More cruises having 200% supplement for solos

luvcruisn'

When I go solo to Europe it's possible to go on a booking site and find hotels with single rooms. When I cruise I pay double; just like a hotel in the US. Wouldn't it be nice if solos' got better recognition.

I try not to consider the % of the supplement...but rather whether the total cost of the cruise is within my budget..."BUT" on my upcoming Panama Canal cruise it was rather irriatating to find I am paying a 200% supplement because I booked a balcony cabin...if I had booked an ocean view it would have been 150%...talk about rubbing salt in ones wounds...:(

I try not to consider the % of the supplement...but rather whether the total cost of the cruise is within my budget..."BUT" on my upcoming Panama Canal cruise it was rather irriatating to find I am paying a 200% supplement because I booked a balcony cabin...if I had booked an ocean view it would have been 150%...talk about rubbing salt in ones wounds...:(

I've been booking more balconies lately. I haven't found any for less than 200%. Although I don't like it I can sort of understand. I think the cruiseline can sell a balcony easier.

I agree with you. My problem is now that I have gone solo for quite a few cruises, I'm not sure if I want to share. I have all the cabin, storage etc. I can have breakfast delivered when I want it, go to bed and wake up when I want to. I am really getting to love traveling solo.

donna

There's always an "up" side, isn't there. :D

But it does get very expensive, and that is a downer. :(

I have been happily cruising solo for the last 15 years. Occasionally, I will cruise with my fabulous mother, however, I miss my freedom. I cannot afford to pay more than $200 per night when cruising solo. So far, I have been able to stay within this limit with outside cabins with HAL, however this price is harder to find these days. I have considered trying a single room on the NCL Epic but I prefer 10 or 14 days cruises which the Epic doesn't offer. I would really hate to give up cruising if HAL starts charging double.

I am also seeing a pattern that it is becoming harder to book as a solo and receive promotional rates. I recently received a past passenger offer from Cunard and there is a footnote stating that the fares are not applicable to single occupancy.

A few weeks ago I booked a BCN to FL transatlantic on HAL and was able to get the past passenger promo rate on a balcony (at 200%) with a good deal on cruise air. Before I made my deposit a new promotion was published and I was told that it was not available to solos.

After I made the deposit (via an agency) for my courtesy hold reservation the flights were booked. The ship is scheduled to arrive in FL at 7 a.m. and the flight home FL to NJ was booked for 5:45 p.m. with an arrival in Newark NJ after midnight. When the agency tried to change the homebound flight, HAL said that the fare difference would be approx. $600 more to cover the flight change to an early afternoon departure and the air deviation cost. The same early afternoon flight is available on-line for approx. $120 for a one-way ticket.

I think that poor judgment was exercised when arranging for a solo woman to arrive in Newark after midnight. I sail a few times per year and spend a respectable amount of money on board each trip. When the QE2 was taken out of service, Cunard promised to accommodate their loyal solo passenger base. A footnote stating that the cruise fare does not apply to singles is contrary to their promise. HAL has me flying into Newark after midnight … it seems that Carnival Corp. is not interested in repeat solo business.

Keep your eyes open !!! NCL has single cabins at single rates on the Epic, and other lines are contemplating doing the same thing. I believe the Breakaway (New NCL ship) will also have single cabins.

If that proves to be popular, the other lines will soon follow. Single cruisers are becoming a larger segment of market, and are being recognized.

I hope you are correct. :)

Totally agree pathfinderess, there should be no discrimination against solo travelers. Should be no problem if you book a double on your own, but I guess they're missing out on money spent on the ship then..

They are also missing out on the hotel service charge to augment crew wages.

MV Discovery and Voyages to Antiquity have solo-friendly rates and even some solo cabins.

How about changing all the smaller HAL lanai cabins into special-fare solo cabins?

A solo passenger could just step outside their cabin and feel part of the larger world onboard the people friendly promenade deck and the smaller size of the useful space after the lanai door additions makes it more compact for two people, where a special price solo cabin might really make this space work and be a desirable draw.

I do think HAL could do well attending to the needs of solo passengers with special dedicated cabins and pricing. So if the lanai cabins don't work out as well as hoped, this might be a way to make them work in a different direction.

(NB: I have no idea if lanai cabins are getting fully booked or not. Just speculating after recent comments here that found them less than desirable for two.)

Sounds good to me!

