How To Select MD dining

I've selected My Time Dining for our next cruise.

Now that I've selected it on my reservation, do I need to do anything else? I'm not quite sure how it works.

I noticed that in the PreCruise Planner section of my reservation it looks like I can do something there, but I can't figure it out.

You can make advance reservations online, you can make reservations once onboard or you can just show up for dinner whenever you like.

If you reserve a time, are you stuck to that time or can I still show up whenever if something comes up that day?

I keep reading here that you can just show up at anytime. We decided to make reservations in advance since we know the times we'd prefer to eat (different on sea days opposed to port days). At restaurants at home, if you have no reservation, you have to wait until a table opens up and if they are pretty booked up, they will tell you it could be a long wait. I read here that you can just show up and you'll be seated in a few minutes? Do they have that many unreserved tables to say accommodate a couple of hundred people showing up at say 7:30 on a port day (the time we chose for port days)? I haven't experienced MTD so maybe I'm wrong but I somehow get the idea that it doesn't always go as smoothly as I read here. Exactly how does this work? Are those with reservations seated on time before those without reservations? What if they are booked up at that particular time? OK, I read that they hold a few tables for those just showing up, but what happens to if too many decide not to make reservations and just all show up at the same time?

The reason why I question what's being advised here is that My Time Dining isn't Anytime Dining. The website encourages you to make reservations before you sail. They then say to call for reservations in advance if you decide to wait until you're onboard. No where do they tell you that you can just show up.

Many here are even telling people that if you have reservations, you can ignore them and just show up anytime, even without cancelling them! Isn't this advice counter productive? Apparently, many haven't had any problems, but there will be if everyone decides to take that advice. Then the cruise line will piss off a lot of people when they have to wait an hour like at the Cheesecake Factory as they don't take reservations at all. It's first come, first served. Is it that way with MTD regardless? How does it really work?

We've done MTD the last few cruises. On Royal Caribbean we have made a standing reservation for 7:15 before we leave home. I have gone on line to book it within a day of being allowed to do it only to find that 6:15-7:30 is "not available" some times. No way it can already be booked out. That tells me that they are holding tables in that time frame in their pocket for people who just show up sans reservations.

If we find 7:15 is not going work for us on a given night or we won't be coming to the dining room, we try to inform the hostess either when we leave the night before if we know, phone the next morning, or even drop by the desk at the beginning of the dinner hour to tell them. At that time, we will attempt to make a reservation for the time we desire if it is not a matter we are skipping the dining room to go to specialty dining or the WJ. If we can't make a reservation, then we show up and usually don't have to wait that long for a table. I think the longest was 20 minutes.

IMHO, Royal Caribbean is not as efficient in handling MTD as Celebrity or Carnival--the only other two cruise lines we have availed ourselves of this option. Basically, Royal Caribbean has "assigned" us a table. Same table every night. I suspect they do that for everyone that has a standing reservation for the same time every night.

That's the good news because we have had the same waiter/bus boy. But, a lot of times there are empty seats because others "assigned" to our table (we always request a large table) are not eating there that night. We end up waiting for them to come (or not) for 20 minutes or so before our order is taken because the waiter wants to take all the orders at the table at the same time or we end up in solitary splendor at the table by ourselves when it is apparent whoever is suppose to be there is not coming. On some occasions after waiting 15 or so minutes we have had to tell the waiter we have an event to attend and please take our order now. While it is easy to think they are inconsiderate or rude for not informing the hostess they won't be there, I don't think that is the case. We have heard from table companions later that our seats were not filled on those nights we have told them we won't be dining there.

It must be equally as frustrating for people who are waiting for a table to see empty seats at tables where service has not yet begun and not being seated there. They appear to be holding those empty seats in case the assignees show up even though it is past their reservation time by 20 or so minutes.

What's even more frustrating to us is they won't let you invite a single/couple in a similar situation at a nearby table to join you. I've literally seen singles sitting at a six/eight top table by themselves.

The ships we have experienced this on have been the Navigator and the Mariner. Other ships may be different.

We still prefer MTD because early dining is too early and late dining is too late.

