Older Cruise Photos

sue117

My mother sent me some old family photos and I thought that you all might get a kick out of them.

The first is of my grandmother. I am not sure when it was taken, but I am guessing in the 60s or 70s. She is getting ready to board the Rotterdam.

PaulineAllenRotterdam70smaybe.jpg

This second photo is also my grandmother. I'm not sure what ship it is. Again, I don't have the exact date on this photo, but I'm guessing early 80s as my Nana looks a bit older than in the last photo. I have no idea who the captain is and I"m just assuming it's from Holland America as that was her favorite cruise line.

PaulineAllenmeetingcaptaincruise.jpg

This last photo makes me laugh. This is me (at age 14.5) my mom and my grandmother in Dec 1987. I know this isn't a Holland America ship, but I thought it was funny. There I am in my acid jeans and the rugby shirt...with a plastic bag as a carry on? And why oh why did I bring my "boombox" with me on a cruise?!?! lol Too funny!

SusanPaulineJane1287cruise.jpg

This last photo makes me laugh. This is me (at age 14.5) my mom and my grandmother in Dec 1987. I know this isn't a Holland America ship, but I thought it was funny. There I am in my acid jeans and the rugby shirt...with a plastic bag as a carry on? And why oh why did I bring my "boombox" with me on a cruise?!?! lol Too funny!

Think the boom box is an 80's thing. There is another tread similar to this I think on the RC board a week or so ago and that picture was from the 80's and person was carrying a boom box. Ahhh the 80's, those were the days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

I did get a kick out of them. Thanks for sharing.

I suspect the first one was taken in the 70's, as that is when HAL was known as Holland America Cruises, and used that triple wavy-line logo.

OMG I love the boombox lol I graduated from high school in '88 so I completely understand how sacred the boombox was lol I remember taking one to Mexico (beach camping) and doing the moonwalk on a rock wall on the beach in Ensenada somewhere around 1am lol We also ALWAYS took one on our house boat. I can remember sitting in the bow of the ski boat holding it on the seat with one hand, and the orange safety flag in the other, blasting it while we took turns water skiing lol ahh good times, good times lol

Thanks for posting these. Your outfit in the last one is painful. Painfully familiar;) Down to the shoes. I also remember carrying a boombox everywhere. Cassette tapes! I don't think my kids even know what those are.

Archived