What am I missing (photography wise) for my upcoming AK cruise?

Finch85

Hello all,

A little under a month from now, we will be on our Alaskan cruise. Just wanting to see what I may be forgetting in the photography department? Our activities will include a float plane ride over the Misty Fiords, whale watching tour with Harv and Marv, salmon fishing, and the "usual" touristy things. Please remember, I am a newbie and some of these questions may seem silly. :)

1. I bought the following tripod for it's compact size and ease of travel. If I decided to rent the canon 100-400mm lens, would I need a different tripod (or only a different head) to sustain this lens? Or could I get away with hand holding this lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687306-REG/Oben_AT_3400_BA_00T_AT_3400_Aluminum_Tripod_w.html

2. Do I really need a spare battery if we plan on taking the laptop? I will upload the day's photos each night.

3. I have the one UV haze filter. Do I need any other filters?

4. Instead of renting the Canon 100-400mm...would a teleconverter be a wise investment to use along with my Tammy 18-270?

5. Having the Tamron 18-270, if you guys could only rent one of the following lenses, what would it be? Canon 100-400mm or something more wide angle like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

6. Anything else you guys can think of to tell an aspiring photographer.

Bringing:

Canon 60D

Tamron 18-270 PZD lens w/ hood & Hoya UV haze filter

Oben AT-3400 tripod

Will buy:

More memory cards

Extra battery????

Possibly the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens

Possibly rent:

Canon 100-400MM L lens

2. Do I really need a spare battery if we plan on taking the laptop? I will upload the day's photos each night.

Apologies if I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why you've linked the spare battery question to bringing your laptop; the laptop is for downloading pics, the battery is for making sure your camera can take them! :) At any rate, I think that traveling with at least one spare battery is always a good idea, particularly when you are going someplace where you'll be shooting quite a lot on a daily basis and running down the battery. Even if you don't run out of "juice" during the day, you'll be able to charge one battery overnight and never be without a fresh one in your camera. (I travel with two extra batteries, just in case.)

Alaska is wonderful; have a great trip!

Apologies if I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why you've linked the spare battery question to bringing your laptop; the laptop is for downloading pics, the battery is for making sure your camera can take them! :) At any rate, I think that traveling with at least one spare battery is always a good idea, particularly when you are going someplace where you'll be shooting quite a lot on a daily basis and running down the battery. Even if you don't run out of "juice" during the day, you'll be able to charge one battery overnight and never be without a fresh one in your camera. (I travel with two extra batteries, just in case.)

Alaska is wonderful; have a great trip!

Good catch...don't know what I was thinking. :) I meant I would charge the battery every night (as well as upload pics). I've taken a lot of photos with my camera and the battery has lasted quite a while though so I still question the need for a spare. I'd hate to run out of juice when I need it the most....its not worth the risk of missing a photo of a lifetime. Thanks for tip.

I don't see a way to edit my original post??

Take an extra battery--what is a lot of pics for you.Our trip last year I took 2000-3000 pics a day & 500-800 at night.Edit & delete 75% of your pics after your trip. Your zoom lens will draw more power then you think when taking that many pics. Enjoy, you will love taking pics in Alaska.

There are batteries out there that are charged via the laptop so I thought that was what you meant.

I never go anywhere without two batteries. I've had the misfortune of running out of power before I was done shooting and I don't want that to ever happen again.

Let me recommend a simple thing that came in very handy when we were in Panama. On excursions, take along one of those cheap shower caps that will be in your cabin bathroom. I serves as a great "raincoat" for your camera. You can still see through the viewfinder and take photos. It was a lifesaver (camera saver) when I needed to take those once in a lifetime photos.

Love the Canon 60D, that's what I have!! Have a wonderful cruise to beautiful Alaska. It's a photographers dream!

Let me recommend a simple thing that came in very handy when we were in Panama. On excursions, take along one of those cheap shower caps that will be in your cabin bathroom. I serves as a great "raincoat" for your camera. You can still see through the viewfinder and take photos. It was a lifesaver (camera saver) when I needed to take those once in a lifetime photos.

Rain protection is an excellent suggestion. I would go a bit more "formal" but still cheap with the Op/Tech Rainsleeve (particularly if you'll be using a zoom lens and thus need the length). I always keep one in my camera bag. (Someone once described the Rainsleeve as a bread bag with a drawstring, which has always made me laugh, as it's a fairly accurate description.) You can't re-use it too many times, so it's worth it to buy a couple of packs for a trip, imho (they come 2 to a pack).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/OP_TECH_USA_9001132_18_Rainsleeve_Set_of.html

OP: this message board is set up so that after a certain (small) passage of time, you can't edit your own post.

