Those SIM things

indigosails

I have read snippets here and there on CC about special things that you can get to protect your card from being "read" in your pocket.

Can someone enlighten me? What is this all about?

Getting ready for a month in Europe and wondering if this is something I need to take precautions for.

Thanks!

A SIM card is the key center of the memory/brain of a cell phone. It can't be read remotely.

What you are hearing about is a RFID chip. There is much talk there about the possibility (not probability) of reading RFID chips from distances of up to 20 feet with a special device. However, there aren't many RFID chips out there in high value areas like credit cards- most RFID chips are in the ID cards you wave at security locking devices like doors. You have seen how those work- you need to be within a couple of inches. So the theory if it being read from 20+ feet is very weak- like the signal.

You have nothing to worry about in Europe. Overall, very low chance of a security breach, but if you read it on the Internet, it must be true.

First poster is right on SIM. It's in a cell phone and stays there.

The RFID in your credit card is different and it can be read at distance. But a fundamental truth of radio signals is that you can read at a longer distance if you get a stronger transmitter or a better receiver. Since crooks can not change the power of the transmitter in your card, they COULD use a larger focused antenna. I knw it CAN be done. However, remember possible is not probable.

And for $1.99 in my local drug store, I bought a sleev to cover my card. Small cost to get on with it. (My choice would be ny credit card company not use RFID, but I was not asked.). For my card, it can ony be used to charge a purchase under $50 but it could be used again 30 seconds later. Of course, two close fast purchases would be seen as fraud by credit card folks FAST!

I know there are sleeves available for purchase, since we sell them in the luggage store I work in. I also had one from my bank(lost it) they gave it to me free of charge.

We also carry wallets and passport covers with RFID coverage. Newer Pacsafe backpacks, purses, wallets, etc... now come with an RFID pocket sewn in to the piece.

In other words, if you have a travel/luggage store close by, check them out. People are constantly surprised at all the travel gadgets we sell.

I'm actually considering an RFID-blocking wallet or credit card holder, and not just for travel. I don't like the proliferation of the RFID-enabled credit cards, and I'd refuse that technology (payWave and PayPass) if I could do so while still having Visa and Mastercard credit cards.

I'm actually considering an RFID-blocking wallet or credit card holder, and not just for travel. I don't like the proliferation of the RFID-enabled credit cards, and I'd refuse that technology (payWave and PayPass) if I could do so while still having Visa and Mastercard credit cards.

This is one style we carry and it sells well.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Travelon+RFID+Blocking+Tri%2DFold+Wallet&pf_id=PAOHIDKIGNFMCLJF&dept_id=3273&mscssid=1UXG8QWGRQ2M8JPEE0PJS23838500439

It's probably not as sturdy and well made as a nice leather wallet, but it serves the purpose, such as for travel. We also have passport covers and a card case in the same line.

Other than that, there are metal wallets, we sell Ogon

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=Ogon+Designs&dept_id=12690

I like the look of them, but think they are bulky to carry in a pocket. They carry several cards, cash has to be folded a couple times to fit into it. There are other brands out there that are cheaper but I've not seen those in person, only on TV or online. I never really can tell the quality of something online and I don't particularly trust reviews, since other people have different expectations. I'm a shop in person person.

So why, if the problem is apparently so severe, only take the alum wallets to Europe? Wouldn't it be a serious problem in the US, particularly as we have some many RFID reader systems for security doors?

Fact is, there is very little evidence stealing anything of value is possible. It certainly isn't common, and probably is extremely hard to do.

Okay, so if I don't have a wave-and-pay card, just an ordinary credit card, that means it doesn't have RFID technology and I don't have to worry about it, is that right?

Correct.

Bruce, I agree it's not a real problem now, but I can see it becoming the next wave of scamming since it's easier than stealing the info from a fake reader. Frankly, I've never been pickpocketed either, but I am aware of the risks. Here's an interesting collection of facts from Snopes (the urban legend guru site) with some truths and hype about the problem http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp Even though I'm not liable for purchases made with stolen information, it's still a pain in the patoot to have to deal with.

Archived