How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

That's nice to know about the Brilliance - that it'll get revamped soon - I think it is my favorite ship - went on her 5 times - love the deck layout... not too big, not too small -

Glad to hear you had a great cruise - now onto your next cruise - the Freedom

is nice too - a bigger version of the Voyager class - but the biggee here will be your suite!! wow!

Thank You for the birthday greetings - it was fun - still getting cards and phone calls -

HOpe you are feeling better - I went thru my bout with the flu last week - miserable - glad it's done!!

Hello Everyone - can't believe it's Turkey Time again - I was a week behind and didn't realize it's already NEXT week - I do have my turkey - always love the smell of turkey in the oven -

carol

Hi everyone. Yes, I am home, and yes, today I am a year older. I've done absolutely nothing which is quite okay.

Carol, in the midst of being at sea, I missed your birthday. Happy Belated Birthday. Sounds like you had a great day.

Some brief notes about the cruise:

• Cape Liberty's port had sustained some damage during Sandy, but the port folks managed to set up temporary quarters for check-in which worked just fine. Passengers from previous cruise were able to disembark, we embarked and sailed away right on time.
  • Seas were a bit choppy still as we headed south. The rocking and rolling lulled me to sleep.
  • Our Meet 'n Mingle had 147, and the staff did a good job. Our roll call sponsored several events on the three sea days - slot pull, cabin crawl, group lunch in the dining room, poker run. Mostly the same 20-30 people participated.
  • Quite a few people on board from NJ, NY and New England. Some of them still had no power when we left, so they headed to their cabins and showered as soon as they got on the ship.
  • Then four islands in four days: St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Tortola and St. Thomas. I took a private tour on St. Kitts that was excellent and a ship's tour on Tortola that was good. Stayed on board at St. Maarten and just walked around the port on St. Thomas.
  • Disembarked in San Juan, and I stayed 2 nights in a small, older hotel in the middle of Old San Juan. Not the best hotel but incredibly good staff and excellent location.

I still love the Brilliance, but she is showing her age. She goes into dry dock next spring for refurbishment and enhancements which will help.

There were also a few issues with crew members' attitudes. I was totally surprised. Didn't keep me from enjoying myself at all though.

Cruised with two of the women who have booked the Presidential Suite on the Freedom OTS next year. Fun to meet them in person and to see how well we got along.

Arrived home last night and am ready to go again, but it will be March before I do. I'm also glad to be home with my three kitty babies.

Beth

A belated very happy birthday Beth....I hope you are still in a celebration mode! Your cruise sounds like is was great; that is one thing about cruising that I really like. No cruise is ever the same even though it could be the same ship and/or ports. I have never been on the Freedom, something I can look forward to in my cruise future sometime.

I am ready for the weekend.

(Beth, how old are your kitty babies? :) It made me smile when you mentioned them, I am a kitty lover.) :D

Hope all are well, have a great day!

That's nice to know about the Brilliance - that it'll get revamped soon - I think it is my favorite ship - went on her 5 times - love the deck layout... not too big, not too small -

Glad to hear you had a great cruise - now onto your next cruise - the Freedom

is nice too - a bigger version of the Voyager class - but the biggee here will be your suite!! wow!

Thank You for the birthday greetings - it was fun - still getting cards and phone calls -

HOpe you are feeling better - I went thru my bout with the flu last week - miserable - glad it's done!!

Hello Everyone - can't believe it's Turkey Time again - I was a week behind and didn't realize it's already NEXT week - I do have my turkey - always love the smell of turkey in the oven -

carol

I love turkey too. I am the pie baker for our celebration; we go to my sister's home for the dinner. It is always very good eating and very fun. This year I am baking apple, pecan, french silk and coconut cream pies. Yum! :D:D

Glad everyone is feeling better; being sick is such a nuisance! I did not get sick after my flu shot, thank goodness. Stay well all!

I am not a good pie baker - the crust never turns out for me - i should cheat and buy the frozen ones but it's not the same - I love pies tho'!! yum -- esp lemon meringue...

