Best time to go to Alaska

petlady7

Wildlife "requires" tours, in my opinion. And it depends on the wildlife.

Overall, August is a preference of mine- excellent fly in bear viewing tours out of Ketchikan,m and Denali Park is letting up on the bugs, with Wonder Lake my preferece. :)

Kenai fjords is certainly excellent, and always a "must do" for me, with the varied wildlife. :)

For best weather, the tendency is late May through June. Right now Southcentral Alaska is in our "monsoon season" with plenty of rain in the forecast.

This, of course, is subject to change since weather up here is very unpredictable.

You know, I've come to the conclusion that there is no good answer for this.

Our best visit was April and it took place three weeks before the official cursing season began as part of a world cruise. If you asked me before we got there and based on all of our other Alaska cruises I would have said no way. The reality is weather changes often to begin with, and we now live at a time where weather is even more unpredictable so I would find the month that works best for you and book the cruise.

Keith

Wildlife like in Eagles, Humpback Whales, Bears, Salmon, or what. Depending on your must sees that can vary a bit on best time.

What are the best months to go to Alaska to see the wildlife

Over the years I have been there multiple times of each month of the cruise season. If I have a choice, leaving price and personal schedules aside, I would prefer to go during the period of mid-July thru mid-August. While there are no guarantees, the weather is often the warmest, the salmon are in the rivers, the bears are at the rivers and it is just a very pleasant time has been my experience.

Thanks for all the info , have now booked a princess cruisetour for 19 June 2013 , hope I get to see some whales , moose and bears , not so interested in birds but hubby is a bit of a twitcher

Be certain you are in Denali park 2 days, and you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included in your cruisetour. With your wildlife priority this is essential. If you can go independent, Princess does refund Denali tours, and taking the shuttle bus to at least Eielson ,gets you further. Further means more opportunity for wildlife and scenery. :)

Over the years I have been there multiple times of each month of the cruise season. If I have a choice, leaving price and personal schedules aside, I would prefer to go during the period of mid-July thru mid-August. While there are no guarantees, the weather is often the warmest, the salmon are in the rivers, the bears are at the rivers and it is just a very pleasant time has been my experience.

I agree with Putterdude. We've had pretty decent weather in this time frame, with my trips during the last week of July being the best. Already thinking of booking the same week for next year... :cool:

Thanks budgetqueen , we have the history tour included but have already asked about changing to the tundra wilderness tour but it seems to early to do anything about it yet. We have 2 nights in Denali , 2 in Mt Mckinley and 1 in anchorage:D

Thanks budgetqueen , we have the history tour included but have already asked about changing to the tundra wilderness tour but it seems to early to do anything about it yet. We have 2 nights in Denali , 2 in Mt Mckinley and 1 in anchorage:D

A suggestion- also consider the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. With your refund from Princess- there would be NO additional cost getting to mile 66. :) With 2 days, you have the ideal option- as, you would book the shuttle within the Princess Lodge shuttle bus schedule, making this a simple transaction for you. You would be booking this all yourself, and just canceling and getting a refund of the Natural History tour.

• 4 months later...
I agree with Putterdude. We've had pretty decent weather in this time frame, with my trips during the last week of July being the best. Already thinking of booking the same week for next year... :cool:

I am concerned about the bus and train rides. Any input will be of help:)

Archived