Would you use a travel agent if you couldn't get any perks?

On the Carnival forum, they are discussing a change that Carnival is making. As of August 1, 2012, travel agents will be forbidden from providing any cash-equivalent incentives to their customers such as onboard credit, specialty dining, etc., and instead will only be permitted to offer token gifts of no more than $25 in value.

One of the things that's nice about Royal Caribbean is that there is an interesting balance between booking directly and using a travel agent. On the one hand, by booking directly, one can have complete control over their reservation. Using a travel agent, however, can provide nice benefits such as prepaid gratuities, onboard credit, and more.

Now, imagine that Royal Caribbean adopts a similar rule, and travel agents are no longer able to provide these perks. Would you continue to use a travel agent then?

My thinking is that, generally speaking, the only reason I've used a travel agent in the past is because of the perks they've offered. Even if it's just prepaid gratuities, that's around $150 in savings for two people on a week-long cruise, and that's nothing to sneeze at. If I couldn't get any benefits from a travel agent, I'd probably book with Royal Caribbean directly.

On the Carnival forum, they are discussing a change that Carnival is making. As of August 1, 2012, travel agents will be forbidden from providing any cash-equivalent incentives to their customers such as onboard credit, specialty dining, etc., and instead will only be permitted to offer token gifts of no more than $25 in value.

One of the things that's nice about Royal Caribbean is that there is an interesting balance between booking directly and using a travel agent. On the one hand, by booking directly, one can have complete control over their reservation. Using a travel agent, however, can provide nice benefits such as prepaid gratuities, onboard credit, and more.

Now, imagine that Royal Caribbean adopts a similar rule, and travel agents are no longer able to provide these perks. Would you continue to use a travel agent then?

My thinking is that, generally speaking, the only reason I've used a travel agent in the past is because of the perks they've offered. Even if it's just prepaid gratuities, that's around $150 in savings for two people on a week-long cruise, and that's nothing to sneeze at. If I couldn't get any benefits from a travel agent, I'd probably book with Royal Caribbean directly.

I have always booked with an online TA and this year with a face to face TA. I like the perks they give. I hope RCI does not do what Carnival is doing. That would be a huge bummer. That's what makes booking a cruise so much fun, not only finding where you want to go and what ship but also the perks you get.

Booked with a TA who isn't giving us ANY "perks" because he had a balcony cabin when everywhere else it was sold out. I guess this is the perk we wanted more than anything else. Do wish he offered some of the great things others have mentioned getting--OBC, but glad we have the balcony. He's also helping us coordinate dining with others who are also going on this cruise and helped us select a cabin that is near the middle of the ship so the ride will be as smooth as possible since hubby is prone to motion sickness. All of those things are very helpful, especially since this is our 1st cruise. Probably won't use him in the future & just do it ourselves (or book with the cruise line and/or on-line TA for best prices/perks).

I would not. I did have a good experience with a TA when I booked a Princess cruise a few years ago but mostly my dealings with TAs have been negative so I usually avoid them. I don't think a $25 incentive would outweigh the benefits of keeping control of your booking.

I have always booked with an online TA and this year with a face to face TA. I like the perks they give. I hope RCI does not do what Carnival is doing. That would be a huge bummer. That's what makes booking a cruise so much fun, not only finding where you want to go and what ship but also the perks you get.

I never book with a TA, but am somewhat obsessive about being able to speak directly with RCCL about my reservations and do not want a TA between myself and the company.

With that being said, it looks to me like Carnival is moving to cut out the TA's and encourage thier customers to book directly with the cruiseline. While I used to love the idea of a TA, it appears that this is one more blow to the profession that seems to be having a slow death. This may have a benefit for RCCL as the TA's who remain will likely encourage bookings with RCCL as they will be better able to compete by offering perks, while causing a negative for Carnival who has likely alienated some TA's. Lots of first timers still look to a TA and Carnival is often a cruise line that attracts lots of first timers. We may see that business move more toward RCCL.

We have always booked with a local TA that specializes in cruises and even without the little perks will continue to do so. If anything ever happened, she is there to run interference and be our advocate with the cruise line. If I booked direct and something went wrong, there is no one to negotiate for MY best interests. The perks aren't why we use a TA, it's the protection that's there if we ever need it.

