Summit review 6/24

vickykay

We just returned from the June 24th sailing which was out 40th anniversary gift to each other. We loved the Summit when we were on a cruise two years ago and were looking forward to seeing all the changes.

The drive down from Albany, NY to the port of Bayonne was relatively easy although finding the cruise terminal somewhat of a challenge as the signs are lacking. Parking and embarkation was quick and we were on the ship around 11:00, enjoying our mimosas. We did a quick look around. The ship was beautiful, with new furniture and carpets, many new venues. We had a relaxing lunch at the Bistro on 5, which is well worth the $5 per person charge. The Oceanview Cafe tends to be very crowded and challenging on embarkation day, especially with carry-on luggage. The cabins were ready around 1:00. New furniture, carpet, bedding, etc. The cabins on the M class have plenty of storage. We met out cabin attendant, Prince, who did an excellent job with our cabin and quickly filled any special requests we had. We found the service throughout the ship excellent and the staff friendly.

Food is always subjective but we found the food in the MDR to be excellent and much improved from our last Celebrity cruise on the Solstice in March, 2011. We also enjoyed the Oceanview Cafe for lunch, especially the Asian selections. They also have made to order sandwiches and paninis, pasta with a variety of sauces, pizza as well as several hot dishes. Hamburgers and Hot dogs are out by the pool and light, beautifully presented dishes at the Aqua Spa pool. My husband looked forward to and especially enjoyed the sushi bar, which begins at 5:30.

We enjoyed the entertainment throughout the ship. The shows were enjoyable and especially enjoyed the comedian, Troy Thirdgill, who was so popular that they moved his late night show to the theatre from the Revelations Lounge. Entertainment throughout the ship included two guitarists, which became somewhat repetitive, a piano singer (fair) and an accapella group (Up til 2) who were fabulous. We did miss the string quartet that is usually around different venues on Celebrity ships as well as live music during the formal dinners. The party band Fusion was terrific although we would have liked to have had them play more at the pool on sea days. Also excellent was the Rythmix group. We enjoyed dancing to them (great singers) before and after dinner most evenings in the Rendez-Vous Lounge, a venue which we miss on the S class ships. The cruise director, Alejandro, was excellent - very friendly and outgoing, with lots of energy.

Bermuda was beautiful. Rain was predicted for the first day but never came (although was windy) and we enjoyed the day at Horseshoe Beach. The second day we took the ferry to St. George and did the 10:30 walking tour. Then took the bus to the Swizzle Inn for lunch and run swizzles, bus again to Hamilton and ferry back to the ship. We had purchased the three day bus/ferry pass right outside the ship.

Overall this was a great cruise. The M class ships are small enough that you tend to run into people you have met. We enjoyed meeting out Celebrity Connections passengers.

A few criticisms are: 1) Celebrity used to have live music on formal nights- no longer, 2) the Summit had no classical music instead two guitarists- one more than they needed, 3) no enforcement of dress code for people even wearing shorts into MDR.

Hi Vicky, welcome back and glad you had a good cruise:)

Was Anne on this sailing with you as well? I know she lives in Maryland

and they had bad storms last week:eek:...was wondering if she was able

to make the cruise......

I will be back on Summit in November and really looking forward to sailing

her again:D

Shorts for dinner?:rolleyes:....I won't go there but it is disappointing

to read it.

We were on the same cruise - our first on Celebrity (previous RCCL and Princess) and first leaving from Bayonne (so easy) and we LOVED everything about it!!

(to be honest, other than the weather - which could have been worse -but was ok overall..)

We loved Cruise Director Alejandro, friendliness and helpfulness of ship staff, food in MDR, Aqua cafe, Bistro on 5, activities (including dance club and being on stage in the Talent Show), entertainment, QSine... could go on and on....

To those who will be taking this cruise this summer - you will love it!!! as for ourselves, we can't wait to go on another Celebrity cruise and are still having cruise withdrawals!! :)

Vickykay,

Loved this cruise also, and agree with all of your comments. Regarding the 2 guitarists, this does not make a lot of sense to me. Would much prefer the string trio most of the ships have.

You did not mention Robert Symons, the steel pan player who was a high point for me. He is a very nice guy and I love listening to his music.

Would love to go back this summer. We shall see. :)

Anne

Hi Vicky, welcome back and glad you had a good cruise:)

Was Anne on this sailing with you as well? I know she lives in Maryland

and they had bad storms last week:eek:...was wondering if she was able

to make the cruise......

