More cruises having 200% supplement for solos

luvcruisn'

I am also a solo traveler and just booked a 64 day on the Princendam for a 50% extra . I have found that this is for inside and outside cabins and only goes to 200% for verandah and up. This may varry for different cruises but this is a Grand voyage that tend to be more expensive. So I travel in a cabin that is only the 50%.

My next cruise with HAL, as a solo, may very well be my last as it is too expensive to cruise with them as a solo!:(

Bus tours would become more of an economical option!

Let us know if there any good bus tours to Tahiti... and China from the west coast Bet they have to put 400 lbs iof air in the tires to make the drive from LA or Vancouver

I am also a solo traveler and just booked a 64 day on the Princendam for a 50% extra . I have found that this is for inside and outside cabins and only goes to 200% for verandah and up. This may varry for different cruises but this is a Grand voyage that tend to be more expensive. So I travel in a cabin that is only the 50%.

Generally, I do think the longer cruises have lower supps because they are harder to fill.

Just a question to all of those who say they spend more when traveling alone than when traveling with someone... Do you spend more than you and your traveling companion combined? Do you spend enough to make up for paying 1/2 fare for your cabin (which you are asking for when saying there should be no solo "supplements") and not having a second person doing any spending at all?

Being single sucks. I'm a widow and not a solo cruiser by choice, but by circumstance. But it doesn't make me think that the cruise line should subsidize my vacation.

I consider the 150% price for my cabin on the 2014 world cruise a discount -- I'm paying 3/4 of what a couple would pay for the same cabin. That's a pretty good discount.

The increasing solo suppliments suggest cruise lines doing so are able to sell those cabins on certain sailings to a double occupancy, so there is no need to sell it for less to a solo. I still see 50-60% suppliments on many sails. The ones getting nailed appear to be longer cruises independent of the Carribbean.

Solo passengers are not a protected class. If I only have one leg or hand, I have to buy a pair of shoes or gloves.

There are some terrific deals on various luxury cruise lines right now as their capacity exceeds demand. Most rarely sail R/T from U.S. ports and generally speaking leave the 7 sail cruises to the mass market.Many have trended towards an all inclusive state which does not please everyone.

Just a question to all of those who say they spend more when traveling alone than when traveling with someone... Do you spend more than you and your traveling companion combined? Do you spend enough to make up for paying 1/2 fare for your cabin (which you are asking for when saying there should be no solo "supplements") and not having a second person doing any spending at all?

My memory is not the best but did someone actually say on this thread that there s/b no single supp.? I know I've never said that.

Solo passengers are not a protected class. If I only have one leg or hand, I have to buy a pair of shoes or gloves.

Did someone say that? I also expect the cruise lines should stop giving away cruises to 3rd and 4th pax. They do eat and I'm sure children don't bring in that much revenue despite what some might like to believe.

I just love how some people love to go into attack mode when it comes to singles.

Did someone say that? I also expect the cruise lines should stop giving away cruises to 3rd and 4th pax. They do eat and I'm sure children don't bring in that much revenue despite what some might like to believe.

I just love how some people love to go into attack mode when it comes to singles.

Not "attack mode" simply responding to those who feel entitled to getting a cabin for half price.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many of you are hung up on the single supp percentage. It is what it is. What is your cutoff point? Is it 200% of the lowest inside stateroom? Compared to 200% of a verandah cabin, the inside might look like a good deal. Why even bother with figuring out what percentage you're being charged? Either you can afford it or you can't.

If the cruise lines would do what hotels do and show the price for staterooms at double occupancy rates instead of per person, then this discussion probably wouldn't even be happening. Hotel rooms are priced at double occupancy and the published rates reflect that. Have any of you ever been successful at getting these reduced because only one person is in the room? Do you even consider the fact that you're being charged for a nonexistent occupant?

It seems like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. You want to cruise but can't stomach paying a 200% supplement even if the total price is in your budget. Oh well, leaves more cabin choices for me. :D

Did someone say that?

Post #12

I also expect the cruise lines should stop giving away cruises to 3rd and 4th pax. They do eat and I'm sure children don't bring in that much revenue despite what some might like to believe.

When a cruise ship sails with 2 passengers in each cabin it's at 100% capacity. Anything less means the cruise is more likely to not break even. Anything more and it's likely the cruise will be profitable.

If the cruise lines would do what hotels do and show the price for staterooms at double occupancy rates instead of per person, then this discussion probably wouldn't even be happening. Hotel rooms are priced at double occupancy and the published rates reflect that. Have any of you ever been successful at getting these reduced because only one person is in the room? Do you even consider the fact that you're being charged for a nonexistent occupant?

