Victoria Butchart Gardens & Afternoon Tea

ShamrockFL

I'm trying to put together a combination of some sight seeing and time at Butchart Gardens to include afternoon tea there when we dock in Victoria in August from 2:30 - 9:30 on NCL Jewel. The ship doesn't offer the afternoon tea option at the gardens, and similar ship's excursions don't appeal - it has to be afternoon tea - you know what I mean!

Has anyone got any ideas? Clipper Tours has a Combo tour of city sightseeing and gardens with afternoon tea, which seemed perfect, but in checking with them their latest departure is around noon, so that's out. Does anyone have an up to date figure on taxi rates to the gardens? Do you have to ask your driver to return at a certain time? Would it work to ask a taxi driver to include some of the city highlights either on the way out or coming back (for an extra charge of course). Are Victoria taxi drivers generally capable of doing that? Or is there any other option for sightseeing that anyone knows of that I can check into? Some other gardens/sightseeing tours I've seen are just around 4 hours total, but don't include the afternoon tea so when you subtract out an hour to do that at the gardens on your own, there really isn't enough time. I'm thinking the best option is the taxi even though it is on the expensive side, and then pay for garden admission and the tea ourselves, which of course all adds up. But would love to hear of some all inclusive options that anyone can come up with. Thanks for your help.

Have you thought about taking a taxi out to Butchart Gardens and touring it on your own. It is about a 30 minute drive and you can see a lot more on your own.

Then go back to Victoria and have afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. You can make reservations on line with them.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/

Afterwards or before hand you can walk around downtown Victoria which is not to be missed.

Keith

If it's the Afternoon Tea you are really looking forward to, then I suggest the iconic Empress Hotel in downtown Victoria. (It's pricy though.)

You can walk to the hotel from the ship, or if you prefer it is a 5 minute cab ride. Stroll around the harbour and look at all of the boats.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/afternoontea/

Here's a link to Victoria Harbour tours. Kind of cute.

http://victoriaharbourferry.com/2011/03/special-tours-victoria-harbour/

Have read & heard that the tea at Butchart Gardens is cheaper & better than Empress. That said, you can go to the website for Empress & use their link to make your own reservation for afternoon or evening tea (the latter is probably too close to time you need to reboard your ship). We did this & will be having our evening tea with no tour, giving us more time to explore Victoria on our own. Have heard it's a very walkable area around the pier & lovely.

It's true, the Afternoon Tea at Butchard Gardens is a little cheaper than the Empress and it includes the entrance fee, but I highly doubt the Afternno Tea is better.

The Empress has its own pastry chef and team. The sweets are prepared daily. Butcahrd Gardens wouldn't have a pastry chef and there's a good possibility some of the sweets are brought in.

For ambiance (including the tea china) the Empress cannot be beat.

Again, if you are specifically looking for an Afternoon Tea, do yourself a favor and make a reservation at the Empress.

Reservations are a must and I just read on their website that they only hold your reserved table for 10 minutes and will then give it away.

You know what? I don't think you'll like this, but given the tight time frame (you will probably be off the ship by 3:00 at the earliest and must be back onboard by 9:00 pm at the latest), you have a conservative 6 hours in Victoria. I would do one or the other. Trying to do both the Gardens, and Afternoon Tea at the Empress is too much (if it is the Empress you are choosing for tea).

If I were you, I would prioritize; choose what you want to do more, and do that with gusto. If you choose tea, there is lots to do in the downtown area afterward. The Royal BC Museum is tops. Government Street is filled with shops (Rogers Chocolates!!). The Inner Harbour is glorious, especially at sunset.

Some here will say you can easily do both, but I say the opposite. I lived in Victoria for 35 years, I know the traffic and the layout of the city. If you choose to do both, you are pushing it, IMO.

Have fun. :)

You know what? I don't think you'll like this, but given the tight time frame (you will probably be off the ship by 3:00 at the earliest and must be back onboard by 9:00 pm at the latest), you have a conservative 6 hours in Victoria. I would do one or the other. Trying to do both the Gardens, and Afternoon Tea at the Empress is too much (if it is the Empress you are choosing for tea).

If I were you, I would prioritize; choose what you want to do more, and do that with gusto. If you choose tea, there is lots to do in the downtown area afterward. The Royal BC Museum is tops. Government Street is filled with shops (Rogers Chocolates!!). The Inner Harbour is glorious, especially at sunset.

Some here will say you can easily do both, but I say the opposite. I lived in Victoria for 35 years, I know the traffic and the layout of the city. If you choose to do both, you are pushing it, IMO.

Have fun. :)

I completely agree. Pick one.

