Practical, Comfy, CUTE walking shoes!

pinkmaija

I'm a fan of FitFlops, and Merrell sandals. A good resource is the Foot Smart catalog and website (footsmart.com) as they carry a lot of comfort lines that can also be cute and stylish. I use it as I have very flat feet, and they also categorize footwear for people with foot issues(and those with none at all).

Everyone's feet are so different. Many of the shoes recommended on this board are very cute, but don't fit everyone. I suggest you try several different brands until you find one that really does fit! My feet are narrow, so Mary Jane's work better for me... the strap keeps shoes from moving around too much. Privo's are among my favorites. I also like these Ecco's: http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/womens/casual/vibration-ii-toggle/2416/detail.aspx I have them in the color called silver, but they're really light gray with darker gray.

Good luck! I love zappos. Overnight shipping, free returns. You can wear them around your house for a few days to see if you like them, if not send back!

I just got a pair of crocs:eek: I know I never would have thought id buy a pair but the are soooo cute, comfortable and more like a sandle. They have a silver(rubber) " o " between black straps across the front of my foot. Great for the beach, cute enuf for dinner. Got them at famous footwear. :D

Just bought a pair of Clark's Privos a few months ago...flat style Mary Jane-like. And there are many privo styles to suit your tastes. Love them so much, they are the 2nd most comfortable shoes I've owned. First being a pair of Merrels slip on sandles I bought a few years ago which I wore out.

Thanks everyone...keep em coming! (PS I am looking specifically for tennis shoes/sneakers, but always on the lookout for comfy shoes.) I also have high arches....so anyone else with that specific problem & a good brand of shoes is more than welcome!!!! :D

I know you're looking for more tennis shoes but if you need "flip flops" (we call them slippers back home so its hard to say/write flip flops!) Rainbow sandals are the best. They are expensive but will last you forever. I had mine for years and only bought a new pair because the dog ate them :( but I can walk Disneyland in them they have a high arch and dont go "dead". My doc recommended them to me when my arches fell (ouch!) years ago and i will never wear other slippers again!

First, for "flip flops", I suggest a good pair of outdoor sandals. Teva, Chaco, Keen - all make good ones. Chaco is my new one that I like. It has the best arch support of the 3 when I had to buy a new pair. I have the "Hipthong" model - a typical "thong" with a little of the trademark Chaco webbing. First sandals that I can actually wear all day long.

For athletic shoes, I'll be different and recommend Salomon. They are pricey, but I love the more rigid soles. They are trail runners, so they are built to be worn on uneven surfaces. I currently have a pair of the XR Crossmax. They are on their last miles, though. I do some trail running (well, jogging) and they have served me well. i'm heading down to my local store this weekend to pick up a new pair of Salomons. I'm torn between the XR Mission and the X-Over.

I have a wide-ish toe box and a high arch and my favorite exercise shoe brands are Merrell and New Balance. I've had good luck with hiking shoes from Lowa, Asolo, and Vasque.

(current Merrell sandals & slides no longer fit me, but the athletic shoes still do)

I have a wide-ish toe box and a high arch and my favorite exercise shoe brands are Merrell and New Balance. I've had good luck with hiking shoes from Lowa, Asolo, and Vasque.

(current Merrell sandals & slides no longer fit me, but the athletic shoes still do)

Hoyaheel - have you tried Salomon shoes? I also have to have a wide toe box. Also, check out Keen shoes - they have a pretty wide box. I have custom orthotics to put in my shoes, so the arch support is provided by me...

For high arch support, also check out shoes that are "neutral", not "control" or "comfort". A good website that lists shoes by support type, as well as giving you good definitions of the type of support, check out roadrunnersports (with the usual dot com). Even if you don't buy there, it gives you some good ideas.

Thanks everyone...keep em coming! (PS I am looking specifically for tennis shoes/sneakers, but always on the lookout for comfy shoes.) I also have high arches....so anyone else with that specific problem & a good brand of shoes is more than welcome!!!! :D

Ortha-heel is supposed to be good for high arches. I just ordered two pairs of sandals from Canadian Home Shopping but you can get them at many places in the US as well. Zappos has them for sure. Once I receive mine and have a chance to check them out I'll give my review! :) (They come in tennis shoes/sneakers too)

Hoyaheel - have you tried Salomon shoes? I also have to have a wide toe box. Also, check out Keen shoes - they have a pretty wide box. I have custom orthotics to put in my shoes, so the arch support is provided by me...

Keen sandals do not work on me. I have some Keen ankle boots that are so-so (not wide enough - I went up half a size based on reviews - so they're a little bigger than I like but I wear them with thick socks:p)

I have a handful of go-to brands that work for my feet and my style. Mostly Softspots for work.

