Ketchikan Excursions & Rain

MarcieandTed

Can't decide whether to book excursions now or wait until closer when we can see the weather forecast (perhaps already on the cruise?!). Thinking of ziplining or kayaking, both of which seem like they would be miserable in the rain.

Are these activities that could be booked last minute and/or upon arrival? Is there a tourist center near the dock that sells same day tours? Thx!

If you're worried about the rain you'd probably be happier just staying on the ship. Both of the activites you're asking about we do rain or no rain. The only thing that might shut those down are high winds.

My experience with weather forecasts in Alaska is that they always say rain so don't put much weight on the forecasts. It may rain or it may be a beautiful sunny day or you may get a mixture of both.

Yes, there are vendors at the dock where you can book same day excursions.

I've found that tours often provide rain gear when appropriate. When we did a rainforest walk in Ketchikan, we were all given cheap plastic ponchos. Most people ended up using theirs. We had appropriate rain jackets and kept ours as souvenirs. When we went rafting in Haines and it rained, they had real rain ponchos to lend out to anyone who wanted them. Again, most people on our raft used them, but we were wearing our rain jackets and didn't need them. :cool:

In Ketchikan, I can personally recommend this company:

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

We reserved in advance, but others reported that they were able to get space the day of port arrival. Carry their phone number with you, and, if the weather looks promising when you arrive, then call them as soon as you exit the ship to determine their availability.

The problem is if you wait till the last minute that you either won't get the excursion you want or you will waste valuable time booking it.

Just bring clothes in preparation of rain and that is true of all the ports. If rain bothers you try to book an excursion where that will be less of a factor.

Keith

We've been fortunate to have had beautiful sunny days both times we were in Ketchikan. On our first cruise, we went snorkeling. On our second, we kayaked. Both are great excursions. I'm coming prepared in three weeks for rain with our heavy duty ponchos and waterproof shoes. This year we're going to Totem Bight and Potlach.

I am picky, I don't book kayak trips until I get to Ketchikan, BUT, I immediately contact my vendors early morning, and see what's available. I have never had any problem getting a trip.

BUT- I don't care if I go or not. I have been on several trips, and go to Alaska every year. May make a difference with someone else.

In ALL of my trips up I've NEVER had rain in Ketchikan and we've worn shorts there several times.

Once it was pouring VERY hard in Juneau but that never bothered us on our hikes.

It's Alaska. The rain is what makes it green.;)

I will keep good thoughts for you that you will have bright sunshine as we've always had...............usually we go the last week of August and the first weeks of Sept. A couple of times we've gone in June.

The BEST trip was June 18 ~ August 8 in our motorhome using the Alaska Marine System.................now, it's always cruises plus our own itinerary on land for a week or so.

ENJOY!:p

Plan on it raining and book it!

Please do not let rain deter you from doing what you'd like to do!

Dress for it!

It DRIZZLED for 95% of our recent cruise and we NEVER got wet, even the 2% that was down right rain!

The week before us it was 80's for 3 days, luck of the draw.

Although Alaska must certainly be breathtaking in the sunlight,

we found the constant gray, fog, clouds and drizzle gave it a very mystical, spellbinding appeal!

And we motorcycled in the rain, in Ketchikan, with the addition of rain pants.

You've heard to dress in layers, right?

Take on and off layers as needed and stow in a waterproofed sturdy string pack.

This is what I wore:

Underwear and bra

Long sleeve T-shirt

Light weight zip up cotten knit type jacket

Leggings underneath jeans

Med weight socks

Clark Privo Waterproof Mid Boots

Rain jacket with hood

Baseball cap with bill waterproofed with spray at home pre-cruise

Just go prepared for rain and be grateful if it doesn't. We took LL Bean Trail rain coats and waterproof pants from Sierra Trading along w waterproof shoes and smart wool socks. We used it all on different occasions.

We did the zipline in the rain and it wasn't bad. It was raining hard when we got off the ship but our bus driver said it usually is just misty where the excursion is and she was right. I believe they had ponchos if you wanted them, but I had a really light rain jacket with me already. I got a bit damp but I wore those same pants all day without getting feeling soaked or anything.

Archived