Preteen birthday on board which age group?

2Xtraveler

My daughter will be turning 12 on the 3rd day of our cruise. My question is will she be able to go into the 12 to 14 year old kids group (she wants to be with her 13 year old friend) or will she have to stay in the younger group. We are looking at the 7 day Canival cruise to Mexico. Thanks for any info.:)

My daughter will be turning 12 on the 3rd day of our cruise. My question is will she be able to go into the 12 to 14 year old kids group (she wants to be with her 13 year old friend) or will she have to stay in the younger group. We are looking at the 7 day Canival cruise to Mexico. Thanks for any info.:)

You should definitely ask, but it's up to the staff. Normally we have seen with the kid's programs they use the age on the day of departure to determine in which group to put someone. There have been a lot of stories on the boards about how they have allowed shifting after a birthday in some cases, but not in others. We have found if you make a request in reasonable manner, the staff will try to accommodate.

Most cruiselines consider that the age you are on boarding day, is the age you'll be for the entire trip. BUT...many times, they will allow you to re-do your age midway...it's up to whoever is in charge of that!

We've found NCL and Princess will allow you to change if your birthday is during the cruise, but Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean has the rule that you're the age you are for the entire cruise, regardless if you have a birthday during the cruise. You can ask, but be prepared for a no.

Not Carnival, but on RC we were able to have my son go into the teen group when his 12th birthday was during the week. I did have to sign that I was ok with him being in that group and having the ability to come and go as he wanted. Of course that was 5 years ago so not sure about current policy.

As others have said it doesn't hurt to ask politely, but have plan B in case of a no.

Archived