Hello all,

A little under a month from now, we will be on our Alaskan cruise. Just wanting to see what I may be forgetting in the photography department? Our activities will include a float plane ride over the Misty Fiords, whale watching tour with Harv and Marv, salmon fishing, and the "usual" touristy things. Please remember, I am a newbie and some of these questions may seem silly. :)

1. I bought the following tripod for it's compact size and ease of travel. If I decided to rent the canon 100-400mm lens, would I need a different tripod (or only a different head) to sustain this lens? Or could I get away with hand holding this lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687306-REG/Oben_AT_3400_BA_00T_AT_3400_Aluminum_Tripod_w.html

Personally, I would not take it. I have taken tripods on cruises before and never used it. With the Tamron 18-270, I use a Kenko 1.4 converter. You will most likely have to use manual focus but it will give you the reach and losing only 1 f-stop.

Yes. Always, always carry a spare battery. You simply do not know when it will crap out on you.

3. I have the one UV haze filter. Do I need any other filters?

Consider a circular polarizer.

4. Instead of renting the Canon 100-400mm...would a teleconverter be a wise investment to use along with my Tammy 18-270?

See my response to question 1.

5. Having the Tamron 18-270, if you guys could only rent one of the following lenses, what would it be? Canon 100-400mm or something more wide angle like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

I have both lens and always travel with both. The 17-50 works wonders for those inside photos.

Bringing:

Canon 60D

Tamron 18-270 PZD lens w/ hood & Hoya UV haze filter

Oben AT-3400 tripod

Will buy:

More memory cards

Extra battery????

Possibly the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens

Possibly rent:

Canon 100-400MM L lens

Renting the Canon lens will not be cheap (I assume a 7 day cruise or more?). The Kenko runs about $260 for the Pro version.

Cheers,

I am pretty much a newbie myself but wanted to chime in on the Canon 100-400mm lens. I rented one for our trip to Alaska a couple years ago and loved it. Was especially great when we went whale watching and for shots of wildlife in Denali. I did not use the lens with a tripod, only hand held which works fine. I have never used a converter which sounds like the more economical choice.

Here are my thoughts. I too have a Canon 60D and took a Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105L, and Canon 100-400L. Used the 24-105 & 100-400 for 90% of my pictures. When we went to Alaska last month I did bring a tripod with me. Only time I ended up using it was for the video camera on the balcony a few times. Could have gotten away with not bringing it. Definitely a second battery and lots of memory especially if you take in RAW.

As for the 100-400L, I did rent that lens. I rented through Lensrentals.com and paid $160 for the 13 days I had it. Thought it was well worth the cost and would do it again if I go back to Alaska. It allowed me to get pictures that others with 270mm or 300mm lens could not get, plus the quality of the 100-400L is much better than the non-L lens. If you do rent a lens, I would recommend getting it a few days before you leave and play with it to get use to it. The 100-400L is a beast on the camera and it weights 3.5lbs and the zoom operated differently then my other lenses (slide zoom as opposed to a ring zoom) so it takes some getting use to.

Tim

I would rent the 100-400 . It is not worth taking a tripod unless you are planning for some long exposure photography or want to take pictures of yourself with the timer function, the lens isn't heavy enough to need it. I always bring my tripod but I like to mess around with long exposures both on the ship and in port. I would also invest in an extra battery without a doubt. I travel with a camera grip for my 7D (2 batteries in the camera) and a spare fully charged always! I also always travel with silica packs in my camera bag just to get any extra moisture that you may get in those areas.

An old sports photojournalist's trick---being in that moist of a climate (I used to shoot U of Michigan football games) and every game I drew it rained. Take some RainX and put a bit n the view finder and the filters of your lens.

Also, take a few Hefty garbage bags to wrap your camera in when it rains.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I can rent the 100-400mm "L" lens for around $150 for a couple weeks. Not bad considering the $1600 or so pricetag. I'm also considering just buying a T.C. but I wonder about quality especially coupled with the Tamron.

I do worry that while on the Harv and Marv whale tour that I'll miss some close up shots (w/ the 100-400) if the whales decide to get close. Wonder if my tamron would be better suited for this?

I'm definitely taking my tripod. I want to take some long exposures of waterfalls and use it for self portraits and what not. I won't mind the extra hassle of carrying it around. I WILL pick up an extra battery...not going to risk it.

Is the circular polarizer not what I have? I have a UV haze filter. Same?

I do worry that while on the Harv and Marv whale tour that I'll miss some close up shots (w/ the 100-400) if the whales decide to get close. Wonder if my tamron would be better suited for this?

