Do you buy ncl travel insurance?

vols_159

I booked a cruise today the pcc didnt ask and i didnt decline or accept but see they had travel insurance normally i decline when asked.. But Im thinking about leaving it on.. It was only $89 But for those of you who have bought travel insurance Is NCL a good policy for the price?

I booked a cruise today the pcc didnt ask and i didnt decline or accept but see they had travel insurance normally i decline when asked.. But Im thinking about leaving it on.. It was only $89 But for those of you who have bought travel insurance Is NCL a good policy for the price?

I always buy travel insurance. It's a gamble, but if you lose, you lose big time. It's a cheap investment.

Generally independent travel insurance has better coverage but it is usually based on age and price but the cruise line's is not age based. You have to look at the difference in policy limits to decide. Also, since you only made deposit on your cruise and did not actually pay for the non refundable insurance your pre existing conditions are not waived.

Edited by patseacruiser
Typos

I buy the insurance through NCL. From now on I will buy travel insurance for any traveling I will do. My BIL suffered a massive stroke while on vacation in Mexico and they didn't have travel insurance. It took them almost a month to get home. They had to wait until he was stable enough to fly. If they had travel insurance they could have used an air ambulance to get him home.

Anytime someone mentions travel insurance I tell them better to be safe than sorry.

I always buy it when leaving the country, but from an independent broker, INSUREMYTRIP I bring up the web page, and then call them on the phone. Together, we figure out the best option for my scenario. Tip - closer you book to your deposit date, the better off you are and costs less while covering you longer. Factor in everything from lost luggage to hotels, air, and after the trip too.

Biggest advantage is the cancel for any reason clause - without that, the insurance is not worth it for me. Next, the medical reimbursement (after you file claim with your primary coverage, you can collect the rest from them as a secondary.) Paying $750 for a sea sick shot on one cruise, primary paid 2/3s, they covered the rest.

Missed flights, lost luggage, it only takes one experience to wish you had it. Resellers like INSUREMYTRIP will direct you to policies that suit your needs.

Go to insuremytrip.com, compare policies and buy your own. You can find better coverage at a better price.

Also, consider buying and paying for the policy in full within the pre-existing waiver period. Usually about 14 days from making your deposit, although not all policies have a waiver. You need to pay for your policy in addition to your deposit if you buy through the cruiseline. Otherwise you lose some of the most valuable coverage you can have. Many people don't think about the things that will be counted as a pre-existing condition if you don't have the waiver.

• Thanks 1

We cruise 3-4 times a year all over the world and never bought travel insurance. Loosing the cost of a trip or replacing a suitcase is minor compared to the tens of thousands of dollars we didn't waste. HOWEVER the really big money comes if you need medical evacuation, $100,000 isn't unheard of. That's worth insurance and we get an annual policy for $300 for two of us. It also covers us anywhere in the USA if we're more then 100 miles from home. There are multiple companies that offer this type of insurance, we use medjet. Once DH was robbed of his necklace in Buenos Aries and we submitted a claim on our homeowners insurance who paid the balance over our deductable. So I never take other insurance.

I use my NCL mastercard for the total payment and the trip cancellation/interuption, etc. is covered!;);)

I have the NCL mastercard and never heard of this benefit. How do you find out if you are covered?

I would definitely buy travel insurance as you never know what might happen. The cost is very small, as to what you would get back just in case. We usually buy our travel insurance through Travel Guard and we find them to be excellent and is cheaper (with good coverage) than the cruise line. Give them a call and you will see for yourself.

Marty

I would definitely buy travel insurance as you never know what might happen. The cost is very small, as to what you would get back just in case. We usually buy our travel insurance through Travel Guard and we find them to be excellent and is cheaper (with good coverage) than the cruise line. Give them a call and you will see for yourself.

Marty

Travel Guard X2;)

Insurance...never need it until you got it.

Edited by NJGeorge

We book with NCL and get travel insurance within the first 14 days for preexixting conditions through a TA. We can adjust , change cruises, or cancel. I've had to cancel before and got 100% return quickly - just lost the amount of the insurance. It's worth it. I thought with NCL you only get something like 70% back or a credit for a future cruise.

We booked for 2014 recently on the Breakaway - anything could happen between now and then. I recommend Travel Guard. as recommeded to me by several TA's

In addition out of curiosity, we compared prices. For our 12 day cruise - NCL quoted us around $419. Travel Guard was $403 for the amount we spent and our ages and we have plenty left to add on our flight and hotel at a later date. It is based on age and amount spent and we are not youngsters. If we go up to the next tier when we add on flight and hotel - it won't be that much. The cancel for any reason with Travel Guard added on an additional $150. If we have to cancel it will be for a covered reason. We know we are going somewhere in the next year or so unless something happens and that would be covered..