Genoa on your own

nikel

We will be stopping in Genoa the first week in December. None of the ship tours look interesting as they are all short. We have about 10 hours.

Has anyone done this on their own and do you have ideas of how to get around. Is there a Hoho bus? We would also like to include Portofino if the weather is permissible. Thanks

Genoa is very easy to see on your own. We took the ships shuttle from the pier to downtown Genoa and enjoyed walking many of the streets. Unlike some like size cities in Italy this one is very calm and so easy to just walk on your own.

Keith

Hi P&H, i've been reading that there is a metro stop near the port that takes you to St margharita and from there you'd take a short boat ride or a bus Portofino. Much cheaper than by taxi.

What i'm having trouble finding out is whether ferries will be operating in december. I'd love return by water, for the views.

Sounds like genoa is easy to explore on foot, and i think there is an open top bus if that interests you.

I was thinking of starting the day in portofino and then spending the rest of the afternoon in genoa.

Hi P&H, i've been reading that there is a metro stop near the port that takes you to St margharita and from there you'd take a short boat ride or a bus Portofino. Much cheaper than by taxi.

What i'm having trouble finding out is whether ferries will be operating in december. I'd love return by water, for the views.

Sounds like genoa is easy to explore on foot, and i think there is an open top bus if that interests you.

I was thinking of starting the day in portofino and then spending the rest of the afternoon in genoa.

Those are the kind of things we have in mind too. The only reason I was thinking taxi is for Portofino if the ferries are not running due to weather. There are two other couples planning this too, so maybe we'll have a whole caravan doing the same.

The city has a good tourism web site with lots of information and ideas here: http://www.turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php?lang=en

I know, I read the info on there before I posted, but i was really hoping to hear from somebody who has done this and can offer suggestions, not so much as what to see, but the best ways to get around

• 3 months later...
Genoa is very easy to see on your own. We took the ships shuttle from the pier to downtown Genoa and enjoyed walking many of the streets. Unlike some like size cities in Italy this one is very calm and so easy to just walk on your own.

Keith

Where does the shuttle stop in Genoa? We are trying to plan a walking tour but need to know where to start from.

• 2 months later...

You can easily walk from the cruise ship docking to the the historic area of Genoa. We stopped in churches along the way, some really great ones. If you have a ships maps it will point out some of the historic sites and again it is easy to walk to them. We have also used the metro, station is localed near the port, across the highway-use the over walk way.

Archived