Canaletto - cotton candy

swin26

I admit to being a crotchety old fart, because cotton candy is revolting. The first time I was presented with it was on the Ryndam (I think). The way I reacted, you would have thought the waiter dropped a corn dog and a funnel cake on my plate. Disgusting stuff. :)

you say that like there is something wrong with corndogs and funnel cakes...

stock-photo-3191016-happy-corn-dog.jpg

You know what would be great with that wad of sugar? How about a dollip of lard with it? Yum. ;)

It looks like we're in the minority here, but I agree with you. Never could see the big deal about cotton candy, even as a kid. Pretty disgusting IMHO...a bowl of sugar is what it is, even though prettier. ;)

It's always been served when we've eaten at Canaletto on various ships. It's on a plate, not a stick, and I believe it's supposed to cleanse the palate between the main course and dessert. I hate the stuff so we always say no thanks - it's just sugar, not good for a diabetic:rolleyes:.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!!! I'm a big fan of cotton candy.

The last time we dined at Canoletto it was served and I was in heaven. I believe that was on the Zaandam.

We are sailing on the Amsterdam in August and Cotton Candy will be a deciding factor if we dine there or not.

In Vegas a couple of years ago, we ate at Serendipity 3 and I ordered a Cotton Candy Pear Martini. DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Rockfan2 :)

It's always been served when we've eaten at Canaletto on various ships. It's on a plate, not a stick, and I believe it's supposed to cleanse the palate between the main course and dessert. I hate the stuff so we always say no thanks - it's just sugar, not good for a diabetic:rolleyes:.

Cotton candy is not restaurant food, IMO! It belongs on the boardwalk or at a fair or an amusement park. Right next to the corn dogs and funnel cakes. :D

It's far more civilized to serve a small portion of sorbet to cleanse the palate.

Cotton candy is not restaurant food, IMO! It belongs on the boardwalk or at a fair or an amusement park. Right next to the corn dogs and funnel cakes. :D

It's far more civilized to serve a small portion of sorbet to cleanse the palate.

Absolutely it is more civilised but not nearly as much fun. :D

Not sure what most do with it... I agree it is odd... but as said by others before, it took me back to childhood & walking about the fair, cotton candy in hand...

We had fun tossing it in hot tea & watching it "disappear". :D

On the Amsterdam and Noordam we had the Cotton Candy.

But on the Maasdam we were told that they don't serve it on that ship.

We like it -- brings back memories of whe we used to go to Kenneywood.

Yes, cotton candy at Kennywood - but only after a "dinner" of potato patch fries!!

:D I have never eaten in the Canelleto, but have had Cotton Candy. It is all in who you shmooze with. I had it twice on the Amsterdam in May, it is a fun snack. I am looking forward to having more in September on the Amsterdam for 14 days. You either like it or you don't.

Archived