Natural History tour

kr9457

I suggest you bring your own, even though snacks are provided.

I'll assume you don't wish to get into Denali and change from this lacking tour, but for others, getting into Denali yields significantly more scenery and wildlife and is the highlight of any cruisetour.

Just got off this tour, if you have the chance upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour much better. We have done that one before. You do get a snack bar and hot chocolate or coffee or tea at the last stop. We ate dinner when we got back.

What did you see and do on this tour? Will try to upgrade if the timing allows it. If not is it worth doing versus nothing?

In my opinion, having gone in the park numerous times, it is a worthless tour. IF on Princess, I would get the refund and run. :) If you have no time, then just do the FREE Savage River shuttle bus- which is the same distance as the NHT.

Most see little if any wildlife. The "raving wildlife reports" are extremely rare and not the norm.

Again if on Princess, just get the refund, and also forget about "upgrading". Simply, book YOURSELF direct, for an actual timed TWT or shuttle bus.

We are on Celebrity.

Are you there 2 nights??

If so, I would suggest you exchange your tickets, which, in the past, could be done in person. Not certain if any refunds are given, but you could get on a shuttle bus to Eielson without any additional funds.

Only one night

What a shame. Depending on arrival time and departure time, you still might be able to take a shuttle bus or TWT at least to Toklat. Perhaps you can post your methods of arrival/departure as well as where you are coming from and going to, then we can figure out if you have enough time for something more worthwile.

As BQ has said in the past, taking the NHT in Denali is like going to WDW and just going to the parking lot. Actually, it is worse than that - at least at WDW you can see from the parking lot what you are missing. With the NHT you have no clue what you are missing in Denali NP.

What did you see and do on this tour? Will try to upgrade if the timing allows it. If not is it worth doing versus nothing?

We are in Denali today. On the TWT we saw grizzlies, moose, caribou, and the mountain peeking above the cloud. On the Nat. History Tour they would have seen only caribou. Our guide said she felt sorry for them as most of the wildlife has moved further into the park by now, July.

In my opinion, having gone in the park numerous times, it is a worthless tour. IF on Princess, I would get the refund and run. :) If you have no time, then just do the FREE Savage River shuttle bus- which is the same distance as the NHT.

Most see little if any wildlife. The "raving wildlife reports" are extremely rare and not the norm.

Again if on Princess, just get the refund, and also forget about "upgrading". Simply, book YOURSELF direct, for an actual timed TWT or shuttle bus.

BQ - I called Princess today and they said it is part of my package - no refund will be given for the NHT - did anyone get a refund??

thanks

Smitty

BQ - I called Princess today and they said it is part of my package - no refund will be given for the NHT - did anyone get a refund??

thanks

Smitty

Princess has ALWAYS refunded. Unless this is a new, recent change, I suggest you call back and attempt again.

We are part of the Celebrity cruisetour and do not have exact times on any of the documents as of now. I was told we would receive all the times etc. when we arrive in Fairbanks for the start. I do know that we take the morning train from Fairbanks to Denali and then take the afternoon train the next day to Talkeetna. It says we do the Historic tour the first afternoon that we arrive.

Our tour was w/RC, but they use the same busses & such. I found my documents to answer someone else about time & we left fairbanks in the morning & arrived in Denali at noon. You won't know for sure until they tell yuo the timing, but maybe this will help a little!

I'm not sure about refunding on a Princess cruise tour, but my travel agent was able to get us the upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. The difference in price was $55 per person. From all I've read, I'm glad I decided we needed to go farther into the park. We don't get our actual assigned time for our tour until we get to the lodge. We're supposed to get to the lodge at 1 p.m. and then have then tour start sometime between 2 and 3:30.

We are part of the Celebrity cruisetour and do not have exact times on any of the documents as of now. I was told we would receive all the times etc. when we arrive in Fairbanks for the start. I do know that we take the morning train from Fairbanks to Denali and then take the afternoon train the next day to Talkeetna. It says we do the Historic tour the first afternoon that we arrive.

That is all you need to know. Since you are on the train you can go to the Alaska Railroad website to find the arrival and departure times at Denali. I would book the Tundra Tour or a shuttle bus (shuttle is better IMHO) for the afternoon of arrival. You can walk from the train station to the WAC, where the bus would depart from. You can get a 2pm bus and go all the way to Eielson if you wanted. Well worth the time and effort. Then the next morning spend at the visitor center, sleddog demo, etc.

Princess has ALWAYS refunded. Unless this is a new, recent change, I suggest you call back and attempt again.

Thanks I guess it depends on who you speak with - I spoke to someone else at Princess and she said I can cancel and get a refund - but I need to go thru my TA - it was my TA that originally told me that they did not do refunds.

Ann at Princess told me that I can actually cancel it at the lodge if I want.

So here's my plan - let me know if you think this is do able - we are coming in from Fairbanks at 4pm - would it be possible to get some food (subway or something) and get on the Tolkat shuttle for 5pm - I am not sure how far the Princess lodge is from the main gate??

If we take this - we get back to the main gate at 11pm - would the Princess shuttle still be running then?

The next morning instead of taking the NHT - just go to the visitors center and relax.

Let me know if that sounds good?

thanks

Smitty

Thanks I guess it depends on who you speak with - I spoke to someone else at Princess and she said I can cancel and get a refund - but I need to go thru my TA - it was my TA that originally told me that they did not do refunds.

Ann at Princess told me that I can actually cancel it at the lodge if I want.

So here's my plan - let me know if you think this is do able - we are coming in from Fairbanks at 4pm - would it be possible to get some food (subway or something) and get on the Tolkat shuttle for 5pm - I am not sure how far the Princess lodge is from the main gate??

If we take this - we get back to the main gate at 11pm - would the Princess shuttle still be running then?

The next morning instead of taking the NHT - just go to the visitors center and relax.

Let me know if that sounds good?

thanks

Smitty

Nope it doen't. Are you certain you are arriving that late? IF you take the last shuttle bus, you would Have to be on the Princess lodge shuttle bus at 4pm, to catch the 5pm Toklat shuttle. Princess does NOT run their lodge shuttles that late.

Yes, you DO have to cancel through the booking agent. And it has to be done in adance, you have no time, to even consider doing this at Denali.

Verify your times. There is "supposed" to be a taxi service at Denali. That may be your best option. What time are you leaving Denali? You may have time for the first shuttle bus in the morning. Are you open to walking over a mile?

Archived