Shark on the menu?

pinkmaija

From what I am seeing, shark fritters (or something like that) are on the Didja menu in the MDR...I thought people didn't really eat shark, as they are often endangered, and hunted cruelly...is it just me? Is there something I am missing??

Thanks!

Shark and Langoustino Firecracker Roll

Shark was on the menu. I didn't eat any because I was diving the next day and all I needed was to meet one and he or she somehow determined that I ate their cousin and take a bite out of me. :D:D:D

"I have a policy of not eating anything that might under other circumstances eat me" Stu. Like

Sounds more like sushi (roll?). I'd definitely like to try it, didn't notice it on the Inspiration Didja menu last Halloween. I've not heard of sharks being endangered, seems surfers down under are on sharks menu lately.

We go to this restaurant sometimes its called Clarks Fishcamp and you can find all sorts of odd stuff to eat, but its mainly fresh seafood place with some meats on menu. They have wonderful alligator and such a fine tender mild shark bites....loved it, then we ordered more appetizers we tried Kangaroo which taste just like beef it was very very good...we tried couta which is turtle that was mild and good too...then my daughter asked for rattlesnake yep you heard right and I tell you that is where I draw the line....I just couldn't do it and my daughter at that time was 17 she says mom I rather eat it than have it eat somebody else hahaha

I don't know? Good question. I am guessing that you are not eating a great white but some other shark-maybe a Mako? I am also guessing there is not a lot of shark in those but since I haven't ever tried them I really don't know. When I googled "sharks to eat" the Mako came up most frequently and it looks like there are lots of restaurants that serve them????

Shark was on the menu. I didn't eat any because I was diving the next day and all I needed was to meet one and he or she somehow determined that I ate their cousin and take a bite out of me. :D:D:D

"I have a policy of not eating anything that might under other circumstances eat me" Stu. Like

Sharks know when one of their own is eaten and will definitely take revenge.

I do believe its Mado but not quite sure all I know its white meat and its tender and mild and its good

goldadj If I in the water and a shark nearby it was only my fault for being there in the first place your too funny...love your comments because you do have some good points there lol

I do believe its Mado but not quite sure all I know its white meat and its tender and mild and its good

goldadj If I in the water and a shark nearby it was only my fault for being there in the first place your too funny...love your comments because you do have some good points there lol

Why thank you. My son btw is much funnier than me.

Sounds more like sushi (roll?). I'd definitely like to try it, didn't notice it on the Inspiration Didja menu last Halloween. I've not heard of sharks being endangered, seems surfers down under are on sharks menu lately.

Here is a picture

DSC_4118.JPG

From what I am seeing, shark fritters (or something like that) are on the Didja menu in the MDR...I thought people didn't really eat shark, as they are often endangered, and hunted cruelly...is it just me? Is there something I am missing??

Thanks!

Black tip shark steaks are commonly found in grocery stores

Asian cultures use shark fins as a delicacy - shark fin soup can cost upwards of $100 a bowl, even though the fin itself is pretty tasteless. Its more a show of affluence. Being asian, I've had it before and its nothing more than chicken based soup with the fins adding texture.

The big issue is that ONLY the fins are harvested and the rest of the shark is trashed. With shark fins selling for high dollar, its pretty big incentive for asian fisherman to cruelly hunt shark only for the fins.

Commercial shark fishing, OTOH, is no different than fishing for other species - tuna, grouper, etc and is no more cruel.

I don't believe there is an issue with the shark fritters.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I have a policy of not eating anything that might under other circumstances eat me

LOL! I was going to say the same thing!

I have a policy of not eating anything that might under other circumstances eat me

Hahaha, that is toooo funny! And true!

Shark was on the menu when I was on the Miracle May 30th- I didn't try it. I heard lots of people talking about it/saying how good it was, though!:rolleyes:

This might sound crazy, but dh and I once had a fisherman for a chain restaurant group down in Clearwater, FL tell us that 90% of all sea scallops that are sold in restaurants are actually shark meat (because it's cheaper and more plentiful). Has anyone else heard this before?:o

I was told years ago, that a lot of what I thought were scallops were actually the fins of shark and rays. Well now that I have an allergy to scallops I can really tell the difference(like I can't breathe).

I tried the alligator fritters when we were on the Fascination, I liked them, well I liked the dipping suace.

We called them Shark Balls. They were nasty/dry/gritty/taste like nothing crap.

Not sure if they are still doing it but the Gator fritters were actually calamari. Pretty bold to serve something that someone may be allergic to without telling them.

Archived