Alaska Cheet Sheet !

booth22

I can add a couple of things for Victoria (I got engaged there and have been there MANY times!)

If you have time, having High Tea @ the Empress cannot be missed!

Also, the Royal BC Museum has an incredible 1st Peoples floor, again, do not miss! There is a carving hut and totem pole forest as well. Those do not require museum admission.

Finally, if you are hungry, try Pagliacci's for amazing pasta and/or Murchies for a do it yourself tea!

You think my son 4 can sit through high tea at the Empress? can you tell me what the experience is like. Mabe better for adults.

• 1 month later...

Booth

I just found this site and this thread. We're from Phoenix as well and will be sailing on Princess Sapphire southbound May 24 '08. Really looking forward to it. The list is fantastic ... thanks soooo much.

You're right - the temps this summer have been terrible. Long enough, huh! What part of the valley are you in? We're in the PV area. Do you know if we can get these "coupon books" in Whittier?

Thanks again Booth!

LadieSadie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for spending the time to do this for everyone. Might save them a LOT of time! I spent HOURS researching this stuff before our Alaska cruise a few months ago. The only thing the least negative I have to say is that there are a lot of disgustingly touristy things listed first for my favorite U.S. city, but I guess people HAVE to do those things at least once! (Fisherman's Wharf et all.) Personally, I would get myself out to the Marin Headlands if at all possible (pretty much need a car, however) for that fabulous view of the bridge. I'd also go to Alamo Square, and eat dinner at one of many great restaurants in the Marina/Cow Hollow area. There's a lot of great stuff in the northeast part of the city! Oh well, to see all of SF, you'd have to tack on an extra week before you cruised!!!

I agree some things may be outdated, and as in the past, I'd encourage a Moderator to update with any new info anyone wants to add to it. Seems like it is still somewhat helpful even many years later.

GMoney made another pretty comprehensive list in September 2007 that many should find helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=628172

I am working on a fairly large project of combining many of the Frequently Asked Questions on the Alaska board into one thread. It won't be finished until next spring though.

John

• 3 months later...
John, how's the project coming along?

Thanks for asking. Well, I am up to something like 40 pages. I am trying to break it down into small sections - a section with a page for each city with general info, then a section with lodging for each city, a section with FAQ's (like "How to get from Anchorage to Whittier"), and lastly a section just with links, that is already accessible through the link in my signature. I will be traveling a bit through the end of February. I hope to have the project done enough for posting by early April.

John

You know, I'm getting so many questions about Seattle, that I'm thinking about doing the same thing for our city (actually, I already do, in that I have a tourist/visitor blog for the city, but can't post it here because I happen to be a travel agent on the side from my nursing job).

This is helpful information for just about everyone. Great idea.

A small PS. After having seen what has been happening the past few days with posts being removed I wonder what I will do with the end work when it is completed.

I tried to click on your signature, but the link was not working. Can you take a look?

Archived