Would you use a travel agent if you couldn't get any perks?

I haven't used a TA for cruises or travel so far. Not saying I will never use one. When, the big WHEN, we ever take a cruise or major vacation in Europe we will probably use one to help with the language barrier.

It is very easy for me to plan a vacation to San Francisco, arrange day trips, rental cars, flights, hotels, research restaurants, etc. For me to plan a vacation to Greece or a cruise out of Italy is a completely different animal that I have no desire to tackle.

For me it is not about the perks but the knowledge the TA provides. When discussing our plans with the TA I don't get a warm fuzzy that they know what they are talking about or they try to sell me a bunch of packages, I'll be looking for another TA.

There will always be people who book direct and their will be agencies that offer incentives when booking. They just cannot advertize them as a condition of booking. It won't be long however before the brands of RCI and other cruise lines follow suit with what Carnival has done. By the way there are many agencies who not only do not give perks, they also charge consultation fees when they take on a new client and with every booking even "simple" cruises. They grew tired of the shoppers and tire kickers so they decided to only work with the clients they wanted and not be shopped!

Yes, you have told us all many times about how you will only work with whom you choose to. Fortunately, this is a two way street and we can choose which TA's we don't care to work with.

When we started cruising, we booked through a TA. We booked 7 of our completed 11 cruises (plus an all-inclusive honeymoon trip) with a TA and received ZERO perks. Then we learned about booking a cruise on a cruise and we have done that ever since and not associated the booking with the TA.

I like being able to call RCI and make any change I feel necessary without having to call TA, explain what I want, wait for TA to call RCI, and THEN get back to me.

If I were to find a TA who offered perks, I would consider switching.

At this point, if RCI followed suit I would not be upset.

We have booked all our cruises through the same on-line agency. All but the second with the same person. The second cruise/TA proved to us WHO you deal with, not which agency, makes the difference. The cruise we just booked not only did we get the agency's advertised OBC, but she threw some more in to boot.

Take the OBC away and would I stick with her, yes. She has become a friend and I enjoy talking with her when we are working on a booking . I also prefer to buy 'their' insurance instead of what RCI offers. Plus it can cover more.

With that said, I really hope that RCI does NOT follow the way of Carnival. The fact that RCI will immediately transfer any on board booking to your TA makes me think that RCI actually prefers you to deal with TAs.

I predict that any cruise line that prevents TA's from offering incentives will probably lose lots of business from the TA's. After all, what's the reason for any customer to call them to book that cruise?

Erika

Yes, you have told us all many times about how you will only work with whom you choose to. Fortunately, this is a two way street and we can choose which TA's we don't care to work with.

As it is you who has said many times that you really have no use for TAs as you can find all of the information readily including in this thread.

Considering the vacations that RCI has provided to my family and me I'd prefer that commission money stay with them rather than go to a TA who has done nothing other than spend five minutes making a reservation that I am more than capable of doing myself.

I am merely showing others the true two way street!

A 12 hour response time even if the individual is away (with someone covering) is not impressive! I wouldn't be able to afford to cruise if I responded to my clients in that time frame...they would go elsewhere.

If I send a non-urgent email to someone and receive an out-of-office response stating she won't be back in the office for another week, and to contact person x until that time, I am not expecting her to reply 12 hours later. Especially when she is on a cruise, and I didn't forward the email to her partner.

I guess I am just too easily impressed.

We have always booked with a local TA that specializes in cruises and even without the little perks will continue to do so. If anything ever happened, she is there to run interference and be our advocate with the cruise line. If I booked direct and something went wrong, there is no one to negotiate for MY best interests. The perks aren't why we use a TA, it's the protection that's there if we ever need it.

Same here. Besides that cruising is not the only vacation option we choose. She is alwyas there for my best interests also and could not think of not using a local TA.

When we first started cruising we used a travel agent, but the air arrangements were not very good. Then I started booking everythin ourself and like it much better as can book whatever stateroom I want and obviously the air arrangements are 100 % better. Have never used the air with RC so don't know anything about that. No perks, but I don't get too worked up over those. ;)

If I send a non-urgent email to someone and receive an out-of-office response stating she won't be back in the office for another week, and to contact person x until that time, I am not expecting her to reply 12 hours later. Especially when she is on a cruise, and I didn't forward the email to her partner.

I guess I am just too easily impressed.