The 9/17 sailing of the Prinsendam has a zero solo sup- 14 nites, Barcelona to Athens.

Crystal is probably the most consistent value for solo cruisers. Solo sups tend to be in the 25-35% range.

What's increasingly rare are lower solo sups out of U.S. ports, on any cruise line outside of the shoulder seasons.

Single supplements on most cruises has been 100% for a number of years.

Anything less, consider it a bargain.

That is simply not true. Have you ever priced one out? I've had many, many cruises where I didn't pay 200%.

That is simply not true. Have you ever priced one out? I've had many, many cruises where I didn't pay 200%.

so have i. usually, 125 - 150% because i book steerage for the most part. i've had a couple where i did not pay any (but those were RARE and several tears ago).

You might want to check out Silversea. For my November cruise in a balcony cabin, I'm paying 150%. I travel with a friend but we get our own cabins. He's in an ocean view suite at 125%. It's all inclusive, all suites, and we each get a $500 OBC.

I do like HAL but if Silversea keeps the lower SS, it might become my cruise line of choice. Especially since it's all inclusive.

Crystal and Silversea have such high base prices that even though the supplement is a lower %, the end price ends up being beyond my budget.

Roz

I try to book when a cruise/voyage is first announced. I find I can usually get 150% fare. Also if there is a cruise that I'm interested in, and the fare is in the 200% range, I follow it. Sometimes they will reduce the supplement if the cruise isn't selling well.

The 9/17 sailing of the Prinsendam has a zero solo sup- 14 nites, Barcelona to Athens.

Crystal is probably the most consistent value for solo cruisers. Solo sups tend to be in the 25-35% range.

What's increasingly rare are lower solo sups out of U.S. ports, on any cruise line outside of the shoulder seasons.

Crystal and Silversea have such high base prices that even though the supplement is a lower %, the end price ends up being beyond my budget.

Roz

Understand that every cruise is different and what's true in 1 case may not be true in another. It's true that Crystal is very solo friendly and it's also true that the base fares tend to be high but every case is different. I will soon be doing a westbound transatlantic very similar to the westbound half of Maasdam's Voyage of the Vikings and my per diem on Crystal is less than it would have been in a Maasdam inside cabin. This is clearly the exception but it does happen. Here's a thread giving an outline of Crystal's prices (all double occupancy, but the usual single supplement is a reasonable 25%.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1643521

Roy

Understand that every cruise is different and what's true in 1 case may not be true in another. It's true that Crystal is very solo friendly and it's also true that the base fares tend to be high but every case is different. I will soon be doing a westbound transatlantic very similar to the westbound half of Maasdam's Voyage of the Vikings and my per diem on Crystal is less than it would have been in a Maasdam inside cabin. This is clearly the exception but it does happen. Here's a thread giving an outline of Crystal's prices (all double occupancy, but the usual single supplement is a reasonable 25%.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1643521

Roy

Thanks for the information and the link. Interesting.

• 2 months later...
on a lot of cruises, you can't book solo no matter what the cost. hal (and other lines) is restricting the number of solo pax, even if they pay double. the only way to get around this is to book a 'friend' who turns into a no-show.

Can this really be true that HAL is restricting the number of solo cruisers I just can't believe this that bthis could be true.

ZU

Can this really be true that HAL is restricting the number of solo cruisers I just can't believe that this could be true. ZU

I haven't experienced this, but another poster on these boards has. It seems that on some popular cruises there is a limit to the number of cabins that HAL will sell to single occupants, and once that limit is reached, a solo cruiser can no longer book. If you are interested in a specific itinerary, it would be better to book sooner, rather than waiting to get a better price later on, as by then there may be no cabins for a solo available.

Can this really be true that HAL is restricting the number of solo cruisers I just can't believe this that bthis could be true.

ZU

I haven't experienced this' date=' but another poster on these boards has. It seems that on some popular cruises there is a limit to the number of cabins that HAL will sell to single occupants, and once that limit is reached, a solo cruiser can no longer book. If you are interested in a specific itinerary, it would be better to book sooner, rather than waiting to get a better price later on, as by then there may be no cabins for a solo available.[/quote']

Yes -- many cruises HAL does limit the number of solo cruisers.

HAL loses money on solo cruisers. HAL may charge you 200% for the cruise. But HAL loses money as there is only 1 person spending money on the ship instead of 2 people. And every dollar counts.

Archived