This is a very good point. I used the hotel analogy last night when discussing this with my sister and she said "Yes, but the hotel's price is the price that is showing in the listing or ad or whatever. The cruise's price is the list price * whatever." It's a perception thing, I guess.

The bottom line is, the price is the price. It may change over time. If you are willing to wait and see if the price drops, do it. If you want to go on THIS cruise and have a particular cabin... book the cruise and be prepared to pay the price or cancel. Cruises are not an entitlement. Nobody's attacking singles on this thread or at the cruise lines.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many of you are hung up on the single supp percentage. It is what it is. What is your cutoff point? Is it 200% of the lowest inside stateroom? Compared to 200% of a verandah cabin, the inside might look like a good deal. Why even bother with figuring out what percentage you're being charged? Either you can afford it or you can't.

It seems like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. You want to cruise but can't stomach paying a 200% supplement even if the total price is in your budget. Oh well, leaves more cabin choices for me. :D

Yes, I get it. It's the total price. I've said that many times myself. It's not a matter of being able to afford it in my case. The thing that gets me is giving the cabins away for 3rd and 4th pax. I really don't care how people explain that one away. Some people will stop cruising because of the supp. I likely won't stop cruising. Do the cruiselines have so much business that they can afford to turn customers away?

I'm not going to quit cruising, but I will probably take fewer cruises, be more selective, and cruise less on HAL. For example, my upcoming partial transit Panama Canal cruise is on the Coral Princess. Same # of days as basically the same cruise on Zuiderdam, but $400 less for a solo inside cabin. $400 covers my airfare to and from FLL. Princess won, HAL lost.

My cruises to date have been on Carnival and HAL. Carnival was offering solos 150% on their 1A cabins, and I was getting 130-150% fares on HAL for their inside and outside cabins. With pretty much everyone charging double, I'm branching out and looking at other lines, including NCL and Royal Caribbean.

I'm just a little surprised that the cruise lines have chosen a down period in the economy to raise fares for solos.

Roz

I can't say that I object to the Single Supplement, no matter what the percentage is. It's the price. Can I afford it? That's the only question. What I do object to is this. If a cabin has two people for a 7 day cruise with a total cost of $2000, HAL awards 14 Mariner Days. If a cabin has one person for a 7 day cruise with a total cost of $2000, HAL awards 7 Mariner Days. As many people have stated, HAL's Mariner Benefits don't cost the company that much, so give the solo cruiser the number of days commensurate with what they pay for the cabin.

Yes, I get it. It's the total price. I've said that many times myself. It's not a matter of being able to afford it in my case. The thing that gets me is giving the cabins away for 3rd and 4th pax. I really don't care how people explain that one away. Some people will stop cruising because of the supp. I likely won't stop cruising. Do the cruiselines have so much business that they can afford to turn customers away?

(bolding mine)

That and the upgrades and upsells that we read about on some cruises that I know have had the 200% single. HAL can give away a bazillion category comp upgrade, yet HAS to have the 200% single.

Last year I got one cruise at about 150% but being somewhat impoverished this year ;) , I'm not even pricing out a solo "getaway" so don't know which cruises are and are not 200%. But I know that the one cruise I priced for late 2013 is 200% solo.

(bolding mine)

That and the upgrades and upsells that we read about on some cruises that I know have had the 200% single. HAL can give away a bazillion category comp upgrade, yet HAS to have the 200% single.

Last year I got one cruise at about 150% but being somewhat impoverished this year ;) , I'm not even pricing out a solo "getaway" so don't know which cruises are and are not 200%. But I know that the one cruise I priced for late 2013 is 200% solo.

No kidding. Don't get me started on interline rates. There is another group that gets their cruises for next to free. One poster was bragging on the boards how she got her cabin for next to nothing. I've heard that they are not supposed to mention prices. When I asked the poster about it the post disappeared. Why aren't the people that complain about "giving" cabins to single complaining about HAL doing that:rolleyes:?

I just checked for 2013, and the Voyage of the Vikings is now only 160% single supplement. It used to be 200%. Perhaps the difference is because the voyage used to be on the Maasdam, but in 2013 it is going to be on the Veendam, a less desireable ship, by many poster's views. I have been on both ships, and do prefer the Maasdam.

1) I should get a discount as a single cruiser

2) Why should trird or fourth passengers go free if I have to pay 200%

3) If we pay supplement we should be entitled to the same number of Mariner days as if there were two people in the cabin. Like mariner days are such a perk

Why should'nt all passengers be entitled the the lowest fare even if it is after the final paymenr date

Why do people have the attitude "I am entitled to the same things as others"

Check out the cruise, check the price, check other cruise lines. If you find something suitable book it, but stop the complaining

Archived