Sailaways.

On European cruises there are several places where you get a good "send off" when leaving port notably St Petersburg, Rotterdam and Antwerp.

Can the same be said when the ship is leaving Caribbean ports maybe with a great Calypso send off? I would love a Caribbean cruise and that would make my day :)

Yep...whenever you're leaving port, folks will gather to wave goodbye.... Haven't seen many ships nowadays that have Calypso bands, or steel-drum.....there may be a band playing, there may not...but it will be festive anyway! To really complete the "feeling", have a fruity drink in hand!

I've cruised to St Petersburg three times and never received a welcome or send off. We were told it was because the port is in an industrial area and very secure. Didn't get anything like that in Rotterdam either. We did get a nice welcome in Edinburgh with a bagpipe band and some dancers.

In the Caribbean, some places that don't get that many ships will have some local musicians that will play music. We had that in Belize, Costa Maya and St. Kitts. But for big ports where there are lots of ships, like St Thomas and St Martin, there hasn't been anything.

Just back from June cruise with calls at St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau and the olny one that had anything when we were returning to the ship was St Thomas but it was a high school band with steel drums in it that were trying to earn tips. Even on the ship, no calypso band at sail aways. Sadly I think those days have long passed in most ports.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I've cruised to St Petersburg three times and never received a welcome or send off. We were told it was because the port is in an industrial area and very secure. Didn't get anything like that in Rotterdam either. We did get a nice welcome in Edinburgh with a bagpipe band and some dancers.

In the Caribbean, some places that don't get that many ships will have some local musicians that will play music. We had that in Belize, Costa Maya and St. Kitts. But for big ports where there are lots of ships, like St Thomas and St Martin, there hasn't been anything.

St Petersburg was 9 years ago now and we had a marvellous band. I think since then the ship docks in a different port area. Rotterdam was the most memorable, a group of men dressed like old sea dogs including clogs singing sea shanties it was wonderful and Antwerp a very enthusiastic brass band.

Archived