More cruises having 200% supplement for solos

luvcruisn'

Yes -- many cruises HAL does limit the number of solo cruisers.

HAL loses money on solo cruisers. HAL may charge you 200% for the cruise. But HAL loses money as there is only 1 person spending money on the ship instead of 2 people. And every dollar counts.

Yeah, so the story goes. I've met some VERY cheap couples on board. HAL should charge these cheapies a premium to go on a cruise and then there would be a huge outcry. I get tired of hearing this stereotype. In my case it isn't true.

Yeah, so the story goes. I've met some VERY cheap couples on board. HAL should charge these cheapies a premium to go on a cruise and then there would be a huge outcry. I get tired of hearing this stereotype. In my case it isn't true.

Nor mine either. I find that I tend to spend MORE, not less, when I'm traveling alone than when I'm traveling with someone.

There were primarily couples on the 45-day Atlantic Adventurer last year, yet many evenings in Mix it was just me and the guitar player.

Yes -- many cruises HAL does limit the number of solo cruisers.

HAL loses money on solo cruisers. HAL may charge you 200% for the cruise. But HAL loses money as there is only 1 person spending money on the ship instead of 2 people. And every dollar counts.

maybe. as a solo cruise and signle person, some of us have quite a bit of disposable income. we're not paying for diapers, college tuition, a work-at-home-spouse, etc.

You & me both, Lorene. My onboard espenses for 14 days are around $600.00 & there are no shore excursions in this amount as I don't take them. I also tip cabin stewards extra since there is only one of me.

:)Hi

This is an interesting post. As a solo cruiser for the past 5 years I have yet to come across a 200% upcharge for a solo. The cruises have all been in excess of 14 days. In fact this year on a cruise from Sydney to Vancouver on the Volendam I was booked in a cat. C and received an upgrade to a VA for $300. In April of next year my cat. G on the Westerdam for the south pacific is only 136% of a double.

Niew Amsterdam – 1985, 1988, 1992

Noordam – 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991 (2), 1994, 1997

SS Rotterdan – 1987

Ryndam – 1986

Maasdam -1998

Zaandam – 2001, 2008, 2010

Statendam – 2002

Amsterdam – 2004

Westerdam – 2006, 2009, 2011, 2013(French Polynesia)

Volendam - 2012

I'm noticing the same thing. Starting with 2012, HAL's Alaskan sailings are all 200% for solos. The cruises where a single can pay 130%-175% are getting to be few and far between.

Roz

HAL seems to be changing their pricing model ... perhaps the increased single supplement is to balance out the 3rd and 4ths sailing free or nearly so on many itineraries. The object, of course, is to get heads in beds and fill the ship and perhaps HAL has discovered that solos may be more willing to pay a hefty upcharge than are families to pay a meaningful amount for the extra little travelers in the same cabin.:(

On my recent cruise I earned 5 cruise days from money spent on board, shopping on board and shore excursions. I think I probably hold up to most doubles on my spending, but as a solo I can't afford the 200%. I will have to cut somewhere.

Nor mine either. I find that I tend to spend MORE, not less, when I'm traveling alone than when I'm traveling with someone.

There were primarily couples on the 45-day Atlantic Adventurer last year, yet many evenings in Mix it was just me and the guitar player.

You & me both, Lorene. My onboard espenses for 14 days are around $600.00 & there are no shore excursions in this amount as I don't take them. I also tip cabin stewards extra since there is only one of me.

I understand that having two people instead of one NORMALLY increases on-board revenue, so of course charging a solo supplement would make good business sense. But there are exceptions since I spend quite a lot on board--and when I travel solo, I only book ship's excursions (just seems safer in my opinion), while I may not do that if I were traveling with someone else.

