Need help urgently regarding expired passport

needalatte74

I didn't realize my US passport had recently expired. Totally my bad and I feel really stupid about it. I was born in another country but am a US citizen now.

I am sailing on the Sky this weekend to the bahamas and have just been told by an NCL rep that I won't be allowed on the ship!

Is this true??

I realize that traveling without a valid passport is not a good idea if I should be stranded outside of the country, but to deny boarding for a cruise to Nassau??

Can anyone help put my mind at ease? I'm freaking out here :eek:

Hmm...

Have you looked at what the dept of state says?? state.gov

What if you bring your birth certificate, drivers license, and naturalization papers?

I would actually call the state department and get an answer there! OR get over to the federal building and get a new passport that day. You will have to make an appointment but that is the best way to go. I hope you live close to an issuing department.

Thank you for your quick update.

I frantically searched on NCL's website and this is the verbiage:

General Documentation and Visa Information

U.S. Citizens

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

I have my certificate of U.S. citizenship. I also have my voter's registration card, and my expired passport..

Whew!! Crisis averted!!! I can go finish packing now..

U.S. Citizens

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

I have my certificate of U.S. citizenship. I also have my voter's registration card, and my expired passport..

NCL tends to love passports and sometimes they can mislead you. The quote you copied is called the closed loop sailing clause and as it states passport is not required. This issue is a big topic of the boards every other day and it is amazing how many cruisers still think you must have a passport. of course a passport is always the best or most ideal option, espeially if you have an emergency and mus fly home from an island, BUT it is not required.

So relax and enjoy and get your passport at your leisure wen you return.:D

Kev:cool:

U.S. Citizens

I would print out that web page and bring it along with you as well...you may also need that for proof depending on who is checking you in.

Howard

My wife has used her naturalization certificate to sail to the Bahamas coupled with her driver's license. Twice.:) Have a great trip! (Oh, and it costs around $400 to replace a nat cert so make sure you lock that sucker in the safe.)

I'm unsure about whether or not you need a passport. But why not call your local passport office and have one expedited? I'm having one done for my daughter, it's a one day process. Better safe than sorry, no?

NCL tends to love passports and sometimes they can mislead you. The quote you copied is called the closed loop sailing clause and as it states passport is not required. This issue is a big topic of the boards every other day and it is amazing how many cruisers still think you must have a passport. of course a passport is always the best or most ideal option, espeially if you have an emergency and mus fly home from an island, BUT it is not required.

So relax and enjoy and get your passport at your leisure wen you return.:D

Agreed. Wish we could program the board that a message like this would POP UP anytime someone types the word PASSPORT.

(just joking of course)

Passport is recommended, but for closed loop cruises, it's not required.

If you were born in the US, birth certificate + driver's license will work.

If you are a naturalized US citizen, then naturalization certificate + driver's license will work. Be careful with the naturalization certificate, they are harder to replace than birth certificates in case of loss.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes your absolutely right, a sticky note by Cruise Critic, Not NCL would solve this repeated panic.

Momma where are you when we need you.

:p They did make a sticky, it's huge, and nobody reads it first, not even the last few pages. Everyone posts their own new thread and the amount of wrong responses in all of them continues to astound me. This thread is actually pretty good, with most answers accurate. But for reference, here is that passport sticky thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=467948

Archived