Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

Sounds as though you don't even go to the dining room to eat dinner that night. Just collapse in bed and use the internet. :D

Many people skip the dining room the first evening because they are too tired.

We have traditional dining and usually see that more people are there the 2nd night compared to embarkation day. When this has been people at our table that were not there the first evening, they always tell us they were just too tired.

Interestingly enough, the new list does mention "Select Grand Suites also feature personal computer,wet bar and fireplace".

I guess the select grand suites have a personal computer for decoration purposes now.

Well said Woobstr. I am not happy about this. My first cruse on Princess and I was counting on this as I have to stay in contact with my office. At worst they should give suite passengers a certain amount of time like they do Elites. I spent a lot of money for my suite and one of things I was taking into consideration was the free internet. Really upset about this. Shame on Princess.

Bring a printed copy of the FAQ still on the Princess web site as posted by WarEagle76:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_an...experience.jsp

Full suite passengers also enjoy complimentary web access in the Internet Café and via wi-fi, laundry and dry cleaning, use of the Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite (on select ships), one-time free mini-bar setup and use of our Disembarkation Lounge.

Small detail, but the Spring, 2012 edition of the Cruise Answer Book did not include wi-fi.

"Full suite passengers also enjoy complimentary web access in the Internet Cafe, laundry and professional cleaning services, use of the Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite (on select ships), one-time free mini-bar setup and use of our Disembarkation Lounge."

Same wording as every past edition of the Cruise Answer Book after wi-fi was introduced.

The Cruise Answer Book has never mentioned the wi-fi for suite passengers even after it existed.

No one has ever accused Princess of being consistent in press releases, web site information and pamphlets/publications.

We disembarked from the Caribbean yesterday and while we were awaiting disembarkation, we talked with a suite passenger who had enjoyed free internet during the cruise. I am not sure if he was on a 7-day or longer segment.

Small detail, but the Spring, 2012 edition of the Cruise Answer Book did not include wi-fi.

"Full suite passengers also enjoy complimentary web access in the Internet Cafe, laundry and professional cleaning services, use of the Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite (on select ships), one-time free mini-bar setup and use of our Disembarkation Lounge."

Maybe the answer book was just an old reprint of a prior one when all ships had internet but not all ships had wifi. I have noticed with my company that people just get lazy and resend the same word documents out year after year. Naturally things change and doucments need to be updated. All they do is change the date at the top. I love calling them out on their error.

I personally think this may not be a good tradeoff for those who fly across the country/world and arrive on embarkation day. Too worn out by jet lag to want to go to the CG or Sabatinis. Just my two cents.....

Bob

Also depending on the time of sail away and the muster drill I find that the first nights dining experience is some what chaotic. Who knows what time you will actually be able to eat if you want to take advantage of this perk. It is certainly not an incentive to book a suite.

Or they want them to screw up and charge $$$ for internet that they thought they were getting for free. If you haven't used the internet services on a ship - you have no idea how it all works. I am glad I am finding out what Princess taketh away prior to my cruise - better to have it known upfront and not be mad about it the first day of vacation. I have read many threads that state this cruise will "spoil us" because its our first suite - so far... I am not feeling spoiled but rather soured away from a future suite.

Well said Woobstr. I am not happy about this. My first cruse on Princess and I was counting on this as I have to stay in contact with my office. At worst they should give suite passengers a certain amount of time like they do Elites. I spent a lot of money for my suite and one of things I was taking into consideration was the free internet. Really upset about this. Shame on Princess.

In all probability, many Elites have spent an awful lot more than you in your first suite on Princess to be able to get a 'limited' amount of free internet minutes. I also realise that a lot of Elites have got there by booking a majority of very short cruises in inside cabins. However, I do think if your suite has been booked and paid for under the old system, then Princess should not change your access to free unlimited internet but I also think that 'perks' should really come from loyalty to the Princess brand and by the number of days cruised, not the number of cruises.

... but I also think that 'perks' should really come from loyalty to the Princess brand and by the number of days cruised, not the number of cruises.

Advancing in loyalty tiers in the three lines we typically sail (Carnival, Celebrity, NCL) were ALL based on # of sailings when we began with them. As of now, both NCL and Carnival (just in the last couple of weeks) have switched to # of days cruised, which I feel is a better judge of loyalty as compared to a simple cruise count. Both Celebrity and NCL give extra credit for suites, Carnival does not.

I am totally new to Princess, so am unaware as to how they count/credit cruises for loyalty... but it sounds like a system which is probably due for an overhaul if it's still based on # of cruises. Having said that, I feel Celebrity is behind the times (other than their suite credit and additional credits for sailings of 12+days) and that we will probably be hearing from them in the next year or two... one hopes!