Both Celebrity and Carnival seat you at "first available." Ironically, we've ended up being seated with the same people several times since I guess our "stomachs" are on the same schedule (lol).

Tucker in Texas

We've done MTD the last few cruises. On Royal Caribbean we have made a standing reservation for 7:15 before we leave home. I have gone on line to book it within a day of being allowed to do it only to find that 6:15-7:30 is "not available" some times. No way it can already be booked out. That tells me that they are holding tables in that time frame in their pocket for people who just show up sans reservations.

If we find 7:15 is not going work for us on a given night or we won't be coming to the dining room, we try to inform the hostess either when we leave the night before if we know, phone the next morning, or even drop by the desk at the beginning of the dinner hour to tell them. At that time, we will attempt to make a reservation for the time we desire if it is not a matter we are skipping the dining room to go to specialty dining or the WJ. If we can't make a reservation, then we show up and usually don't have to wait that long for a table. I think the longest was 20 minutes.

IMHO, Royal Caribbean is not as efficient in handling MTD as Celebrity or Carnival--the only other two cruise lines we have availed ourselves of this option. Basically, Royal Caribbean has "assigned" us a table. Same table every night. I suspect they do that for everyone that has a standing reservation for the same time every night.

That's the good news because we have had the same waiter/bus boy. But, a lot of times there are empty seats because others "assigned" to our table (we always request a large table) are not eating there that night. We end up waiting for them to come (or not) for 20 minutes or so before our order is taken because the waiter wants to take all the orders at the table at the same time or we end up in solitary splendor at the table by ourselves when it is apparent whoever is suppose to be there is not coming. On some occasions after waiting 15 or so minutes we have had to tell the waiter we have an event to attend and please take our order now. While it is easy to think they are inconsiderate or rude for not informing the hostess they won't be there, I don't think that is the case. We have heard from table companions later that our seats were not filled on those nights we have told them we won't be dining there.

It must be equally as frustrating for people who are waiting for a table to see empty seats at tables where service has not yet begun and not being seated there. They appear to be holding those empty seats in case the assignees show up even though it is past their reservation time by 20 or so minutes.

What's even more frustrating to us is they won't let you invite a single/couple in a similar situation at a nearby table to join you. I've literally seen singles sitting at a six/eight top table by themselves.

The ships we have experienced this on have been the Navigator, Voyager, and the Mariner. Other ships may be different.

We still prefer MTD because early dining is too early and late dining is too late.

Both Celebrity and Carnival seat you at "first available." Ironically, we've ended up being seated with the same people several times since I guess our "stomachs" are on the same schedule (lol).

Tucker in Texas

I tried to put in a time for MTD, but ....

a. It doesn't give an option for times

b. It just shows the following when I try to bring up times to select:

>> There are currently no My Time Daily Reservations for the selected free time. <<

I haven't selected a time...that just popped up. Am I too far away from my sail date to book? I tried booking on different days of the cruise but it doesn't work.

The ships we have experienced this on have been the Navigator and the Mariner. Other ships may be different.

Tucker in Texas

This could easily be solved by the host calling out the party who reserved the time and if they are not there, fill it with those without reservations. If that party eventually shows up, they are directed to the back of the unreserved line to wait for a free table. All they have to do is inform people that that's the way it works. We always make sure we're at least 15 minutes early for restaurant reservations at home. Here, If you're late (within reason), you lost them. LOL, I'm a retired receptionist and can figure that out. Or maybe that helps:-)

You can make advance reservations online, you can make reservations once onboard or you can just show up for dinner whenever you like.

>> There are currently no My Time Daily Reservations for the selected free time. <<

I haven't selected a time...that just popped up. Am I too far away from my sail date to book? I tried booking on different days of the cruise but it doesn't work.

Did you say when you are sailing? The last cruise in your signature was March 2012??

We have done MTD since it first came out and I think it is very efficient and works great. We have never waited more than a minute or 2, we always get the same wait staff, and with the exception of Oasis (b/c of show times) we never make reservations. We absolutely love MTD.

It is not for everyone, but for us, it works perfect, we go and eat when we feel like it, no set time and for us that is what MTD is all about.