Would be nice if the cruise lines would keep track of on-board spending, then adjust their solo supplement accordingly--they'd then see that I generate so much on-board spending that they would offer me cruises without the solo supplement :D. Between ship excursions, purchases, alternate dining, and drinks, I've spent well over $100 per day :eek:, which I know is more than some couples spend. Knowing how much I spend on board means that having a 200% solo supplement limits the cruises I can afford. The only time I can afford the 200% solo supplement was when the cruise itself was reduced to almost half.

It's not about on-board revenues, it's about cabin revenues. HAL's bean counters obviously assign a price per cabin, and that's the avg price they want whether it's populated by 1, 2, 3 or 4 people. Thus 3rd & 4th pax can get a big price cut while solos pay more. Even though the tariff is shown as "per person" I'm willing to bet a free dessert in the Lido that the balance sheet projections are done "per cabin".

I understand that having two people instead of one NORMALLY increases on-board revenue, so of course charging a solo supplement would make good business sense. But there are exceptions since I spend quite a lot on board--and when I travel solo, I only book ship's excursions (just seems safer in my opinion), while I may not do that if I were traveling with someone else.

Would be nice if the cruise lines would keep track of on-board spending, then adjust their solo supplement accordingly--they'd then see that I generate so much on-board spending that they would offer me cruises without the solo supplement :D. Between ship excursions, purchases, alternate dining, and drinks, I've spent well over $100 per day :eek:, which I know is more than some couples spend. Knowing how much I spend on board means that having a 200% solo supplement limits the cruises I can afford. The only time I can afford the 200% solo supplement was when the cruise itself was reduced to almost half.

Perhaps someday they'll be able to track spending with laser precision, but I'm sure they already crunch numbers and must realize that in general one passenger in a cabin doesn't spend as much as two passengers in a cabin.

For every solo such as those you've quoted above, there are others (myself included) who travel solo and:

Rarely buy a shore excursion

Don't gamble

Don't use the spa

Don't purchase photos or shop onboard

Don't drink very much

If they ever start tracking spending by passenger, they will be likely to charge me MORE than a 200% supplement. ;)

It's not about on-board revenues, it's about cabin revenues. HAL's bean counters obviously assign a price per cabin, and that's the avg price they want whether it's populated by 1, 2, 3 or 4 people. Thus 3rd & 4th pax can get a big price cut while solos pay more. Even though the tariff is shown as "per person" I'm willing to bet a free dessert in the Lido that the balance sheet projections are done "per cabin".

You may be right that the cruise lines have a target based on revenue per cabin (so if we are ever on the same cruise, I'll spring for the free dessert in the Lido :D), but I would guess that my cabin's total expenditures would come close to rivaling some other cabins with two passengers. As I said, would be nice to get a lower solo supplement if that is the case, but I know that's probably never going to happen.

At least I do get extra days for the amount that I spend in OBC on HAL. And I get double cruise credits on Princess, so at least I'm getting something for paying double. Ideally, on every cruise line, I would get both double cruise credits for paying double (like Princess), and extra cruise days for OBC (like HAL). Oh well, I guess we can't have everything.

Someone mentioned booking a "friend" who then becomes a no show. I wonder what would happen in such a case. Could/would the cruiseline deny boarding to the person who did

My TA has done this for me twice and I had no problems, except of course paying 200%

Maybe they should run some sort of bulletin board type thing looking for cruise partner and then people can link up and find a person to share with

I believe that HAL has a single share program. Using that for me is about as tempting as poking my eyes out. I think they should also have a problem to show ultra cheap couple how to spend more;).

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Dave.

At least for those of us who take something more than the basic 7-day Caribbean cruise once a year, it's not easy to find a compatible friend who can get away for the same length of time, at the same time of year, and spend the same amount for fare, who also wants to go.

Too many variables that make it hard to find a share.

I agree with you, Ruth. I have friends and family that love to cruise, but few are available or have the money to do so very often. I think there are many solo cruisers that the cruise lines should consider catering to. I've recently booked a repositioning cruise on MSC, only because of the reasonable charge for solos.