I guess, unfortunately most people aren't.

We always book through our TA and have for all of our previous cruises. He's become more of a friend over the years then just our TA. We've actually cruised with him for our wedding cruise and will be again on the Allure in February (group booking....and he books VERY fun groups!!) I do all my own research and know everything I need to know on my own at this point. Also, we have sailed with family for majority of our cruises and my sister is the best planner hands down. Of course we could do it all ourselves, but I feel that he's been there for us enough that he deserves whatever commissions he gets. If we still do all the research and simply call RC to book it for all of 5 minutes, I would rather somebody get something out of it....and I'm satisfied having a great vacation either way!!!

Edit-we don't book with him for the perks either. We usually always end up with on board credit and wine, but that does not make or break it for us-we just want vacation!!!!!

I would continue to use a travel agent even if there weren't any perks because I like to give a part of my business to someone else besides the cruise line.

I agree. It's important to me to help small businesses where I can, especially when it doesn't cost me any more. Anyone who has had a major disaster occur on their vacation knows the value of a travel agent. I like knowing who will pick up the phone when I call and that I won't have to explain who I am and what I need over and over. Just my two cents!

By the way there are many agencies who not only do not give perks, they also charge consultation fees when they take on a new client and with every booking even "simple" cruises. They grew tired of the shoppers and tire kickers so they decided to only work with the clients they wanted and not be shopped!

The agencies that give up most of their commission to get a booking employ nothing but order takers and as far as I am concerned, they provide a valuable service. Those agencies work with clients I and many other agents do not want! Working with a client that is not constantly searching or price drops or a "better" cabin is far more preferable and is less work for smaller and smaller compensation by the suppliers.

As it is you who has said many times that you really have no use for TAs as you can find all of the information readily including in this thread.

I am merely showing others the true two way street!

Yes, the true two way street.... you do business with whom you want and I do the same. And I don't kick tires. I know what I want before I dial phone numbers. And if the person on the other end of that phone number has an attitude I could care less what he/she has to offer. My business goes elsewhere.

CoachT - I agree there is a two-way street. However, this policy WILL hurt TAs. As this, and other, nations become more and more internet savvy and where we can research and book directly online, the need for TAs has diminshed greatly. I can see group/complex bookings, etc., still being handled by TAs. I use Costco Travel - a very large online agency and they give amazing perks. If all those perks went away I'd merely book everything myself. It's not that difficult - let's be honest. Booking a trip is not brain surgery. This policy will shift people away from Carnival (unless they lower their own prices enough or offer their own perks) to other cruise lines. If all cruise lines did this, most people would book themselves and TAs would be in dire trouble - more so than they are today.

I agree, that comment sat funny with me. Of course I'm gonna want to "shop" and get the best deal I can. If someone is offended by that, then we are both happy not to have to work with each other.

The thought of a charge for consultation just makes me belly laugh!

I agree, that comment sat funny with me. Of course I'm gonna want to "shop" and get the best deal I can. If someone is offended by that, then we are both happy not to have to work with each other.

The thought of a charge for consultation just makes me belly laugh!

Just know that most people who come into a travel agency have NO idea what they want. Truly most are clueless and ignorant of the options. They are also willing to pay for true customer service versus using an order taker.

Didn't see this thread until after I posted one...duh!

I absolutely would not use a TA for our cruises. I do all the work now, and then transfer if perks are sufficient. But a lot of agencies charge a fee to cancel whereas RCCL does not (before final of course) and unless the perks are good enough, I retain ownership. I am sorry to hear this for all my TA friends sakes, and believe RCCL is prbably to follow. That could put everyone out of business...but I guess there are those who do not want to bother with any arrangements at all. Thank goodness....for our friends.

CoachT - I think you underestimate most Americans - most of us are not clueless and ignorant of cruise, or any other, "options." I suppose there is a segment who would need to use a TA, but I would guess a majority could do the work over the interent ourselves and be happy with the outcome. I would NEVER pay a TA for a consultation. That suggestion made me laugh it was so ridiculous. Anyone who pays for that - well - I have land in a swamp to sell you.