We did whale watching in Juneau and I had the 100-400 attached to the camera the whole time and never had an issue getting shots or the whales being too close. We have one whale that came within 50m of our boat and I still got good shots at 100mm. I found the longer the better since you do not get as close as you would like to the whales (not sure why the whales would not cooperate....)

Tim

Hello all,

A little under a month from now, we will be on our Alaskan cruise.

You might consider a Neutral Density filter - great for your iceberg/glacier shots

Not sure the tripod is really neccessary. The 100-400 is a awesome lens, I just sent min for routine maintenance before my trip. You can defiantely hand hold it, specially using the Image Stabilization. For me the trippod just meakes the 100-400 harder to move around. If you are shooting wildlife with it you won't want to be stuck to a tripod... But, if you want a tripod and you want to attach your 100-400 you may want a better head. The tripod itself will probably be fine but the weight of the camera plus lens may be too much for a budget tripod head.

Buy and extra battery, or two. You can buy after market batteries that aren't very expensive and running out of juice or having your battery crap out is not a good feeling.

You could get a few filters, but that depends on what you want to deal with. Other than a UV, you may check out a Circular Polarizer for nice landscapes including bright skies or refelctions off of water.

If your primary lens is 18mm at it's wide end, don't waste yoru time on anythign else on the wide end.

My Alaska lenses will be a 10-22, 24-105 and a 100-400. I am fortunate enough to have several other lenses, but this will be my set up for the trip. I DO bring a small travel tripod but not for the big lens. I use it once or twice with the smaller lens to get some nice pictures of me and my wife on deck during sunsets or on our balcony. It works for that and we get some nice photos of ourself, but it never leaves the ship. As far as accessories go I stick with my UV filter, several extra batteries and cards but that's about it.

The 100-400 is coming with me for wildlife, on many other trips I stick to the first two (and often only the 24-105) because the 400 is just a little bit of overkill in many places, but with bears, whales and eagles all on my chekcklist for this trip, the 100-400 will get a lot of work.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have ordered two more batteries for $36 (non-Canon - fully decoded). Still need to get some more memory cards. I currently use the Sandisk Extreme 16GB 45mbps class 10 card. How many extra should I buy? Other than this trip, I don't see where I'll need a whole bunch of extra cards so I was thinking of buying 2 more for a total of 3.

Would you recommend me shooting in RAW & Jpeg, JPEG only, RAW only? I haven't done a lot of editing...actually don't have a program to edit with anyway. Should this impact my decision of shooting in RAW or JPEG or both? I do plan to upload pics to my laptop each night.

Also, still need to order the circular polarizer for my Tammy 18-270. Should I buy a filter of some sort for the rental Canon 100-400?

Would you recommend me shooting in RAW & Jpeg, JPEG only, RAW only? I haven't done a lot of editing...actually don't have a program to edit with anyway. Should this impact my decision of shooting in RAW or JPEG or both? I do plan to upload pics to my laptop each night.

If you aren't obsessed with editing, shoot JPEG fine. RAW+JPEG uses a huge amount of space. RAW has it's place in the photo world but if you don't do a lot of editing now (and don't have an editor that handles RAW), the extra work involved in converting RAW images to JPEG (post, make a book, etc.) before you can do anything with them will just be a bother. With JPEG fine you can still apply a great deal of correction if needed and modern cameras produce excellent JPEGs straight out of the camera.

Dave

I personally shoot Raw + Jpeg. If I want the ship to process them, I'll need them in Jpeg. But I always shoot Raw because I forget to check the camera settings from the last shoot, and I can adjust the WB. I'd get one memory card for each port day. And backing them up daily is good too. Also, I'd get the Circular Polarizer to fit your largest lens, then buy step up rings, so you can use them on all your lenses. Some people also like the FLW for the blue hour. In Alaska, your blue hour should last longer.

My two spare batteries arrived today...not bad, $36 for 2 batteries w/ charger. Got a circular polarizer filter on the way from B&H. Ordered two Sandisk extreme 16GB cards from amazon. My 100-400mm rental Canon lens should arrive a couple days before we depart. I think I am set.

When we were in Alaska, I loved taking photos with my long lens of the whales but the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful too! Sure you can take some photos of the mountains, etc. with the long lens but I was wishing I would have had a great point and shoot or a second camera along for the scenery. Now I carry one with me always.

When we were in Alaska, I loved taking photos with my long lens of the whales but the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful too! Sure you can take some photos of the mountains, etc. with the long lens but I was wishing I would have had a great point and shoot or a second camera along for the scenery. Now I carry one with me always.

While I have the "nice" camera, the DW will have the superzoom. I think we are set. I might even have a P&S in my pocket. :)

Archived