The other thing we love about MTD, is we eat by ourselves. At first we thought we would miss the big table, but we found we love eating alone, we talk about the day, what we are going to do the next day, and we eat at our pace, not someone else's. Since we never eat dessert, it is nice to finish dinner and go, not wait on others. We meet and talk to so many people on the cruise, that we enjoy the downtime at dinner just to be by ourselves.

Did you say when you are sailing? The last cruise in your signature was March 2012??

Oops, it should read March 2013. I just read that I have to be within 2 months of sailing to register for MTD...so I'll just have to wait!

This could easily be solved by the host calling out the party who reserved the time and if they are not there, fill it with those without reservations. If that party eventually shows up, they are directed to the back of the unreserved line to wait for a free table. All they have to do is inform people that that's the way it works. We always make sure we're at least 15 minutes early for restaurant reservations at home. Here, If you're late (within reason), you lost them. LOL, I'm a retired receptionist and can figure that out. Or maybe that helps:-)

I'm the first to agree but, apparently, that system has not been figured out by the powers that may be or for some reason they don't want to do it. I know the hostess became quite testy when we asked if a single or another couple at an empty table could join us at our table and told us "no." Later, I bypassed her and just asked the waiter if I could invite them to our table since he was in charge of the other table, too. He said he didn't mind since our table of eight was empty after 20 minutes of waiting. The single gentleman was very appreciative, by the way.

The first time on MTD and the constant table full of empty happened several times, I hoped that it was just that particular ship/dining room but it has happened on every cruise we have taken since then on Royal Caribbean.

I think Celebrity does use the "you snooze, you lose" system when it comes to reservations. We ended up sitting in the same group of tables every night and with the same people off and on. I don't think Carnival even has as reservation system but think you can arrange something with the Maitre d' once on the ship.

As for not being able to book until two months out, don't believe it. I booked our reservation for our November cruise several weeks ago. Because they say you can only book 2 months out and I did five months out, that is why I think they block off a good hunk of good times before they even open the bookings. Keep checking periodically.

Tucker in Texas

We're going on our first Royal Caribbean cruise in October and I think we've signed up for early seating. We asked for a table for 2. If we don't get that, can we switch to My Time Dining after we get on the ship?

Thanks!

We're going on our first Royal Caribbean cruise in October and I think we've signed up for early seating. We asked for a table for 2. If we don't get that, can we switch to My Time Dining after we get on the ship?

Thanks!

If there is space available yes, you can...be sure to check with the maitre de as soon as possible after boarding...

I have done MTD on several cruises...never made a reservation & have never had a problem getting a table within a few minutes...for me making a reservation months in advance defeats the whole purpose...might as well choose fixed dining...

If you're booking for your March 2013 cruise I think you're too early. I don't remember exactly when MTD opens up but I think it's only a few months beforehand.

I have to tell you we had a group of 11 traveling and were told we couldn't make a reservation before 7:45 each evening. Had I known that initally I would have just gone with late seating for our group. I think if you're a small party you can be more flexible but with our size I wouldn't want to show up without a reservation and expect to be seated together.

Tucker in Texas

We recently sailed on Celebrity's Silhouette and have frequently sailed on RCI ships including Navigator and Jewel and found very little difference in how each dining room handled their flexible dining option. In all cases when we simply showed up (frequently at a time that most would consider peak times) we have experienced only the briefest of waits. Never have we been seated and had to wait an inordinate amount of time to be served and even when we have requested the same table or servers, our experience has always been positive.

I did MTD on Jewel last month. Wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, as a solo traveller. It was great and most of the time I seemed to be placed on the same table. I turned up at all sorts of times and only once was I not seated immediately or within a couple of minutes. The only time I wasn't, I had to wait about 12 minutes. I've made sure I got MTD on both of my future cruises that have the option.

Okay great, so what am I supposed to do then? LOL

Nothing. We do MTD all the time and love it. The morning we board the ship we go to the dining room that is open and let whoever is there know what time we plan on eating that night since we pretty much have an idea what time we will be eating.

Each night after we eat we stop on our way out and either let them know approx. what time we would like a table ready or if we plan on eating in one of the Specialty Restaurants we let them know too.

You can also request the same table and wait staff if you happen to have particular good service that first night.

Archived