I will be back on Summit in November and really looking forward to sailing

her again:D

Shorts for dinner?:rolleyes:....I won't go there but it is disappointing

to read it.

Hi Lois,

I did make it to the cruise, but getting home was a challenge. Spent lot's of time in the Amtrak station at EWR on return.

Loved the cruise, had a great time, and now I want to go back. :) I am seriously looking at Sep. 2, which is my birthday. My gift to me. :D

Our neighborhood was hit hard while I was gone. No extreme damage, but most of our neighbors have been without power since the storm hit last week. We have a generator and are powering a couple of neighbors refrigerators but we cannot power their air conditioners and it is HOT.

Anne

Hi Lois,

I did make it to the cruise, but getting home was a challenge. Spent lot's of time in the Amtrak station at EWR on return.

Loved the cruise, had a great time, and now I want to go back. :) I am seriously looking at Sep. 2, which is my birthday. My gift to me. :D

Our neighborhood was hit hard while I was gone. No extreme damage, but most of our neighbors have been without power since the storm hit last week. We have a generator and are powering a couple of neighbors refrigerators but we cannot power their air conditioners and it is HOT.

Anne

Hi Anne, glad you had such a good time:) and glad you are ok and

your home is ok too......

Hi Lois,

Anne

Hi Anne,

We are on the Sept 2 cruise - its Scott's birthday too! Hope you can join us. Very pleased to hear such good things about my favorite ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Anne,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Jackie and I go on the 15th and we were/are disappointed that Sue Denning will not be our CD. We knew this from posts here. Is Allejandro a fairly new CD? It seems to me we had him as an underling (huh?) on one of our previous cruises.

Those storms in your area were horrendous....hope all is coming together.

Great review vickykay.....thanks!

Sheila.

Hi Anne,

We are on the Sept 2 cruise - its Scott's birthday too! Hope you can join us. Very pleased to hear such good things about my favorite ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and Scott will have a great time. And I think the best place on board to celebrate a birthday would be Qsine. I had dinner there twice on this cruise and just loved it.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Jackie and I go on the 15th and we were/are disappointed that Sue Denning will not be our CD. We knew this from posts here. Is Allejandro a fairly new CD? It seems to me we had him as an underling (huh?) on one of our previous cruises.

Those storms in your area were horrendous....hope all is coming together.

Great review vickykay.....thanks!

Sheila.

Hi Sheila,

Sue left the day I boarded. And I agree, she is terrific. I was also disappointed until I found out that Alejandro was the new cd. He is an incredibly energetic, funny and very nice young man from ARGENTINA. By the end of the cruise, you will have no doubt he is from ARGENTINA. Do not miss his white suit. :)

Hope you and Jackie have a great cruise and good weather.

Anne

Unfortunately Alejandro is leaving at the end of this week to go to the Solstice out of Barcelona - he said they needed someone who spoke Spanish. We did really enjoy him - he was very personable, out going and great fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

Vicky

Unfortunately Alejandro is leaving at the end of this week to go to the Solstice out of Barcelona - he said they needed someone who spoke Spanish. We did really enjoy him - he was very personable, out going and great fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

Vicky

He did not mention it to me, and now I feel bad for the Summit cruisers who will miss him. But lucky Solstice cruisers.

Anne

Sorry Sheila and Jackie :(

You and Scott will have a great time. And I think the best place on board to celebrate a birthday would be Qsine. I had dinner there twice on this cruise and just loved it.

Anne

Great minds think alike. I already have Qsine booked for the birthday dinner. We both lived Qsine on Eclipse and knew this would be a great place for a birthday celebration. :)

Anne

Hi Anne, you went twice?:D:);) on your own? With friends? Both?

"Unfortunately Alejandro is leaving at the end of this week to go to the Solstice out of Barcelona - he said they needed someone who spoke Spanish. We did really enjoy him - he was very personable, out going and great fun."

Interesting VickyKay, happy news for the Europeans!!

Out of curiosity, though, how did you know - had he mentioned it on board, or is there a way to find who will be on what ships? (I have seen the thread)

I'm having such cruise withdrawals this week! LOL

He mentioned it at the last show in the theatre on the final day (9:00 show). We assumed he was serious. Was anyone else at this show?

Also having cruise withdrawals, especially my husband!

Vicky

Hi all, we did go to the last night's show but had late seating, so went to the 7 pm show.... no mention there -

well, in any event, I'm sure the new cruise director will be great too -since people loved Sue and Alejandro :)

Archived