service -- delivery of wineglasses and letting us borrow one of their corkscrews?

You can ask your room steward if you do not have them. Once we had unpacked some wine and left it on the desk. When we returned we had wine glasses without even asking for them. When thanking the crew member he said he saw the wine and just knew we needed them.

As for the corkscrew, I don't leave home without one. I've needed it in the hotel room before the cruise as well as on the ship.

Make it easy on yourself, room service and your cabin steward and go to a liquor store prior to your cruise to purchase one of the $3.00 travel corkscrews and bring your own. We go to a particular hotel often and they always send us a bottle of wine as a gift thanking us for our 'loyalty'. It is always delivered with a small plastic case that holds a metal squiggly cork screw that slips into the plastic handle for stability. It works perfectly, weighs nothing, is probably considered disposable and I always have a few in our suitcase.

Be sure to put it in your check bag in case TSA does not approve of it if you are flying.

On all HAL ships, we have always found wine glasses in our cabin when we arrive and they always remain the whole cruise. We just about never use them as we don't bring our own wine nor often drink wine in our cabin. However, I'm prepared for the odd occassion when we want to open a wine bottle. :)

On the Maasdam in March we requested a wine bucket for our lanai cabin and we kept it the entire cruise. On day one we set up an arrangement with the cabin steward and every day after that when we returned from a port excursion, a bottle of our carry on white wine was waiting for us opened and nicely chilled. We simply left the bottle of the day in the wine bucket before we left. Great service!

Thank you for your kind and informative replies! I am so looking forward to my first cruise with HAL!

Sail7Seas -- you are, undoubtedly, more adept with those little plastic, weak metal corkscrews than I ... or I might be stronger since I've stripped those suckers more than once! I'll toss one that I can actually operate in my checked luggage!

Travelingteacher - your experience sounded lovely. I hope that we are as fortunate to get such an nice steward!

As always, I appreciate the information I get here!

Please! Cheap wines have screw tops - quality wines have "Stelvin closures".

:)

:):):) Correct Sir! Better quality wines are appearing with the aforementioned closure every year.

OTOH, I always carry a two stage corkscrew in my checked luggage. Never leave home without it.

Archived