Bermuda trip on RC, need suggestions...

familytrip4us

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. We will be cruising soon to Bermuda on RC from Bayonne, NJ. I am sure we will find things to do on the ship, that part does not concern me. I am super nervous about when we are in port and figuring out things to do. I would love some help and ideas!

More about us...

We are a party of six including grandparents, parents and kids. The kids are 10 and 13 so not too little. 1 adult has a physical disability and is unable to walk long distances. We were thinking of taking an excursion sightseeing and maybe trying to go on a glass bottom boat. We are unsure if we are better off doing these things on our own or as part of the RC official excursion.

Any ideas? TIA!!!

NORMALLY I tell everyone to simply get the bus/ferry pass and do everything on your own but you have someone in your group with limited mobility and I am telling you - the bus and ferry require someone to be able walk some distance when you are dropped off.

If you did do the bus/ferry pass you could still tour places - but make sure the places you tour are close to the bus route. For instance - horseshoe bay does require some walking to get to it HOWEVER there is a van that can pick you up at the top for $2.00 and drive you down the hill to the beach. (and then again - back up for $2.00)

There was a night time Bermuda "triangle tour" that was like a glass bottom boat tour but it was at night - many people on Enchantment were raving about that.

Another option - two cruises ago - I noticed that someone on my roll call actually called ahead and rented a "taxi for the day" for his family. He knew the places he wanted to go and so he reserved a taxi and driver in advance.

Thank you both! We went to the bookstore and purchased a book about Bermuda and are reading it carefully (and quickly, we leave next week).

Our person with disability can walk, but some days are better than other. He would like us to rent scooters, lol. :eek: I am trying to figure out the details of other stuff too, like what type of bag will I be hefting around on this trip. ;)

crusinmama06- Your previous posts about Bermuda have been really helpful, thank you for really putting time and effort into sharing those experiences.

I just got back from this cruise . My extended family went for my parent"s 50th anniversary. There were nine in our group. I have 2 boys that are 10 and 15. Everyone had a great time. My 10 year old did not want to leave the kids club. My Dad is 80 and did have a little trouble walking. On the first day, we took a ferry to Hamilton and then a bus to St. George. My brother in law got off the bus a few stops before us and took all the kids to see the crystal caves. They all really enjoyed this.

The bus ride to St. George was very scenic and beautiful, but once we got there, we felt there wasn't much to do. We looked in a few shops, but they all started to look the same. Once we met up with my brother in law & the kids, we took another bus to Clearwater Beach and swam for awhile. Then, back to the ship.

It was a lot of walking for my Dad.

The second day, my Dad was having a hard time walking even to the shuttle, so we decided to take a taxi to Horseshoe Beach. We were able to get a taxi that was an SUV which fit my whole group for $6.00 pp each way. this was the best thing we did. The taxi dropped us off at the bottom of the hill, so the walking was very minimal. the driver promised to return at 1:30 to pick us up to go back to the ship and he was waiting when we were ready. The cab driver told us that you can book him or other cabs for a tour of the island. If I were to do it all over, this is what I would do. I think it would be best or your situation as well.

Whatever you decide, try not to miss Horseshoe Beach. It was beautiful.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

In terms of renting scooters, are you referring to mobility scooters, or mopeds? If mopeds, one word of advice: DON'T!!!!

I SECOND THIS! Please don't rent scooters! I have never been so fearful for other peoples lives as I have watching the chicken match of scooter verses bus in Bermuda. The roads in Bermuda are winding, curvy, hilly and barely have room for two cars. Now let's add you are driving on the wrong side of the road and you have buses and taxis coming at you! I have no problem driving in New York City but the drivers in Bermuda are CRAZY!

Unless all of you are experienced motorcycle riders - I would not recommend this!

We were able to get a taxi that was an SUV which fit my whole group for $6.00 pp each way. this was the best thing we did. The taxi dropped us off at the bottom of the hill, so the walking was very minimal. the driver promised to return at 1:30 to pick us up to go back to the ship and he was waiting when we were ready. The cab driver told us that you can book him or other cabs for a tour of the island. If I were to do it all over, this is what I would do. I think it would be best or your situation as well.

Whatever you decide, try not to miss Horseshoe Beach. It was beautiful.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Thank you for this tidbit, I think it is the way to go most likely. I assume that regular cash is fine for paying (not travelers checks or anything else).

Were there sights you would not miss having done this with your extended family recently? What about sites that are an absolute must? Also were are the taxis, right at the dock?

ETA- What kind of a bag did you carry with you for sightseeing? I will need to have my very basics (wallet, lipstick, passports [so they can be stamped]) as well as a small first aid pouch, an epipen kit, camera and a large water bottle for me at the very least. I know many places discourage backpacks, not sure if Bermuda is one, but it seems like this would be a great time to have one.

In terms of renting scooters, are you referring to mobility scooters, or mopeds? If mopeds, one word of advice: DON'T!!!! Today 08:51 AM
I SECOND THIS! Please don't rent scooters! I have never been so fearful for other peoples lives as I have watching the chicken match of scooter verses bus in Bermuda. The roads in Bermuda are winding, curvy, hilly and barely have room for two cars. Now let's add you are driving on the wrong side of the road and you have buses and taxis coming at you! I have no problem driving in New York City but the drivers in Bermuda are CRAZY!

Unless all of you are experienced motorcycle riders - I would not recommend this!

We were thinking mopeds. Well it sounds like it is ruled out for 4 of our crew. Dh and I both ride, but those do not sound like ideal circumstances.

We were thinking mopeds. Well it sounds like it is ruled out for 4 of our crew. Dh and I both ride, but those do not sound like ideal circumstances.

Good call, we've been on two trips to Horseshoe Bay by bus and the first year witnessed a terrible moped accident and this past trip was told about a fatality on the Baltimore based RCL ship of a passenger on a moped that happened the day before.

I wanted to add to the post above for Horseshoe bay, in the place where you rent beach umbrellas, there were two beach buggy type chairs with wheels on them that looked like would work well on the sand if walking was an issue :-) We've been on the Explorer for both our trips and it's a very easy ship to get around :-)

Archived