Beds on RCI (LOS)?

I don't see much discussion about the beds on RCI in general.

We have been on the Vision, Grandeur, Splendour, Souveirgn, but not for 10+ years. We've been cruising w/Princess (& Celebrity) so it's been a long time.

We have an OS booked on a TA cruise in October, and we're wondering if we need to schlep our 2 1/2 " memory foam mattress with us as we have done on our Princess cruises. The beds are just awful on Princess....but got a great tip to bring along one of these toppers and it made all the difference and wasn't nearly as cumbersome as it may sound.

But will we need to bring it on an RCI mattress? We discovered it wasn't necessary on the Solstice...but you just never know.

Are the beds any different in an OS....or same mattress whether you are in an inside or suite?

Thanks....

In May the beds were very comfortable.

On our first two cruises, AOS in 2009 and 2010, by the end of the week I was very uncomfortable. The beds on Oasis and Freedom, 2011 and 2012, were the best and I think I slept better than at home (probably helped being in a bigger bed than what we have at home). But the mattresses were very comfortable. On Freedom specifically they seemed to be memory foam.

On our first two cruises, AOS in 2009 and 2010, by the end of the week I was very uncomfortable. The beds on Oasis and Freedom, 2011 and 2012, were the best and I think I slept better than at home (probably helped being in a bigger bed than what we have at home). But the mattresses were very comfortable. On Freedom specifically they seemed to be memory foam.

We rarely ever get the size we have at home (CA King), but that darn tempur-pedic bed we bought for home has spoiled us. We didn't even know we didn't have a good mattress until we bought the tempur-pedic.

I wonder if the owner suites have a slightly upgraded mattress? Are they still twins pushed together?

All of RCI's bedding was replaced with pillowtop mattresses a few years ago. You won't need an eggcrate. Yes...all but the big suites have twins pushed into queen/king beds.....they are quite comfortable and you won't notice a gap.

With all the fresh sea air and all the activities you will sleep like a baby

Yeah....you would think so, but after 12 cruises, most of them 14+ days, a good mattress has become more important than it used to be.

We have never bothered with egg crates. To us, they provide zero relief from a cr*ppy mattress. The 2 1/2 memory foam topper has been a life saver though, at least on Princess.

I suppose it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

It's not an issue unless it bothers you....(I speak from experience....the type/condition of a mattress never bothered me for the first 20 years of travel).

Thanks for the replies....

:-)

The beds on Royal Caribbean are amazing. So much so you might even want to buy one for yourself.

http://royalcaribbeanbeddingcollection.com/shopping/

After spending a small fortune on our CA King Temper-Pedic Celebrity (now called Diamond, I believe), I don't plan on buying another mattress for another decade or two!

But thank you for that link....that is most helpful!

Dawn

Archived