Santiago

cruisesusie

If you arrive on day 1 and then have just the following day then there is enough to see. Otherwise, if it's two full days on top of an arrival day I think it's too much time.

Keith

I agree. A day and a half is about all you need for Santiago. Still, I enjoyed my visit there.

We were in Santiago, Chili this January. There was more to do than we had time (or energy) for. We arrived on a Wednesday and went to San Cristobal Hill. Great views, weather permitting, and later went to dinner at a downtown restaurant. Thursday, we took a tour to the Andes Mountains. This is not to be missed. Friday, we left for Valparaiso to catch the ship.

I'm not sure when you are going but the summer months have quite a lot to offer. I talk to quite a few people that went to Valparaiso for the day and some stayed there overnight and went to the ship from there.

Thursday, we took a tour to the Andes Mountains. This is not to be missed.

Was this the Valle Nevado tour? What was it like? I found a half day tour advertised but I haven't been able to find any reviews of the tour anywhere. Is it worth doing?

We will be in Santiago next February for a day and a half. I'm planning on going to Pueblo Los Domingos and Cerro San Cristabel. Then using the full day to do a tour to Valle Nevado and walk around the town centre. I wish we had a bit more time there.

It obviously varies by individual and what you want to see. Santiago is a major city, and some people take several days to see what they want to see. There are also things (e.g., wineries, ski resorts) in the general area you could see on a day trip. You don't give an idea of your interests and what you've found so far. There are guide books on Chile and even just on Santiago. For $4.95 you can download and print just the chapter on Santiago from the Lonely Planet guide book to Chile (http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/chile/chile-and-easter-island-travel-guide-8/chile-and-easter-island-santiago-chapter-8/). Valparaiso is also scenic and interesting.

We went on a Cruise organized Pre-cruise trip to the Andes and it was well worth it. I looked at Valle Nevado Tour and it appears to cover the same area. It was definitely worth it for us. The landscape was awesome.

Cerro San Cristabel is great, weather permitting. We took the Funicular to the top.

Be sure to go downtown, you will have your pick of places to eat.

I was not aware of Pueblo Los Domingos, but will look into it for our next trip.

We flew into Santiago at the end of March 2012 to join our cruise in Valparaiso. We decided not to stop in Santiago but to stay overnight in Valparaiso as we had only 1 day before our cruise. We had a private transfer for 4 plus 1 wine tour & tasting and 1 wine tasting stop on our way to Valparaiso. If you are a wine drinker I highly recommend stopping at 1 or 2 wineries on your way to the port.

As well we took a walking tour of Valparaiso and really enjoyed seeing the old city followed by a driving tour of Vina del Mar.

I recommend a night in Valparaiso and a tour there.

Archived