I agree, each cruise is always different and creates different memories - they are all special to me and have loved them all - when I step onto that ship each time, I smile and think, 'I am home'!!! ha!ha!

I have exactly two weeks before we fly to Ft Lauderdale - can't wait!! This Allure ship is something I have been looking forward to for a while now -

It's rainy here - cold -- but need to go out and do some errands -

carol

My cats are Lili - age 9 and Angus - age 3. I also have Bengal who is about 6. I adopted him a couple of years ago, and the person I got him from thought he was 4. Lili is a wee gray tabby; Bengal is a big orange tabby and Angus is a mid size long gray haired cat with beautiful white markings.

Carol, I'd forgotten about your cruise on the Allure. I'll be interested in what you think about it.

Several years ago I got pretty good at making pie crusts, but I haven't had any practice in a long time. Now I just buy the frozen crusts if and when I make a pie which is rare.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Beth

My most favorite cat is Garfield - I have been a fan since his birth -- I have Garfield "everthing" - and during Christmas, I have a nice tree with Garfield ornts, and all my Garfields are out enjoying the season - I have the stationeries, books, pens, clothes, pillow cases, etc etc........

I will surely tell everyone here about the Allure - !! i am so excited about being on her.. .carol

I am not a good pie baker - the crust never turns out for me - i should cheat and buy the frozen ones but it's not the same - I love pies tho'!! yum -- esp lemon meringue...

I agree, each cruise is always different and creates different memories - they are all special to me and have loved them all - when I step onto that ship each time, I smile and think, 'I am home'!!! ha!ha!

I have exactly two weeks before we fly to Ft Lauderdale - can't wait!! This Allure ship is something I have been looking forward to for a while now -

It's rainy here - cold -- but need to go out and do some errands -

carol

I did not know you were going on the Allure! Very exciting.... I was booked on the Oasis in August 2013 but canceled because something came up :(. I will get on one of them soon; they look fantastic! I want to hear ALL about it. Are you packed yet, I would be. :D:D

I did not know you were going on the Allure! Very exciting.... I was booked on the Oasis in August 2013 but canceled because something came up :(. I will get on one of them soon; they look fantastic! I want to hear ALL about it. Are you packed yet, I would be. :D:D

I am retired but I am not very organized - I goof off too much and always off on a different direction - ha!ha! I am going to start packing SOON -- hubby is very organized - and he's still working!! I will tell you all about my cruise on the Allure!

carol

Carol, when is your Allure cruise? I know it's soon. Are you on the same cruise as Cruise Wizard (Gary)? He's very active on our Freedom roll call even though we're over a year away.

I'm going to a community Thanksgiving Dinner. I'm taking cornbread dressing like my mother and first MIL (actually only one I knew) made. I did my grocery shopping today. The store was a madhouse.

Beth

My most favorite cat is Garfield - I have been a fan since his birth -- I have Garfield "everthing" - and during Christmas, I have a nice tree with Garfield ornts, and all my Garfields are out enjoying the season - I have the stationeries, books, pens, clothes, pillow cases, etc etc........

I will surely tell everyone here about the Allure - !! i am so excited about being on her.. .carol

Hi

I like reading Garfield, but I am allergic to cats, dogs and coffee. No cats or dogs in my house. I am surrounded by dog lovers. Both neighbors have 2 dogs each. DW and I will be on the Century in Jan-- Panama Canal cruise.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tom:)

Someone mentioned about colds and flu. Well it is definitely going on here in the Kansas City or Missouri area. In fact, last week one of the schools close down in one of our suburban areas or towns. Several people have been off from work, as well as being out of church.

I had a flu shot, so hopefully that will help me.:)

ilovescotland, you caught my attention, when you mentioned about making pies, or "pie crust"

I like to make pies, and have always made them with Crisco. I have "changed" to save time, and no one knows the difference. I now use Jiffy pie mix and roll out the dough, and it is just as good.

