quiet beach- from Kings Wharf....

Michael50

Hi there...

My husband and I will be in Bermuda next week (on a Celebrity cruise) -

We would like to get to a quiet beach, could someone please suggest the best places for us to visit, and how to reach these? Ferry?

Thanks so much.....

horeshoe is best beach quite and you can get there by bus at hamiltion... Take ferry to hamiltion and get on bus...get to see hamiltion and beach same day...go to left for more alone time with hubby

john

Horseshoe beach is our all time favorite. Tip for you... Once you walk onto the beach, facing the ocean (if you want peace & quiet ) walk all the way to the left . If its low tide you can go thru the rock formations and onto many more quieter, private beaches. If it's high tide, take the walking path . I recommend since this is your first trip, take the walking path and just see all the differrent little beaches and coves there actually are.

I'm going to insert a few pix for you to see from the other end of Horseshoe beach. Its paradise on pink sand!!1

Enjoy.

Picture of my hubby enjoying his book on our own little private beach !!

Hi there...

We would like to get to a quiet beach, could someone please suggest the best places for us to visit, and how to reach these? Ferry?

Thanks so much.....

113_113.jpg.191a30a2c4cd2c7ccfa1e01f58baee87.jpg

118_118.jpg.4470d26be4d59092ac4cf6b92e97b5af.jpg

136_136.jpg.b91fefcfee7377999811a1f07ff54838.jpg

Hi there...

Thanks so much.....

I would suggest going to

on the South Shore. Just take a route #7 bus to get there; there is no need to take a ferry if you are going to any South Shore beach.

If WLB is not quiet enough there are other beaches you can walk to from there that are. There is a satellite photo of the paths and the beaches here. I would suggest printing it for your cruise.

SBtS

I heartily recommend bypassing busy Horseshoe Bay on the #7 bus from Dockyard if you want a quiet beach. Warwick Long Bay is as beautiful, just no restrooms and rentals there so everyone goes to Horseshoe. There is a vendor selling dogs and drinks at WLB. Beautiful long beach, and Jobson's Cove is a must-see right next to WLB. We spent a week across the street recently and WLB, Jobson's, and the other little coves there are gorgeous and much less crowded than Horseshoe and Elbow beaches.

If you'd like a beach all to yourselves we enjoyed renting a Boston Whaler from one of the watersport operators on the West End not far from King's Wharf. Somerset Bridge Watersports offers 13' & 15' boats (and a free taxi one-way), and H2O Watersports offers a 17" model. We rented from H2O and enjoyed seeing the coast from the Sound and ocean both, the West End is just a beautiful area to do this. But the best part is beaching on one of the small islands in Mangrove Bay or elsewhere along the coast and enjoying a very private lunch and cocktails. That was the ultimate "quiet beach" experience for us while staying in Bermuda. Not that expensive and a novice can do this.

Have a wonderful day!;)

Can you tell me the cost of renting the Boston Whaler???

This sounds fantastic!!!!

I heartily recommend bypassing busy Horseshoe Bay on the #7 bus from Dockyard if you want a quiet beach. Warwick Long Bay is as beautiful, just no restrooms and rentals there so everyone goes to Horseshoe. There is a vendor selling dogs and drinks at WLB. Beautiful long beach, and Jobson's Cove is a must-see right next to WLB. We spent a week across the street recently and WLB, Jobson's, and the other little coves there are gorgeous and much less crowded than Horseshoe and Elbow beaches.

If you'd like a beach all to yourselves we enjoyed renting a Boston Whaler from one of the watersport operators on the West End not far from King's Wharf. Somerset Bridge Watersports offers 13' & 15' boats (and a free taxi one-way), and H2O Watersports offers a 17" model. We rented from H2O and enjoyed seeing the coast from the Sound and ocean both, the West End is just a beautiful area to do this. But the best part is beaching on one of the small islands in Mangrove Bay or elsewhere along the coast and enjoying a very private lunch and cocktails. That was the ultimate "quiet beach" experience for us while staying in Bermuda. Not that expensive and a novice can do this.

Have a wonderful day!;)

Hi there...

Thanks so much.....

Just a few bus stops past Horseshoe Bay is Jobson's Cove (ask the bus driver and they'll tell you when to get off). It's often pictured on the front of Bermuda travel books. We were there 2 weeks ago and there were only a few families there. The water is calm because it's a cove. There are no facilities

there but there was a food truck one beach over on Warwick Long Bay.

We reserved one this afternoon for $200 (2-person, 13' boat, 6 hrs) plus gas (estimated $30). A four hour rental would have been $145, but DH talked me into 6 instead. A 4-person, 15' boat will be more expensive. Snorkel equipment is $8, coolers w/ice are $3 - $8 and fishing equipment is also available (don't remember the price, sorry). All safety equipment is included, and a cell phone with the company's number programmed into it for emergencies.