Tom

Interestingly enough, the new list does mention "Select Grand Suites also feature personal computer,wet bar and fireplace".

I guess the select grand suites have a personal computer for decoration purposes now.

There are many things one can do on a personal computer besides internet. Solitaire, for example.

There are many things one can do on a personal computer besides internet. Solitaire, for example.

Solitaire, though I enjoy it for a short period of time, is a sure fire way to put oneself to SLEEP! :D

Tom

Only if the software is preloaded onto the computer.

Princess does not allow you to add any software to the system.

I am totally new to Princess, so am unaware as to how they count/credit cruises for loyalty... but it sounds like a system which is probably due for an overhaul if it's still based on # of cruises.

It is based on number of cruises or number of days, whichever benefits you.

For example, to reach platinum level you need 5 completed cruises or 50 cruise days (effective at the end of the cruise when you get that total).

However, if you paid for a suite it counts as two cruises. If you traveled solo and thus paid for a phantom 2nd passenger, it also counts as two cruises.

It is based on number of cruises or number of days, whichever benefits you.

For example, to reach platinum level you need 5 completed cruises or 150 cruise days (effective at the end of the cruise when you get that total).

However, if you paid for a suite it counts as two cruises. If you traveled solo and thus paid for a phantom 2nd passenger, it also counts as two cruises.

Thanks for the info (though I hope you meant 15 cruises or 150 days... if not, let me go ahead and book four more)!

That's nice that they allow solo cruisers double credit... since that's what they paid for!

Tom

Thanks for the info (though I hope you meant 5 cruises or 50 days... if not, let me go ahead and book four more)!

That's nice that they allow solo cruisers double credit... since that's what they paid for!

Tom

A typo on my part (since corrected).

5 cruises or 50 to reach platinum, 15 cruises or 150 days to reach elite.

Only if the software is preloaded onto the computer.

Princess does not allow you to add any software to the system.

Good point. You are a lot smarter about the details than I am.

Advancing in loyalty tiers in the three lines we typically sail (Carnival, Celebrity, NCL) were ALL based on # of sailings when we began with them. As of now, both NCL and Carnival (just in the last couple of weeks) have switched to # of days cruised, which I feel is a better judge of loyalty as compared to a simple cruise count. Both Celebrity and NCL give extra credit for suites, Carnival does not.

I am totally new to Princess, so am unaware as to how they count/credit cruises for loyalty... but it sounds like a system which is probably due for an overhaul if it's still based on # of cruises. Having said that, I feel Celebrity is behind the times (other than their suite credit and additional credits for sailings of 12+days) and that we will probably be hearing from them in the next year or two... one hopes!

Tom

We are almost at Elite level after many nights cruising with Princess. They have two ways of calculating the loyalty levels - either 150 nights or 10 cruises. After all the moans and groans maybe they should do it by dollars spent - that way passengers spending more would reach the higher levels quicker - much fairer.

We are almost at Elite level after many nights cruising with Princess. They have two ways of calculating the loyalty levels - either 150 nights or 10 cruises. After all the moans and groans maybe they should do it by dollars spent - that way passengers spending more would reach the higher levels quicker - much fairer.

15 cruises, not 10

In a way they do use dollars spent as you get extra cruise credits for paying for a suite and if you pay the single supplement when traveling solo.

Someone sailing solo in a suite can make elite after just five cruises.

15 cruises, not 10

In a way they do use dollars spent as you get extra cruise credits for paying for a suite and if you pay the single supplement when traveling solo.

Someone sailing solo in a suite can make elite after just five cruises.

I am sure you meant after 8 cruises in a suite.:)

Mike

I disagree. There are people who pay for suites who abuse the system also. I am not saying you abuse the system but I know some who have paid for suites and do abuse the system.

LOL, I am a golfer and I remember a story from a newly opened country club a number of years ago. All the members were complaining about slow play and blaming it on guests and the general public being allowed to play "their" course. After a members only event on the course, the golf pro stood up and said that the average round that day lasted about 6 hours (way, way longer than anyone should tolerate). He then pointed out that there was nobody on the course but members, so they better stop pointing their fingers. I wasn't a member, but a friend of my was. We are both very fast golfers (under three hours walking in a threesome or foursome for 18 holes on a typical course) and we got a rip roaring laugh out of telling this story over and over to those who believed they were never guilty of slow play.

Technology has changed and the means of access at sea has not kept up with the needs of passengers. I'm sorry to see suite guests lose this perk, but I also understand that this may just be a first step in a better "pay to play" system.

Archived