iPad experiences on NCL?

SMuFlo

Hello everyone,

I'm a first-time cruiser and first-time poster (though I have been lurking for a while). DH and I will be going on the NCL Pearl to Alaska on September 2.

We are big tech geeks, but we want to not bring a laptop with us this trip (reduce bulk etc). However, we were thinking of bringing an iPad with us so we can view/edit our photos while still on the cruise and occasionally send an update back home. I've read some reports of people having a hard time getting iPads to work with the ships' WiFi and I was wondering if any of you had tried taking an iPad onto a NCL cruise and what your experiences were.

You all have already been such a help to us through the various threads. Thanks again!

If you know how to connect your iPad to a wifi location somewhere else, you should have no problem connecting to the NCL wifi and internet service, after you have signed up for Internet service and received your login instructions.

There should not be anything unique to the iPad that keeps you from connecting to the NCL wifi system.

Should be about the same as laptop - painful. As said, the signal may be as strong, causing even slower transfers.

As to posting pics online... that can get expensive. Good thing with ipad, it is easier to carry ashore and find a cheap wifi hookup.

Assume you have an adapter to load pics from camera to ipad already?

Thanks everyone! So the iPad works, it is just slow (as expected). We don't intend to post pictures online from the Ship. But, if we desperately need to send a text email or look up a reservation number, it sounds like the iPad will work ok. I also think the size of the iPad will make it easier to seek out WiFi in town.

I asked the question because I read a review about the metal from the ships messing with the iPad antenna and making it impossible to connect to the ship's WiFi. Maybe that was an isolated experience?

We haven't bought the accessory to read the camera card yet, but it is "on the list."

I'll second the comment about bringing the iPad ashore and finding wifi there. I don't bother with the ship since I'm on vacation and cannot be bothered dealing with slow Internet ;)

I usually ask the crew where the best off ship wifi is. Most know in each port where to find free wifi. A lot of times it is right in the port terminal.

Download & install "Wi Fi Finder" app - both for iOS and Android devices/tablets/smartphones - install its updated offline databases of free & paid WiFi sites tied to your GPS-based location as it will help "steer" you to available resources at each U.S. ports.

The exception is Victoria, BC - beautiful Canadian city (and, a word of caution about expensive roaming data charges for "advanced" 3G/4G LTE devices) or Prince Rupert as NCL ships do stop there instead of Victoria, depending on the itinerary (and less likely to find a free WiFi hotspot near the pier.)

Download & install "Wi Fi Finder" app - both for iOS and Android devices/tablets/smartphones - install its updated offline databases of free & paid WiFi sites tied to your GPS-based location as it will help "steer" you to available resources at each U.S. ports.

Good idea. I'll add this to my phone b/c my iPad is WiFi-only.

I had no problem connecting my iPad on the Epic, although there were a few oddities, for example it barely worked on our balcony. The signal is certainly stronger on some places, as you would imagine. I found that it was particularly good in the Atrium. Whether it is a coincidence that the Internet area is nearby I dont know.

I use mine for email and some light browsing (looking up sport results etc) and the ships wifi is fine for that as long as you use an offline email client so you can read and write them whilst offline. I dont particularly want to spend shore time searching for wifi, so I'm happy to budget an amount for Internet access. It's quite nice to be able to sit in a bar with a drink and tell people what fun you're having.

If you are doing anything which involves a reasonable amount of data then you are better off doing that when ashore.

One thing to remember, which I didn't realise until we had been onboard for a while is that access to ncl.com is free in he Internet cafe. When we inevitably started talking about future cruises, I wasted a bit of my allowance checking itineraries and prices on my iPad when we could have used their computers for free. I bet we're not the only ones.

Good idea. I'll add this to my phone b/c my iPad is WiFi-only.

Using a WiFi finder app isn't a bad idea, but don't forget that any iPad or iPhone will show you the available hotspots in your vicinity. Just go in to Settings, WiFi and look for hotspots that don't have the lock icon -- that means they're open.

And don't forget that open means open -- it's trivial for someone to intercept the WiFi traffic and analyze it later. I wouldn't recommend logging on to your bank's web site when using open WiFi. It's okay to use the Mail app to check your email as long as it's set to use encryption (SSL).

Thanks everyone! So the iPad works, it is just slow (as expected). We don't intend to post pictures online from the Ship. But, if we desperately need to send a text email or look up a reservation number, it sounds like the iPad will work ok. I also think the size of the iPad will make it easier to seek out WiFi in town.

I asked the question because I read a review about the metal from the ships messing with the iPad antenna and making it impossible to connect to the ship's WiFi. Maybe that was an isolated experience?

We haven't bought the accessory to read the camera card yet, but it is "on the list."