I certainly do. Even when I find the cruise I want my wonderful TA takes care of everything else, I change my plans often,she takes care of it,she knows who to talk with at the cruise lines.She works for a man that doesn't give perks but is honest and trustworthy,twice we needed to use insurance because of medical problems and she helped me thru this.so many reasons that are more valuable than the perks.

I hadn't heard about this, but I can't say I'm surprised. And I won't be shocked if/when all cruise lines go this route, unfortunately. TAs can be useful when they are familiar with your destination (a hotel, island, cruise ship, etc.), but otherwise they're mostly just providing booking services, which are generally very easy for a person to do themselves. With the vast amount of information available on the internet, I don't see how a TA can provide as much information as compared to pre-internet days.

We only booked our 1st cruise through a TA....didn't know which cruiseline would suit us...so the brochures and information were a huge thing. Once we did it once, we simply book what we want directly through the cruiseline. Just easier that way!

I use my TA to provide service, not perks. She knows that I don't care about a nickle and dime perk. I don't need a bottle of wine waiting on me in the stateroom. She also knows that I want personal service, and that is what I get from her. I tell her what I want, and she provides options for cost saving. It's all about "service" and her knowledge of my requirements.

jdc2204

I have yet to reach the same TA that has originally booked my cruise. I, too, hate to use them as they can never be found again. HOWEVER, I have (and just did today) transferred a reservation in order to get perks. In this case, besides my Diamond discount I was able to also get a specialty dining for 2 (150 Central is excluded) and a free spa treatment (I'll choose the swedish massage). So, that to me (hope I don't regret it) was worth the transfer. And, I get double amex reward points, too. But if the perks were to go away...heck no. I'll handle everything myself. Your hands are tied if you relinquish control and are between the TA and the cruiseline. And, if like me are unable to reach them again, you can speak to a different agent, but still...pain in the you know what.

We use a local Brick and Mortar TA and will continue to use them for our cruises.

I can go in to their office and talk with them any time and don't have to wait for e-mail or voice mail responses. They are a small business and don't offer perks. However, we have a received a bottle of wine on each of our cruises. A pleasant surprise on the 1st cruise but not expected on any of them. If this office would close, I would book direct with the cruise line.

What kind of perks are people getting with RCI?

OBC when booking thru a Wow Sale or Onboard...other than that...ZIP!

I agree I would continue to use my TA regardless of perks given or not...her experience & service are worth it to me...

by booking through our TA, we got OBC, priority check-in (first time RCI cruisers in a PR!), a bottle of champagne and a reduced deposit. It was worth it to us but without all those things (and more that is always added through this TA as the trip gets closer) I would probably book direct.

OBC when booking thru a Wow Sale or Onboard...other than that...ZIP!

I agree I would continue to use my TA regardless of perks given or not...her experience & service are worth it to me...

Once you have cruised once and become a C&A member you get saving certificates. For our upcoming 10 day we got $200 off.

Plus using the BOA credit card (linked to RCCL) we have $750 in OBC's. I wouldn't say that's zip.

And I can manage my own account, reach an agent much more easily than one person, and keep all my own files on all things promised. I'm sad about the day of the travel agent passing, but it seems there is little we can do about it.

We use a local Brick and Mortar TA and will continue to use them for our cruises.

I can go in to their office and talk with them any time and don't have to wait for e-mail or voice mail responses. They are a small business and don't offer perks. However, we have a received a bottle of wine on each of our cruises. A pleasant surprise on the 1st cruise but not expected on any of them. If this office would close, I would book direct with the cruise line.

You are lucky that you found a TA that meets your needs. If I could find one that was responsive and honest I would have no problems using them. IMHO TAs are like car dealers, a few gems mixed in with a ton of shysters. I had a good one in my pre-cruise/pre-internet days but sadly they are no longer in business.

I am a complete control freak, so I never use a TA. I must have control over my own vacation plans. I just do not trust anyone else to book my vacations, airfare or anything else that needs booked for a vacation/cruise.

I have read so many horror stories here on CC about TA's screwing up the reservations, flight times, etc. and each time, I just sit back and say to myself, "That's why I don't use them".;):)

First time we used a travel agent. There were about 150 people going on that cruise and we had a ball. On our second cruise, I booked through the same person and it was a disaster. Sometimes it would take a few weeks before he would return calls and that was very frustrating. I had expected the 'thank you' gift of a nice bottle of wine from him, but what did we get...nothing. Since then, however, I book directly through the cruise line and have never had any problems. I like to keep control of my own booking.

Archived