Actually, I remember as a young girl when my grandmother used to use "pure lard", and those pie crust were the BEST!

ilovescotland, you caught my attention, when you mentioned about making pies, or "pie crust"

I like to make pies, and have always made them with Crisco. I have "changed" to save time, and no one knows the difference. I now use Jiffy pie mix and roll out the dough, and it is just as good.

Actually, I remember as a young girl when my grandmother used to use "pure lard", and those pie crust were the BEST!

"

My grandmothers and my mother used "pure lard" as well back in West Tennessee where I grew up. Often, in the case of one grandmother, it was from a hog they had killed. Lard also made the best biscuits. Can we say cholesterol??:eek::D

On another note, last night I booked the Brilliance's TA for mid April next year. It's a 10 night cruise out of San Juan with stops in St. Thomas and St. Maarten and then 7 lovely, wonderful sea days to Lisbon. I'll plan to stay in Lisbon a few nights before coming home.

Meanwhile...Happy Thanksgiving.

Beth

I just found this thread this morning. I am enjoying reading it, so much so that I almost forgot to eat breakfast (which rarely happens). I love cruising, started back when I was 25 years old (over 30 years cruising). My first cruise was a 14 day carribbean, which I did solo as none of my friends could afford to come. Since then I have cruised every 2 or 3 years, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends or husband. I have a 15 day cruise planned for April 2013 from Long beach, CA to Hawaii and back to Vancouver, Canada (where I live). It will be my BF's first cruise. Somehow it seems even more exciting to share it with a newbie!

Noticed you have cats. BF has a cat and we are struggling with arrangement for his care while away. A friend from out of town is going to stay with him for a week. Wondering what others do with their pets. Our family does not live close enough. We are looking at a cat hotel. What are your thoughts on this?

My cats are Lili - age 9 and Angus - age 3. I also have Bengal who is about 6. I adopted him a couple of years ago, and the person I got him from thought he was 4. Lili is a wee gray tabby; Bengal is a big orange tabby and Angus is a mid size long gray haired cat with beautiful white markings.

Carol, I'd forgotten about your cruise on the Allure. I'll be interested in what you think about it.

Several years ago I got pretty good at making pie crusts, but I haven't had any practice in a long time. Now I just buy the frozen crusts if and when I make a pie which is rare.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Beth

I just found this thread this morning. I am enjoying reading it, so much so that I almost forgot to eat breakfast (which rarely happens). I love cruising, started back when I was 25 years old (over 30 years cruising). My first cruise was a 14 day carribbean, which I did solo as none of my friends could afford to come. Since then I have cruised every 2 or 3 years, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends or husband. I have a 15 day cruise planned for April 2013 from Long beach, CA to Hawaii and back to Vancouver, Canada (where I live). It will be my BF's first cruise. Somehow it seems even more exciting to share it with a newbie!

Noticed you have cats. BF has a cat and we are struggling with arrangement for his care while away. A friend from out of town is going to stay with him for a week. Wondering what others do with their pets. Our family does not live close enough. We are looking at a cat hotel. What are your thoughts on this?

I moved in June. Before I moved I had a friend come to my house to feed the cats, etc. They've never been boarded, so I wasn't sure what I would do in my new hometown.

So, I did an Internet search and found a local pet sitting service owned by a young woman just out of college. She has two or three college students who work for her. I hired the service when I was away earlier this month. One of the "sitters" came to my home each day, fed the cats and changed the litter, brought in my mail and paper and played with any of the cats that would let her. All of this for $10 a visit. I couldn't board one cat for that

Beth

Thank you Beth, I will look into that. It does sound like a reasonable option!

On another topic, I have noticed several people listing the cruises they have been on at the bottom of their post.

I am fairly new to this site, and would like to add my list. Could someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks, Gail

I moved in June. Before I moved I had a friend come to my house to feed the cats, etc. They've never been boarded, so I wasn't sure what I would do in my new hometown.