After posting about the Salomons, I went to my local store (when possible, I support my locals before going to chains) and picked up a pair of the Synapse. I love it when shoes feel so good right out of the box! Wore them for my evening outing with my pooch. Not a problem at all. They have a nice, sturdy sole, but very light uppers. And, the nice, bright blue color is fun to have - beats the drab browns/greys of the usual trail runner. They will be getting a workout on some local trail this afternoon!!

http://www.brooksrunning.com/womens-support-shoes/womens-runningshoes-support,default,sc.html

My doctor recommended Brooks Trance running shoes for me for arch support when walking. She also got me some generic orthotics from Powerstep Pro. They are great, as are Asics runners. Brooks has much cuter styles than they used to.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/womens-support-shoes/womens-runningshoes-support,default,sc.html

My doctor recommended Brooks Trance running shoes for me for arch support when walking. She also got me some generic orthotics from Powerstep Pro. They are great, as are Asics runners. Brooks has much cuter styles than they used to.

Those Brooks Trance look a lot like the XR Crossmax - the grey/blue ones. It's hard to pull the trigger on the prices of good quality runners lately. But, it is absolutely worth it in the long run (no pun intended). I'll go hit the adidas or Nike outlet 3 miles away if I'm just interested in a so-so shoe to wear as a non-athletic shoe (I NEVER found the exact shoe I want at the outlet - seem to be always made-for-outlet shoes and the Nike women's mold doesn't work for my foot anymore), but for my true runners, I buy the real deal retail.

My orthotics are a custom-made deal, paid for my my insurance, thanks to my orthopedic surgeon! I have a couple pair of Superfeet green for everyday use.

Everyone's feet are so different.

Everyone's definition of cute is also different. :D

I like Toms and find most gladiator sandals comfortable for walking, but my feet are pretty tough.

My sister has plantar fiscitis, and so when she has to do a lot of walking, she swears by canvas Mickey Mouse crocs that she got from Walt Disney World. They are the cutest crocs I've ever seen.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=54512528

They have similar non-Disney versions on their website. They actually have a lot of cute, non-Croc looking shoes.

I know you're looking for more tennis shoes but if you need "flip flops" (we call them slippers back home so its hard to say/write flip flops!) Rainbow sandals are the best. They are expensive but will last you forever. I had mine for years and only bought a new pair because the dog ate them :( but I can walk Disneyland in them they have a high arch and dont go "dead". My doc recommended them to me when my arches fell (ouch!) years ago and i will never wear other slippers again!

Where can you buy these?

Where can you buy these? Shoe Carnival, DSW, online at the rainbow website, Amazon, etc.

I have seem them also at surf shops if you live in an area that has them, Macys, Dillards, etc. I actually found mine on eBay for cheaper.

Ortha-heel is supposed to be good for high arches. I just ordered two pairs of sandals from Canadian Home Shopping but you can get them at many places in the US as well. Zappos has them for sure. Once I receive mine and have a chance to check them out I'll give my review! :) (They come in tennis shoes/sneakers too)

I love my Ortha-heel sandals and have worn them for almost 18 months. My first pair of thongs with flower on them were a "harder" sole and I think I prefer that to the "softer" pair with butterflies that I bought this year. Both pairs are great support and I can and do wear them all day -- I have Dr. orthodics for most closed shoes. I have also really done well with the black maryjanes for dress shoes.(which are hard because orthdics don't fit flat in flats let alone heels) Best solution I have for shoes that look good with skirts and still comfortable enough to wear all day touring.

I have plantar facitis, bone spurs, and high arches that flex to flat feet. I didn't get a prize in the foot lottery but they get me there if I treat them right. Foot Smart is my go to place for shoes because regular stores rarely have my size and width.

My favorite sneakers are the Merill Siren Sports. Then I decided I'd order the waterproof version with gortex. I didn't like those as much because they were stiff and hot. So I ordered some more regular siren sports. Also Merrill makes my favorite sandal too.

We are lucky enough to have a Merrill store about an hour away, but I've also ordered them from Zappos and maybe Amazon I think.

My favorite sneakers are the Merill Siren Sports. Then I decided I'd order the waterproof version with gortex. I didn't like those as much because they were stiff and hot. So I ordered some more regular siren sports. Also Merrill makes my favorite sandal too.

We are lucky enough to have a Merrill store about an hour away, but I've also ordered them from Zappos and maybe Amazon I think.

I had the exact same experience with the Siren Sports. I got my first pair at the local REI store 3 years ago. Wore them on my trip to Egypt and Jordan. When I went to replace them, I decided to the Gortex version so I could wear them in Winter. Well, just like you, they were definitely stiffer and really didn't break in like the non-Gortex ones. But, I've also found that the toebox in the Merrells seem to be getting shorter. My usual 8.5 seems shorter than in the past and the 9 is too big overall. That's why I've switched to the Salomons. I know manufacturers change molds once in awhile which causes things that used to fit to no longer fit. Bummer all the way around...

Archived