The price is per hour + gas, check their sites for pricing (somerset bridge and H2O Watersports). The 17' from H2O was a little more than the 13' from SB. Both excellent outfits.

Do tour Mangrove Bay and SB area and buzz the ships at Dockyard. And pack a lunch for a beach or snorkel stop. And 4 hrs is plenty of time to enjoy it all. You can book for 6 and return earlier if you've had enough.

Excellent day in West End!

Thanks so much, this may be something different to do for us.

Much appreciated.

We reserved one this afternoon for $200 (2-person, 13' boat, 6 hrs) plus gas (estimated $30). A four hour rental would have been $145, but DH talked me into 6 instead. A 4-person, 15' boat will be more expensive. Snorkel equipment is $8, coolers w/ice are $3 - $8 and fishing equipment is also available (don't remember the price, sorry). All safety equipment is included, and a cell phone with the company's number programmed into it for emergencies.

Hi there...

Thanks so much.....

Another vote for Warwick Long Bay or Jobsons Cove. Jobsons Cove is much smaller and will be quiet. As beautiful as Horseshoe Bay is, it will be crowded especially this time of the year. As others mentioned, the south shore beaches are easy to get to using the Pink #7 bus. Tell the driver where you want to get off. Church bay is also very quiet. We stopped there once on our way to Horseshoe, there were 4 other people on the beach! Also, no facilities- but a nice wood staircase to walk down to the beach and back up to the road....[church bay is the stop before horseshoe I think...ask the driver, they are eager to answer questions].

Another vote for Warwick Long Bay or Jobsons Cove. Jobsons Cove is much smaller and will be quiet. As beautiful as Horseshoe Bay is, it will be crowded especially this time of the year. As others mentioned, the south shore beaches are easy to get to using the Pink #7 bus. Tell the driver where you want to get off. Church bay is also very quiet. We stopped there once on our way to Horseshoe, there were 4 other people on the beach! Also, no facilities- but a nice wood staircase to walk down to the beach and back up to the road....[church bay is the stop before horseshoe I think...ask the driver, they are eager to answer questions].

how often does the bus run, we are traveling with our 4 kids and grandmother, so there are 7 of us...:confused::confused:

how often does the bus run, we are traveling with our 4 kids and grandmother, so there are 7 of us...:confused::confused:

The scheduled bus (route #7) that goes to the South Shore Beaches (to name a few - Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay & Church Bay) departs every 30 minutes from the Dockyard. But when a cruise ship is in port, unscheduled special buses are sometimes run to Horseshoe Bay, only, direct, i.e., no local stops.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

What is the advantage of taking the ferry to Hamilton and taking a bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay versus taking the bus directly from Dockyard if we're docked at Dockyard???

If we want to go the beach for a while and then go to the Swizzle Inn for lunch, would the first choice be a better one?:confused:

What is the advantage of taking the ferry to Hamilton and taking a bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay versus taking the bus directly from Dockyard if we're docked at Dockyard???

If we want to go the beach for a while and then go to the Swizzle Inn for lunch, would the first choice be a better one?:confused:

I can't think of any good reason for going to Hamilton on your way to Horseshoe Bay.

It would cost 2 fares, one for the ferry and one for the bus, travel time by ferry is about 20 minutes, and travel time to HSB is 30-35 minutes from either the Dockyard or Hamilton.

The (new) Swizzle Inn is located only about a 10 minute bus ride from HSB. I don't see how visiting the SI for lunch would make any difference or I'm missing something.

SBtS

No advantage unless you wanted to visit Hamilton first. The ferry to Hamilton is a nice ride and very quick (as compared to a bus to Hamilton from Dockyard).

But if you're going to the south shore beaches there is no benefit in ferrying to Hamilton and busing from there.

Just a few bus stops past Horseshoe Bay is Jobson's Cove (ask the bus driver and they'll tell you when to get off). It's often pictured on the front of Bermuda travel books. We were there 2 weeks ago and there were only a few families there. The water is calm because it's a cove. There are no facilities

there but there was a food truck one beach over on Warwick Long Bay.

Warwick Long Bay and Jobson's Cove are 2 very short stops east of Horseshoe. JC is a very calm and shallow "pool" that may be empty depending on your timing, and WLB is a gorgeous long beach that is much quieter than Horseshoe. No restrooms, just the vendor at WLB mentioned above. We spend a week across the street and loved WLB.

Somerset provides a cell phone, H2O does not. Do not go out without one, we were stranded for a bit due to motor problems.

Archived