Diaper bag as tote?

april47

Has anybody used a diaper bag as a tote or even as a carry-on when flying? I haven't had a baby in a hundred years but just noted that today's diaper bags are very fashionable. There are even water proof compartments and the place that is supposed to hold adiaper changing pad looks like my Kindle would fit well. Here is a picture of one I am looking at.

jmlht_1000.jpg

I bought a diaper bag for a carry on b/c I was tired of the totes and bags that were just a huge cavern where I couldn't find anything. Someone on these boards suggested a diaper bag b/c it has lots of pockets and compartments to keep things organized and handy. It def. works and no one could ever tell it was a diaper bag.........well unless, they had one like it, I guess, but who cares.

My Mom used to have a smaller black diaper bag from Nine West that she used as a purse when I was in either high school or college. No one knew what it was really supposed to be unless she told them, and it was very convenient.

We've had some diaper bags in the luggage store that I thought would work great as travel bags.

I've sold them for that purpose, a few women couldn't come to terms with the fact they were diaper bags, but I really couldn't tell the difference.

One of them was Kipling, the other was a plain black Vera Bradley.

Has anybody used a diaper bag as a tote or even as a carry-on when flying? I haven't had a baby in a hundred years but just noted that today's diaper bags are very fashionable. There are even water proof compartments and the place that is supposed to hold adiaper changing pad looks like my Kindle would fit well. Here is a picture of one I am looking at.

jmlht_1000.jpg

What a great idea! Thank you!!!:)

It's a good practical idea but for myself I wouldn't do it. My first thought when I saw the picture was "it looks like a designer diaper bag or knockoff designer diaper bag"

But that's my opinion only. If you like it, go for it!

jmlht_1000.jpg

I just bought one today for future cruises. Those loops that are intended to hang the bag from a stroller's handles are perfect for hanging it on the handles of my husband's wheelchair!

We have sold them as bags for wheelchairs. They fit the chair much better than a backpack.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought "do you really want to carry around a diaper bag without a baby? Won't that look odd?" Now that I see the picture of what you are considering, and have read the replies, I say go for it. It sounds like a great idea. Those companies that make totes should read this! Fashion is great, but fashion and usefulness is even better. ;)

A tip I read in one of my photography magazines:

Knowing that cameras are expensive and easily pawned, thieves target camera bags. Use a diaper bag for your camera supplies. The bags are quilted, often have interior pockets and are more protective than a standard tote bag, and thieves won't recognize that they're holding expensive equipment.

Of course, that's a big off the topic being discussed right now (because clearly you'd want a diaper bag decorated with bunnies or trains for this purpose), but maybe it'll help someone sometime.

You can go on e-bags.com and look under Diaper Totes. I bought one several years ago as a commuter bag (to carry my lunch, magazine, water bottle, umbrella, etc). Although I can't find it on e-bags.com today, I got one with a long single handle to wear over the shoulder with my handbag. I love all the zippered compartments and outside pockets.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Coach messenger diaper bag that I use as a laptop carrier for work. I've also used it as a carry-on on many a flight. I picked it up in the store thinking it was just a messenger bag until I pulled out the changing pad and couldn't figure out what that was! The clerk assured me that no one would ever know and I've been carrying if for about five years. I gave the changing pad to a new Mom at work who said she could always use a spare. The outside pocket for a bottle holds my mini-umbrella,and the pockets for wipes are just the right size for my Kindle. It's a wonderfully designed bag for whatever your purpose!

jmlht_1000.jpg

I was surprised to find that my SMALL Ameribag Healthy Back purse/backpack (It is the one that looks like a teardrop and has one strap) is great for carrying my kindle, Android phone, small point and shoot camera, wallet, water bottle, sunglasses (oversize in pouch hanging from top), and a small makeup kit. The side organization pouches seems to be made for those electronics even though my bag was 10 years old. The weight of all the stuff is well balanced in this bag and can switch from right to left shoulders front across body or back across body so less tiring. I have hand and shoulder pain and suffered none on my last trip. Safety is great also in that double zipper is either against the body or under the arm -- difficult for thieves but by pulling the purse forward and using it as a sling the contents of the purse are readily available without digging. Do have to train yourself where everything goes since there are many pockets/slots/ areas. I am buying a black one for my 30 day trip to Asia in October. Safety

Archived