Would you use a travel agent if you couldn't get any perks?

The agencies that give up most of their commission to get a booking employ nothing but order takers and as far as I am concerned, they provide a valuable service. Those agencies work with clients I and many other agents do not want! Working with a client that is not constantly searching or price drops or a "better" cabin is far more preferable and is less work for smaller and smaller compensation by the suppliers.

I am one of those "clients" you prefer to not work with.

I've worked with two large online agencies. Neither of them were "order-takers" Both agencies were delightful to work with. One agency even employs it's own "spider" software to alert them of price drops. They then call you to approve it before they get it for you.

One of these agencies booked a river cruise for me. Their price saved me more than $900 over the rate the cruise company quoted. The TA I used was fantastically knowledgeable and was able to get my questions answered better and faster than calling the cruise line as her experience gave her access to the people with the answers. When I called, I just got the "script" from the phone centers.

The agency I am currently working with has even sent me information on private tours for the ports we are visiting.

I had a local TA. While she did all the "work" she also spent a lot more of my money. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have saved thousands on one trip alone and had better flights with better seats, and better located hotels,too. I can get better info on CC and Trip Advisor than I got from her. When I had a really bad situation, she was powerless to help.

I gave her tons of business including land packages and several cruises and all I ever got from her was a dying poinsettia one Christmas (I don't celebrate Christmas and she knew that). She is a very nice person but her services are useless and costly.

Online TA's seem to be aware that a goodly sector of their business depends upon competition for perks. They also know that they will NOT get repeat business unless they service their clients. Since their business model is based on volume, they need repeat customers and referrals. They work just as hard, sometimes harder, than some small agencies who rely on friends and local walk-ins.

I thought you'd appreciate another perspective.

I'm thinking about using one for the first time. Only because im looking to do a 15 night cruise that starts in one country and ends on another. Neither of which I live in. So I will need airfare and hotels for all different routes plus the cruise. I feel I could do it myself but a TA should be able to get me some great deals if I getting all that stuff through them. Am I wrong?

Do whatever makes you comfortable, but you might want to think about this:

As for the air fare, do contact Choice Air if it's a Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Azamara cruise. They are affiliated with the cruise lines and are one of the best places to get good pricing on "open jaw" and one way air fares. We did a sailing from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Valparaiso, Chile (Cape Horn) in January and Choice Air beat every other on line air fare site and the individual airlines, too.

As for hotels, before using a TA, look at the ports of call boards here for hotel recommendations. Then go to Trip Advisor and check out the ratings. I, personally, have done much better booking hotels directly this way. I also have the assurance that people who have done my cruise have recommended the hotel and know that the location is good. You might be able to share a cab to the port if fellow cruisers are in the same hotel.

Many local TA's don't have the knowledge of the locations in foreign cities and may put you in a hotel that they think is "nice" but it's in the wrong place and often, the wrong price.

It takes some time on your part, but if you can navigate the web, you might find that your skills are saving you some big bucks.

Do whatever makes you comfortable, but you might want to think about this:

As for the air fare, do contact Choice Air if it's a Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Azamara cruise. They are affiliated with the cruise lines and are one of the best places to get good pricing on "open jaw" and one way air fares. We did a sailing from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Valparaiso, Chile (Cape Horn) in January and Choice Air beat every other on line air fare site and the individual airlines, too.

As for hotels, before using a TA, look at the ports of call boards here for hotel recommendations. Then go to Trip Advisor and check out the ratings. I, personally, have done much better booking hotels directly this way. I also have the assurance that people who have done my cruise have recommended the hotel and know that the location is good. You might be able to share a cab to the port if fellow cruisers are in the same hotel.

Many local TA's don't have the knowledge of the locations in foreign cities and may put you in a hotel that they think is "nice" but it's in the wrong place and often, the wrong price.

It takes some time on your part, but if you can navigate the web, you might find that your skills are saving you some big bucks.

Thanks for the advice. Yes the cruise is with rccl. As you can see in my sig I don't stray lol. I haven't delt with choice air before but will give them a call first. My sister works for the ritz Carlton and can get me discounted rooms. Both ports starting Maylasia and ending Dubai have ritz and the rates she is getting me are fantastic. So I don't see the need for a TA anymore.

Cruises are alot of money and combined with flights, it's just foolish NOT to use a Travel Agent. They are great in case of emergency, with the airlines or just someone to help you, if needed. Visit your local agency and try to use the same person. It can only benefit you! .. I'm NOT a TA! Cindy

Cruises are alot of money and combined with flights, it's just foolish NOT to use a Travel Agent. They are great in case of emergency, with the airlines or just someone to help you, if needed. Visit your local agency and try to use the same person. It can only benefit you! .. I'm NOT a TA! Cindy

What is, in my opinion, really foolish is to travel without appropriate travel insurance.

I've been in an emergent situation and my travel agent was totally and completely useless. She could offer no assistance other than some sympathy. It was the customer relations staff of RCI in Miami who went to bat for us.

It sounds like you are lucky enough to have an excellent travel agent.

Lets take a look at just one ship. Allure sails from Sunday to Sunday. That is approximately 12,000 people coming and going from the ship each Sunday with 12,000 possibilities for something to go wrong. How many travel agencies are open on Sunday? I know that RCI is.

It's foolish to consider a TA your only option. It's very foolish to only rely on your local TA. Your local TA could be a complete boob. With all the information available here and other travel sites you are usually better off doing your own research.

When it comes to travel emergencies I'll echo what others have said. Travel insurance (third party) is your best friend. Most of them have 24 hour emergency contacts that will help you with your travel emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived