Shark on the menu?

pinkmaija

Golfadj I guess like father like son :)

I also have heard numerous of times in various places that scallops were not just that but of shark.

The alligator dipping sauce what was that like, I prefer mine with no sauce but if its on the tough side I may want the sauce

I never seen any menu's with these items on them does anybody have copies as we going on the Dream in two months?

Shark is delicious and there are many varieties out there that are in plentiful quantity. In Australia the main type of fish on the Fish and Chip shops board is Flake "aka shark/Gummy shark" and it's one of the few preferences I have for fish. It's white, chunky and delicious. The ones on the ship look like they are mixed with too much stuff and I would rather just enjoy them on their own.

Certain species of sharks are endangered, and one of the reasons for that is actually the high demand for shark fin soup. Not only is it a delicacy, it has been a staple at a lot of business and government functions in Asia. And as business has increased in some parts of Asia (especially China) and affluence increased as well, the demand for a luxury good like shark fin soup has shot up to the point that it's heavily endangered the shark population and led to cruel fishing practices. When the fins retail at over $200 per pound, you can see the allure. This year however has seen a change in attitudes towards shark fins (at least officially). China will no longer serve shark fin soup at state banquets, and some major hotel chains in Asia have joined "anti-shark fin" bans for their restaurants. So that's some progress. There's an article in the NY Times about it if you're interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/world/asia/china-says-no-more-shark-fin-soup-at-state-banquets.html

However, there are hundreds of species of shark, so what you eat on Carnival ships is unlikely to come from endangered population.

Shark is good if cooked right. Used to have friends that would catch them and give us some. When they first start selling them in the stores they were cheap till they became popular then the price went up.

I've not heard of sharks being endangered, seems surfers down under are on sharks menu lately.

That is scarey:rolleyes:. Shark populations globally are down 90% and 30% of those are endangered. Millions of years sharks have kept our oceans healthy but in the last 50 years the population is down 90%...think about it.

Anyway, like what was said, there are many species that are good to go. A Blacktip fillet on a beachside grilled that is drowned in Italian dressing is really good. Bleed it out immediately and it's pretty good eating. A Mako steak, grilled, is probably the best of the best. Neither one is on the menu on a Carnival ship regardless of what anyone says. You are NOT eating Mako (fried Mako? LOL) Thresher is suppose to be pretty good but we don't get those down here in southern Texas.

Regardless, more than likely on a cruise ship you are eating pollock, cod or a variety of whiting. It is imitation just like the 'crab' meat you eat in the buffet line. If word got out that Carnival serves shark meat....I don't want to even get into it :eek:

The global shark populations are in serious danger. If you want to learn more then by all means youtube or google 'Sharkwater'. Watch the whole thing. It is a eye opener.

BON APPETIT

Lots of the fish at our fish n chippys are shark, aka flake...think there was a time that they used shark and called it everything else...how would you know?

Luckily I'm allergic to seafood so don't eat it.

Am from Western Australia which after this weekends fatal shark attack has been named the most dangerous coast for great white shark attacks, rip.

Am thankful, we don't live anywhere near the ocean so none of my family are surfing or swimming in the ocean.

Kangaroo is lovely meat - very tender indeed. Buffalo didn't enjoy quite -tough, and couldn't bring myself to eat crocodile meat.

Hope you get to try the foods that you are interested in trying.

I was told years ago, that a lot of what I thought were scallops were actually the fins of shark and rays. Well now that I have an allergy to scallops I can really tell the difference(like I can't breathe).

I tried the alligator fritters when we were on the Fascination, I liked them, well I liked the dipping suace.

Have heard that years ago.

unfortunatly there are many cases of illegal substitution of fish. Most come not from the the people who server it but from the supplier.

here in florida, a couple years ago it was grouper, many suppliers were sell asian cat fish in its place and were caught thru DNA testing.

Shark steaks ( Mako) were cheap at one time and were often substituted for sword fish .

If one can get fresh shark/mako try it , its very good , also its about 9 bucks a pound

we had them on our cruise.. to be honest they weren't that good.

by the name "firecracker roll" I thought they'd be somewhat sushi-like in presentation, but they were basically just shark fritters (like clam cakes).. very greasy, lots of batter, and hard to even taste the sharky bits.

The best shark I ever had was in Ensenada at a corner food vender under one of those umbrellas far from the ship. We always hunt those venders out, the same one had awesome urchin and octopus cerviche as well.

99% of the time a restaurant, like on a Carnival ship will substitute or add only a fraction to a filler batter, I cannot tell you how many times in the caribbean I have had conch fritters with tiny bits of conch in 96% batter.

Cruises do well in getting you to places to try local foods, last cruise to the Western Carib we dined on Gibnut in Belize, Cowsfoot, Sea Turtle and Oxtail in Grand Cayman, drank guifiti in Roatan etc..

Yesterday I spent the day smoking buffalo tongues (3) and buffalo hearts (2) in my smoker for sandwiches and in my freezer currently is moose, bear and venison besides many local fish. I admit I am a fan of adventourous foods. I keep adding to my list be it beaver,muskrat, bobcat, horse, coyote, snapper turtle, porcupine, raccoon, elk,antelope, frogs, squirrels etc.. If I hunt or trap it or dies on a friends farm my fork is at the ready.

The best shark I ever had was in Ensenada at a corner food vender under one of those umbrellas far from the ship. We always hunt those venders out, the same one had awesome urchin and octopus cerviche as well.

99% of the time a restaurant, like on a Carnival ship will substitute or add only a fraction to a filler batter, I cannot tell you how many times in the caribbean I have had conch fritters with tiny bits of conch in 96% batter.

Cruises do well in getting you to places to try local foods, last cruise to the Western Carib we dined on Gibnut in Belize, Cowsfoot, Sea Turtle and Oxtail in Grand Cayman, drank guifiti in Roatan etc..

Yesterday I spent the day smoking buffalo tongues (3) and buffalo hearts (2) in my smoker for sandwiches and in my freezer currently is moose, bear and venison besides many local fish. I admit I am a fan of adventourous foods. I keep adding to my list be it beaver,muskrat, bobcat, horse, coyote, snapper turtle, porcupine, raccoon, elk,antelope, frogs, squirrels etc.. If I hunt or trap it or dies on a friends farm my fork is at the ready.

Assuming you are on the level all I can say is wow.

I have a policy of not eating anything that might under other circumstances eat me

I have a policy of eating them before they eat me!

p.s. Even way up here in Canada, I have shark in my freezer right now. I make appetizer bites out of it. Texture like chicken, but can have a strong fishy taste.

I have a policy of eating them before they eat me!

p.s. Even way up here in Canada, I have shark in my freezer right now. I make appetizer bites out of it. Texture like chicken, but can have a strong fishy taste.

Just make sure they dont find out about your policy and decide to get even. icon7.gif

This might sound crazy, but dh and I once had a fisherman for a chain restaurant group down in Clearwater, FL tell us that 90% of all sea scallops that are sold in restaurants are actually shark meat (because it's cheaper and more plentiful). Has anyone else heard this before?:o

I spent several years working in the restaurant business and yes this is true.

Archived