Gardens and tea OR

Empress and walk around the harbour/ downtown

BTW, The Empress suggests at least one hour in order to really enjoy the tea.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. You know you are making it very difficult for me!! Just about everyone is suggesting doing the afternoon tea at the Empress. I do hope you are all planning oin contributing towards this - you realize it is $60CAN per person. Rougly the same amount will get me into Butchart Gardens with afternoon tea there! Of course if we go to the Empress I'm saving approx. $50 in taxi fares - right? So it is pretty close to a wash except that we don't see the gardens. But we would be able to do some sightseeing ourselves around town. I checked out the menu at the gardens and it seems pretty good, but you're right - it's probabaly not up to par with the Empress. Now tell me honestly, would you really skip the gardens in favor of tea at the Empress? That's about what it all boils down to I guess. And then just stroll around town ourselves for the remainder of the time. Thanks again for all your help. You can see it's working! I'm already altering the title of this post!

Sorry but I prefered tea at the Gardens (and yes they have their own pastry chef, they do not bring anything in from outside). Having said that, with your limited time you will have to chose either seeing the Gardens or doing tea at the Empress.

My 2 cents worth - tea is tea. You can do tea at many different places. Buchart Gardens is one of a kind. Take a taxi and do the gardens, have tea there if you wish. If you have any time left you can walk around the inner harbor and/or downtown and then catch another cab back to your ship.

Either way, enjoy. Victoria is a great place to visit.

Afternoon Tea at the Empress is expensive - I'm gobsmacked at how costly it is now! You can have an entire meal for less than that for 2 people. Goodness. BUT... you are paying for the once-in-a-liftime experience, as they say.

Having said that, the Gardens are magnificent. You do not have to take a cab out there, or a ship's tour - you can get out there via shuttle, I'm sure (either right from the pier, or perhaps in front of the Empress Hotel). You can look on the Canada ports of call board for info (it's discussed regularly there, actually).

It's true, the Afternoon Tea at Butchard Gardens is a little cheaper than the Empress and it includes the entrance fee, but I highly doubt the Afternno Tea is better.

The Empress has its own pastry chef and team. The sweets are prepared daily. Butcahrd Gardens wouldn't have a pastry chef and there's a good possibility some of the sweets are brought in.

For ambiance (including the tea china) the Empress cannot be beat.

Again, if you are specifically looking for an Afternoon Tea, do yourself a favor and make a reservation at the Empress.

Reservations are a must and I just read on their website that they only hold your reserved table for 10 minutes and will then give it away.

As someone else said -- The Butchart Gardens does have its own Pastry Chef. Keith is very good and all our "sweets" are made in our kitchens. Be sure to check out our Afternoon Tea menu http://www.butchartgardens.com/images/stories/PDF/2012drafternoontea.pdf

I really have to chime in that the gardens were amazing. I would vote for walking tours and seeing the gardens over the tea. But that was just me. My hubby and I enjoyed being able to explore the town, see the harbor and people watch. Do what will mean the most to you later when you reflect back on your memories.

My mother in law and I had tea at the Empress. It was an experience that I won't forget. I don't know about tea at the gardens as I haven't been there. Since I can't eat wheat they made all my things special and I had as many things as she did. It was so good. The walk around the hotel area is really interesting as well. There is a tea shop there that had a lot of really interesting teas. I just wish I had bought more of one of the teas as it was really good. My mother in law used to live right there but she has moved back to Ontario now.

tigercat

We had just walked through a beautiful park in town when a local suggested we take a bus to the gardens. It was an interesting trip through some nicely landscaped residential areas and only costs a couple of bucks each way. We had a blast at about one quarter of the ship's cost.

If only everything in life was such a difficult decision....

We have done both tea at the Empress (and stayed there as well) and had tea at Butchart Gardens. Both are great experiences. We are going again in August after our Alaskan cruise. I have chosen to do tea at Butchart Gardens just because the gardens are so spectacular. You will have to pay for your transportation there, so that add to your cost, but admission and tea together will only be a few dollars more than just tea at the Empress. Plus, you can just walk into the Empress and soak up the atmosphere, take a few photos and say that you have been there...for free. Then go home and plan your return someday!

I noticed that Butchart Gardens responded, but the Empress did not....

Thank you very much for your input and for taking the time to reply. I checked CVS's schedule aand was amazed to find that their last shuttle to the gardens is at 2:20 pm (10 mins before we arrive), and their last return shuttle is at 4:45 pm. This is amazing when the gardens are open later hours in Summer. Butchart shoudl really try working with them to provide extended service. Thanks again.

Do what will mean the most to you later when you reflect back on your memories.

Good thought! Thank you very much to everyone who responded. I'm still mulling over all the options, but the above writer has really give me pause. If it were just for me, I would choose the gardens and tea there. But I really think afternoon tea at the Empress would please my wife a great deal and mean more to her. That is until she finds out how much it costs and breaks my fingers! So there's the dilemma. No doubt I'll work it out by next month, but thank you all very much for your suggestions; they are really helpful.

Archived