I can see a need for TAs - particularly if you are traveling to an area that is new to you, or if have no idea about what you want to do. However, if you are obsessed with trip research and planning, and know exactly what you want and have done the research, there doesn't seem to be much added value in booking through a TA unless there is some sort of perk/incentive, or as others have mentioned there is a personal relationship with the TA who they want to "help out" by giving business, or if it is somehow a complex booking - large group or another sort of unusual booking. And there is so much variety in the quality of TAs - some are excellent and diligent, while others are less than useful. Example: One of my colleagues loves his TA and insisted that a friend of mine use his TA to book her flight to a conference. My friend had done all of the research and knew exactly what she wanted and what the price was. The TA entered her name incorrectly while doing the booking, so it was necessary for my friend to pay a $100 change fee, which I found pretty outrageous. There was no added benefit to having the TA do the booking in this case, and in fact, my friend wound up paying $100 extra because of the TAs mistake. Needless to say, my friend told me that she will book her own flights from now on!

Generally I prefer to do my own obsessive research, and particularly for cruises, I like to book on my own so that I can deal directly with the cruise line. However, if a TA offers incentives that are helpful to me, such as pre-paid gratuities, onboard credit, etc. then it is often worth my while to book with them instead. On the other hand, if I wanted to travel to a country that I was unfamiliar with and had not visited before, I would probably seek a TA who had special expertise with that location and would be happy to book through a TA because of the added help that was provide. Of course, I would still probably do my own obsessive travel research, too :)

It is good that there are different options for different people. As my mom always says, "That's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors." It will be interesting to see how things work with the new Carnival policy, whether it helps or hurts travel agents, and whether it helps or hurts Carnival's bottom line.

CoachT - I think you underestimate most Americans - most of us are not clueless and ignorant of cruise, or any other, "options." I suppose there is a segment who would need to use a TA, but I would guess a majority could do the work over the interent ourselves and be happy with the outcome.
I did not say most Americans, I said most who walk into a travel agent are clueless and ignorant of their options when it comes to cruising. Cruise critic represents less than 5% of the cruising public and the majority of all cruises are booked using a travel agent.

For the record, I think the folks at Carnival talk out of two sides of their mouth. They love the TA community as a PR force especially after incidents like Costa Concordia yet they see us as an expense instead of as a sales and investment.

Paying a commission honestly is far less costly they paying an order taker when you factor in the costs of unemployment insurance, social security and more. Heck on just about every cruise I have witnessed something that was designed by an accountant instead of by an end user and just shook my head!

Just know that most people who come into a travel agency have NO idea what they want. Truly most are clueless and ignorant of the options. They are also willing to pay for true customer service versus using an order taker.

To say..."most people who come into a travel agency have NO idea what they want" sounds ridiculous to me.

Did they really go there looking to buy a pizza and came out with a cruise package???

I think that we here at Cruise Critic are blessed to have such a fantastic resource at our fingertips that informs us about cruising in ways far beyond the ability of most travel agents. We are perhaps the cruising elite. For us, booking directly on our own may make a lot of sense.

For the remaining large percentage of cruisers out there, they have to rely on what they're told by their travel agents. We've seen stories here of people who were misguided with bad advice from their travel agents. I remember the story of the agent who arranged for a group of six from Texas to arrive in Tampa at 2:15 PM and thought that'd be good enough to get to the cruise where boarding ends at 3:00 PM.

So, yes, there are good and bad travel agents. Unfortunately, when the customer is uninformed about the cruising experience, how are they to know a good travel agent that makes it worth everyone's while to use?

No, I would not and even if the perks were a little better- I still would prefer booking my own vacations based on my own research. Especially a cruise vacation when all the internet resources point to Cruise Critic and any person with a brain and internet access can figure out how to book a cruise and get information on excursions, prices, etc.

There are too many travel agents out there that function more as "order takers" than people who actually deliver genuine customer service or are available off-hours to assist with any contingencies or emergencies. I would prefer doing all the research myself and controlling my reservations than putting it in the hands of a stranger.:D

For the remaining large percentage of cruisers out there, they have to rely on what they're told by their travel agents. We've seen stories here of people who were misguided with bad advice from their travel agents.

So, yes, there are good and bad travel agents.

I think we seem to forget one thing. We see just as many stories on here about bad RCI cruise planners and custmer service reps giving customers bad advice and wrong answers. Call 5 times and get 5 different answers :eek:

The key is finding a knowledgeable TA or RCI cruise planner and sticking with them.

I love my TA .. and I am a control freak .. and I am totally confident that together we make a GREAT team :D

Archived