So, I did an Internet search and found a local pet sitting service owned by a young woman just out of college. She has two or three college students who work for her. I hired the service when I was away earlier this month. One of the "sitters" came to my home each day, fed the cats and changed the litter, brought in my mail and paper and played with any of the cats that would let her. All of this for $10 a visit. I couldn't board one cat for that

Beth

Ilovescotland (Beth), well I don't know about you, but I am 69, and MADE it through eating all those pies my grandmother made with "pure lard.":)

So you booked a cruise for next April? I am in the process of booking a cruise through my TA for the end of March on the Caribbean Princess, which we have never been on before. We are to go to Aruba as one of the places. Every time I mention it to someone, the first thing out of their mouth.........that is where that young girl got killed. Yes, I definately remember that too, but we will NOT go into places where we would not think it is safe. They say to go to downtown at night time, but I'm not for sure of that.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We are going to our youngest son this afternoon for Thanksgiving.

I am with you beshears, lard is the way to go for pies. I grew up with this method and still use it today.

You mention Aruba, I have been there a couple of times, and never felt not-safe.

Oh and I think I figured out how to add the cruise list on bottom (well I think I did...we'll see if it posts :) )

To all my new American friends....HAPPY THANKSGIVING

I am still here ! but haven't read any posts on any of my threads - busy with Thanksgiving and today we updated a lot of stuff on my Ipad and computer - just hope you all had a super good Thanksgiving - we went to our nieces who had 16 of us at a beautiful and delicious sit=down dinner - very fancy...good company (family members), good and light conversation, very pleasant day -

busy getting ready for my cruise now - will be back once I read the past postings - just me......... carol

I am still here ! but haven't read any posts on any of my threads - busy with Thanksgiving and today we updated a lot of stuff on my Ipad and computer - just hope you all had a super good Thanksgiving - we went to our nieces who had 16 of us at a beautiful and delicious sit=down dinner - very fancy...good company (family members), good and light conversation, very pleasant day -

busy getting ready for my cruise now - will be back once I read the past postings - just me......... carol

Hi, Carol,

I am sooooo haooy to hear you have Kindle on your iPad now. You are going to LOVE having cookbooks on your iPad.

Hi, Carol,

I am sooooo haooy to hear you have Kindle on your iPad now. You are going to LOVE having cookbooks on your iPad.

Thanks for the heads up - didn't even know about the upgrade til you mentioned getting Kindle on the Ipad - and of course, I couldn't until I got the upgrade downloaded.. worked out really well - have all the books now on both e-things -- however, I cannot seem to make the font bigger on the ipad - unless I make the font bigger in general - I was trying to make it bigger by my fingers - I will most likely buy a new white page kindle tho' -

I loved all 3 of your books - read them all now and so glad I did!!! carol

Thanks for the heads up - didn't even know about the upgrade til you mentioned getting Kindle on the Ipad - and of course, I couldn't until I got the upgrade downloaded.. worked out really well - have all the books now on both e-things -- however, I cannot seem to make the font bigger on the ipad - unless I make the font bigger in general - I was trying to make it bigger by my fingers - I will most likely buy a new white page kindle tho' -

I loved all 3 of your books - read them all now and so glad I did!!! carol

Hi, Carol,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I'm so happy you enjoyed my books :)

I'm also happy you have the Kindle app on your iPad now. It isn't the same as having a regular Kindle, but it's great for certain things...like cookbooks where you want color and size. I have quite a few cookbooks on my iPad now. Yes, I'm quite obsessed about books:)

I definitely recommend the Paperwhite. I love, love, love mine!!!

Hi, Carol,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I'm so happy you enjoyed my books :)

I'm also happy you have the Kindle app on your iPad now. It isn't the same as having a regular Kindle, but it's great for certain things...like cookbooks where you want color and size. I have quite a few cookbooks on my iPad now. Yes, I'm quite obsessed about books:)

I definitely recommend the Paperwhite. I love, love, love mine!!!

Did I miss something? Are you a writer?

Beth

Did I miss something? Are you a writer?

Beth

Hi, Beth,

Yes, I'm a writer. Two of my books are cruise romances. Anyone who knows me understands my passion for cruising. I write under my own name, Lynn Byer. I'm a court reporter by day...but writing and cruising are my true loves :)