Skagway to Emerald Lake

jgmc

My husband and I will be in Alaska in August and are interested in renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake as we have done the train trip before. I would like more information from someone who has done this as to how long is the drive and how much time to allow for a leisurely trip with lots of photo stops. Also, if you have done the drive, would you do it again?

We will be leaving shortly for our Alaska cruise tour and when we are at Skagway we will be renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake. I will be happy to give you our experiences when we return. There are also many threads about this subject by many who have done it already. We are looking forward to it. One thing you might want to do is get your rental car lined up. I have had ours booked since last year through Avis.

We did this drive the first week of June and used Murray's Guide which many people do. It's only $5.00 and can be bought(downloaded and printed. I tried to give you the link but Cruise Critic removed it. Just search for Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway.

We were advised to allow five hours for the trip but we used six hours. We stopped for many photo ops, stopped at the Fraser stop for about fifteen minutes, Carcross for about forty minutes, Emerald Lake for ten minutes and at the stop to overlook the Skagway Harbor which was a great view of the cruise ships. This was our last stop right before returning to Skagway. When we had left in the morning it was overcast but not long out of Skagway the weather became beautiful and was still that way when we returned in the afternoon.

We made our reservation with Avis about four months in advance. There was a line of people waiting to get their cars. We had about a twenty minute wait so you may want to figure some time in for picking your car up. The office is small and about a ten minute walk from the ship but a pleasant walk.

We will be doing this trip next week we also rented a car with Avis and we bought the Murrays guide. We also have the Milepost which is a book about the the different roads in Alaska , which we will use on our DIY land tour, so when I get back I will definitely have post our experience.

Good to know about the waiting time for the car.

We did it two years ago and had a great day. Like others, I recommend Murray's Guide. It's worth the $5. We stopped at places we would otherwise have overlooked. It took us about six hours to do our trip. We had fog on the way that slowed us down, but the weather cleared after about an hour.

I just came back from AK and used Chilkoot Charters for my Yukon adventure. I elected to take the train all the way to Carcross and then their van picked us up and took us to Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert - both are just a few miles outside of Carcross. One thing you need to lookout for are all the big tour buses that the cruise lines use - if you get a couple of them at a turnout you will not be able to do anything. BTW Emerald Lake is not well marked and is just a turnout on a curve in the road. Here is my composite photo of the lake. Our driver said the property around the lake is for sale and that Princess is looking at purchasing it to use as a lodge for a new Skagway based land tour in the Yukon. These are the kinds of thing you only find out about from a tour guide who has lived in the area for over 30 yrs.

1503631687_EmeraldLakeC.jpg.e8c21b1bd2c01f405777aa5aaf47cdd4.jpg

Nice trip but if you are CANADIAN you might have some problems at the border.

Check out with rental car company

If the drivers is US or any other citizenship, there is not problem going to Canada.

The problem is that Canadians with a car rented in the US (Skagway) are not allowed to drive to Canada.

We find out when we came to get the car last may. A sign told us about that new rule.

Avis called the border, let us explain and we were allowed to do our day trip but they really insisted that they just did us a big favor.

Nice trip but if you are CANADIAN you might have some problems at the border.

Check out with rental car company If the drivers is US or any other citizenship, there is not problem going to Canada.

The problem is that Canadians with a car rented in the US (Skagway) are not allowed to drive to Canada.

We find out when we came to get the car last may. A sign told us about that new rule. quote]

Actually it's an old rule, but it changed last month!

Here's a mileposted trip guide for the Klondike Hwy.

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondikehwy2.html

We did this drive the first week of June and used Murray's Guide which many people do. It's only $5.00 and can be bought(downloaded and printed. I tried to give you the link but Cruise Critic removed it. Just search for Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway.

We were advised to allow five hours for the trip but we used six hours. We stopped for many photo ops, stopped at the Fraser stop for about fifteen minutes, Carcross for about forty minutes, Emerald Lake for ten minutes and at the stop to overlook the Skagway Harbor which was a great view of the cruise ships. This was our last stop right before returning to Skagway. When we had left in the morning it was overcast but not long out of Skagway the weather became beautiful and was still that way when we returned in the afternoon.

We made our reservation with Avis about four months in advance. There was a line of people waiting to get their cars. We had about a twenty minute wait so you may want to figure some time in for picking your car up. The office is small and about a ten minute walk from the ship but a pleasant walk.

We just did this 2 weeks ago and it was the best day of the cruise for us. Make sure to buy Murray's guide as it was very informative and helpful. We saw many bears, mountain goats, eagles, etc. (I got some awesome pics, wish I had the knowledge and time to post them) Our in laws were with us. they had done the train before and said renting the car and going at our own pace was far superior. We spent a good 6 to 7 hours.

We're thinking of doing this too - would love to hear about any recommendations for places to stop for lunch (away from the crowds!)