My DH has basically decided he has had it with ocean cruising, and mine will have to be solo from now on. I am game, if I can find something for less than 200 percent. I'm particularly interested in the Baltics and Med. Does anyone know if certain trips are likely to have lower surcharges? I'm thinking when I retire I can look for last minute deals. True?

My DH has basically decided he has had it with ocean cruising, and mine will have to be solo from now on. I am game, if I can find something for less than 200 percent. I'm particularly interested in the Baltics and Med. Does anyone know if certain trips are likely to have lower surcharges? I'm thinking when I retire I can look for last minute deals. True?

It's not a surcharge, it's a discount.

Look at it this way. Say you and your husband pay $2000 for your cabin. Now your husband no longer wants to cruise with you so you want HAL to discount the cabin so you can occupy it alone. In the past, they may have offered you a $500 discount and allowed you to sail solo in the cabin for only $1,500. In many cases now, HAL is no longer discounting the cruises for solos and is requiring them to pay the same $2000 that is required when two people occupy the cabin.

It's not a surcharge, it's a discount.

Look at it this way. Say you and your husband pay $2000 for your cabin. Now your husband no longer wants to cruise with you so you want HAL to discount the cabin so you can occupy it alone. In the past, they may have offered you a $500 discount and allowed you to sail solo in the cabin for only $1,500. In many cases now, HAL is no longer discounting the cruises for solos and is requiring them to pay the same $2000 that is required when two people occupy the cabin.

Hal can also sail with an emply cabin or have to deeply discount it to sell it. Did you even think or that?

Hal can also sail with an emply cabin or have to deeply discount it to sell it. Did you even think or that?

No, I didn't.

Thank you so much for that brilliant comment.

You have truly enlightened me and I now see the error of my ways.

I was completely wrong when I opined that HAL offering a $2000 cabin to a solo traveler for only $1500 was in fact a discount, not a surcharge.

But I do have one question about your comment. Since apparently in the eye of solo travelers a discount is a surcharge, shouldn't you have written that HAL can also sail with an empty cabin or have to deeply surcharge it to sell it??

I anxiously await your explanation of this apparent conundrum.

No, I didn't.

Thank you so much for that brilliant comment.

You have truly enlightened me and I now see the error of my ways.

I was completely wrong when I opined that HAL offering a $2000 cabin to a solo traveler for only $1500 was in fact a discount, not a surcharge.

But I do have one question about your comment. Since apparently in the eye of solo travelers a discount is a surcharge, shouldn't you have written that HAL can also sail with an empty cabin or have to deeply surcharge it to sell it??

I anxiously await your explanation of this apparent conundrum.

I'm with you. I am a solo cruiser, but I understand that HAL, like all cruise lines and many hotels, bases their list price for a cabin on DOUBLE occupancy or twice the list price you see on whatever site, catalog or advertisement you are looking at.

IF the cabin looks likely to be sailing empty, HAL will discount the list price, but will still be likely to charge a single supplement above that list price because the discounted list price is still based on DOUBLE occupancy.

There is nothing unfair about a single supplement since the list price is clearly annotated as being based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. Those saying that cruise lines are discriminating are just not understanding that simple fact. HAL expects to get 2 x the list price for a cabin. They will try to get that price until it becomes clearly evident they need to lower it, but they'll still be looking for 2 x whatever price they set.

If it becomes pretty clear that the cabin is going to go unsold they might lower or even eliminate the supplement to get the cabin sold. To get that price you'd have to be willing to closely watch the prices, sail on a moment's notice, take whatever cabin is leftover, and take the chance you won't get to cruise at all.

If you are looking for less than a 200% solo cabin price (whether you call it a supplement or a discount), I can tell you the supplement on an inside cabin on the 2014 Grand World Voyage on the Amsterdam is 150% (at present). ;)

I would agree that there is a large component of solo travellers that spend as much or more than couples while onboard and perhaps HAL should look at those expenses and look at their single supplement to encourage more solo cruisers.

Archived