This last cruise, we did take our iPad so we could back up the Camera's card. I was getting worried in the past about having 800+ pictures on just one device (ain't digital wonderful). So in addition to having the iPad Kindle available now, I do back up the pics along the way. I got the following device. I've seen its price fluctuate up and down $5 or so. It comes with two readers. One, your camera can plug directly into. The other, you camera card can plug into. You don't know which one you will need until you try it. Some cameras, and there's no list of them that I can find, will give a "draws too much power" message. So the other reader is for that. Otherwise, it works great. Just be very careful. After backing up it will ask you if you wish to delete from the camera. Don't get trigger happy and push yes..unless you want to.

Reference texting, you can do that on board with Verizon phone for just .05c each text received and .50c each text sent, SMS only. If you're going to use you phone for that, be sure you have your smart phone "data" or "data while roaming" in the off position though so you don't get huge, huge download bill.

Oooops...forgot to post the link. Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Camera-Connection-MC531ZM/dp/B003K1EYM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342100669&sr=8-1&keywords=Apple+iPad+Camera+Connection+Kit+%28MC531ZM%2FA%29

Can I ask for some help?

Roger,

Is the link below the only thing I need to download pictures from my

Nikon SLR onto my IPad? They also have some adaptor that pops

up as "people also buy".....

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Cam...MC531ZM%2FA%29

Last question, How do I use my IPad as a kindle? Do I need to

download a program? Do I go to the Apple store and download books?

Thank you for your help!

DEFINITELY bringing the IPad on the cruise...

Stephanie

Can I ask for some help?

Roger,

Is the link below the only thing I need to download pictures from my

Nikon SLR onto my IPad? They also have some adaptor that pops

up as "people also buy".....

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Cam...MC531ZM%2FA%29

Thank you for your help!

Stephanie

Kindles, iPads, Smartphones are still frequently a mystery to me, so I'm no expert. But yes, the items in that link will do the job, one or the other of the two devices provided, and you will only know which by plugging in you camera first and seeing if you get the too much power message. Then it works painlessly, easy to do. I started to try one of the items that pop up as "also bought".. However, I went with a genuine Apple product to insure it would work as advertised on the iPad.

Reference the iPad as a Kindle, works great. But yes, you do need to download the Kindle app first, available off the iTunes store downloads. However, without that app, I believe you can already download books from the iTunes (Apple) store. You should already have an iTunes account if you have you iPad set up already. For Kindle, that's an Amazon product. And you can also register your iPad (and iPhone if you have one) with Amazon. Then on Amazon, go to books, kindle books, and either free or purchased ones and download with one click to your iPad which you can then click on your Kindle icon and read. The books will also download to you iPhone at the same time if you have one with a Kindle app. Works great. You have to have an Amazon account of course. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help!

Stephanie

Just a reminder regarding the Kindle app on any device (ipad, Android, Kindle, whatever): You're still using the internet minutes you have to purchase on the ship to do your download.

My routine is to load up my Kindle or Kindle Android app with a bunch of books before I leave the "free" internet at my house. Once they're in your device, the only communication between the device and Amazon is to update your page # in the books on their servers - and you can do without that for the short period of the cruise.

Just a reminder regarding the Kindle app on any device (ipad, Android, Kindle, whatever): You're still using the internet minutes you have to purchase on the ship to do your download.

My routine is to load up my Kindle or Kindle Android app with a bunch of books before I leave the "free" internet at my house. Once they're in your device, the only communication between the device and Amazon is to update your page # in the books on their servers - and you can do without that for the short period of the cruise.

As far as I can tell, our iPad, once a book, or numerous books, are loaded on it, it is self sufficient. It no longer needs wifi or any connection to Amazon again. It remembers last page read on the current book being read. However, I guess that the next time we do have wifi access it might update Amazon servers with where we last left off. But that connection isn't necessary for our purpose to use it as a Kindle reader is it?

The accessory aka Camera Connection Kit is very handy and lets you transfer photo's to your iPad very quickly. I am bringing mine along when I go on my cruise next month.

I love the Apple ipad camera connection kit. I just use the little card reader that slips into the ipad. I don't need the cord and adapter. You can buy this kit at Walmart or at Apple online. Practice with it at home, so you do not accidentally delete the pictures from the card when loading them into the ipad. It is very, very easy to use. After losing countless pictures and memories due to computer crashes, I now just keep the pictures on the memory card and buy new cards as needed. They have come down so much in price, this makes perfect sense to me.

As far as I can tell, our iPad, once a book, or numerous books, are loaded on it, it is self sufficient. It no longer needs wifi or any connection to Amazon again. It remembers last page read on the current book being read. However, I guess that the next time we do have wifi access it might update Amazon servers with where we last left off. But that connection isn't necessary for our purpose to use it as a Kindle reader is it?

You're correct, the Kindle & Kindle apps all remember your current place in anything you've opened.

The status of your books is also updated on Amazon's servers, so that if your Kindle or Kindle app were to crash, when you downloaded the books again, they would open to the place you left off. This is the process I referred to when I mentioned that the app contacts Amazon periodically. However, if you turn off your wireless on the Kindle (or on the device running the Kindle app), this syncing won't happen and won't use up your ship's internet time. You'll still have your place, bookmarks, and notes all in your device.

Archived