You are going to hit crowds, there is only food available in Carcross.

We did the trip to Emerald Lake last month with Dyea Dave and it was great. Be aware that there are only a few restaurants in Carcross and they will run out of food if you get there after the cruise lines tour buses.

We rented from Green Jeep tours a couple of weeks ago. They picked us up at the dock at 8:00 am. They had a guide in the jeep for the trip to Emerald lake...took about 2.5 hours. Jeep was stocked with drinks and snacks.

This company was great to work with!!!

I would definitely do this trip again, and completely agree that Murray's Guide was a great resource. Definitely ensure that your rental is reserved with Avis a few months prior to your trip, as they do often sell-out. Also, either purchase the loss damage waiver option or make sure it is covered by your insurance or credit card - minor damage (dents, dings, cracked windshields) are common on the South Klondike Highway.

We stopped for soup at the Cinnamon Cache on our way to Emerald Lake, but I believe it may now be closed - sorry I cannot be of more help on the food front.

We're thinking of doing this too - would love to hear about any recommendations for places to stop for lunch (away from the crowds!)

Well the good majority of people will eat at Caribou Crossing. We decided with all of the tour buses there we would try the little mini-mart/gas station down the road. It is not the greatest food in the world, but it was pretty much empty when we went.

We are going to do this drive in August. We decided to rent with Sourdough Rentals, a local company. We reserved a minivan for the day for $120, much cheaper than we could have gotten it from Avis. I didn't hear about any problems with this company on the boards, though they do have vehicles that are higher mileage than you would get with Avis. But they say they are well maintained -- hopefully that will be the case. The worry would be that they break down, but people here say that in case of car trouble, that someone will help you out -- a tour bus or someone will take you back to the ship. I hope we won't find out if that is the case. I just paid for and downloaded Murray's guide and it looks like it will be very useful on the trip.

Last week it took us about 3 hours to get to Emerald Lake. We did stop numerous times for photos along the hwy. Emerald Lake is nice but along the way the views are just as impressive.

I agree. We had beautiful weather and the views were outstanding and just as impressive or more so even than Emerald Lake.

I agree, Emerald Lake is great, but it is just a turnaround point. You can go farther or customize your trip any way you want. If you leave early(9-10 AM) and get back in 5-6 hrs., you still have a few hours to tour the town. Our ship doesn't leave till 8 PM.

We did this drive just a week and a half ago.

1) get Murray's Guide murraysguide dot com

Super mile-by-mile guide. Well worth the minimal $5 cost.

2) eat at Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery http://www.chilkootbakery.com/

Best soups I've ever had. And the cinnamon rolls are huge!

We did not go all the way to Emerald Lake. We picked up our car around 9:00 or so. We did go to the Carcross Desert before turning back. We took it leisurely, and timed our stops to beat the buses. We beat the buses into Carcross, I didn't time it exactly, but I think we ate around 11:30. We spent time in Carcross stamping our passports and looking around the general store. Made it back in plenty of time to gas up car in Skagay, return it and walk around town and buy souvenirs and walk back to the ship by 3:30 or so.

We did this drive just a week and a half ago.

1) get Murray's Guide murraysguide dot com

Super mile-by-mile guide. Well worth the minimal $5 cost.

2) eat at Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery http://www.chilkootbakery.com/

Best soups I've ever had. And the cinnamon rolls are huge!

I've been reading a lot about this new place and plan to eat there when we go in a couple of weeks. Here's a stupid question: Should we bother to exchange some Canadian money in advance, or will they take our credit cards or American money? We did the trip to the Yukon with Chilkoot 3 years ago, but lunch was included and we didn't purchase anything at Caribou Crossing, but I assume they'd have taken credit cards if we bought something in the gift shop. I just don't know if a little place like this bakery will take credit cards or if we need Canadian cash.

I've been reading a lot about this new place and plan to eat there when we go in a couple of weeks. Here's a stupid question: Should we bother to exchange some Canadian money in advance, or will they take our credit cards or American money? We did the trip to the Yukon with Chilkoot 3 years ago, but lunch was included and we didn't purchase anything at Caribou Crossing, but I assume they'd have taken credit cards if we bought something in the gift shop. I just don't know if a little place like this bakery will take credit cards or if we need Canadian cash.
Just look on their website for your answer. It says:

"If you're arriving by cruise ship, there's no need to get any Canadian cash - we accept Visa and Mastercard."

I think there will be quite a few of us stopping by to try out this new place on our next trip to Skagway.

Thanks to lobbyshopper for letting us know about it. :)

We did not go all the way to Emerald Lake. We picked up our car around 9:00 or so. We did go to the Carcross Desert before turning back. QUOTE]

For others, it is only a couple miles between these points. For many, Emerald Lake is well worth the look. It is stunning scenery and a quick few minute stop.

Archived