Just Back Star 7/15-22

doberlady

Hi

This was our 4th cruise and 2nd NCL. We sailed in the DOS 12500

We had bumpy seas and I don't think I can sail in such a forward cabin again. We had to leave several times just to go sit somewhere else.

The suite was amazing. I mean amazing!!!!! Will post pics tomorrow.

Embarkation was a breeze and the priority lounge was awesome to wait in. So peaceful and meanwhile it was like LGA out in the terminal. Met Patrick while waiting, was issued our cards and took care of all of our dining ressies. So glad I made a list in advance.

Every single crew member we came into contact with was smiling, friendly and bending over backwards to help and take care of you. Met so many nice people.

Saw a few nasty fights over chairs on the deck above the pool. Never saw an open lounger ever on the pool deck. Even yesterday in the terrible weather there was a towel holding every single lounger at the CLOSED pool. Made me laugh. The deck above the pool was much nicer to sit

We went to the back kids pool the first day and it was awesome. Until a kid vomited all over and it slopped in the kids pool and my daughter stepped in it. She was hysterical and had to be bathed ASAP and she would never step foot in the pool again. The puker kid's parent never came forward and no one did anything so on my way to the room I stopped a crew in a white uniform and told him so apparently they cleaned the pool and area

We liked the food sooooooooooooooo much better then the Jewel. Ate in the buffet once for Brafast and twice for lunch. Ate in Cagneys all other Bfast and lunch. Left a tip for each meal there. They work hard and it shows. They are amazing, remembering our names and our likes and treating our kids so well

Continued....

While we loved our suite I just can't stay that forward again. The movement was unreal. At times we had to leave the room to find somewhere else to sit.

Also...........

Our Butler. While he was very nice did not go out of his way for us ever. Once we realized the service my parents were getting in a SF down the hall by a different butler my husband called Patrick. He was told all Butlers give a standard of care and some go above and beyond so if we were getting the standard of care we were getting what we were supposed to be receiving. That really rubbed me the wrong way. He never showed us how to use the coffee machine after asking 2 times. Therefore we asked for coffee room service each morning at 7am sharp. 2 days it never came at all. Asked for iced tea in room, never got it. Had to ask for more water several times. Was told we can't request certain snacks and they have a schedule of days of what snacks. So we ordered room service a lot. My 2 teens used room service a lot. After speaking with Patrick on day 2 we received a platter of sandwiches from the Butler. He avoided us as much as possible and I utilized him for exactly what I paid for. Sounds terrible in writing but my parents butler was thoughtful and amazing. Making sure to bring bowls of gummy bears and cookies etc knowing my kids would be visiting their room. We never got cookies without asking. We never had our fruit bowl re-filled after asking 2 times

I will post pictures tomorrow.

I did buy a cruise reward. Will be looking for another suite not all the way forward

I am sorry to hear about your lackluster experiences witH both your butler and Patrick. We are in a two-bedroom suite on the Star at the end of August.

I had been looking forward to Monica as concierge because so many people raved about her. It is interesting to read how a concierge can impact the whole suite experience.

We were torn on to talk to Patrick about it in the first place. But when reading these boards people are always saying how about voicing your concerns and allowing them the chance to make it better. So we did.

I did overhear Patrick at breakfast telling a couple that his wife is expecting a baby and his contract is up and he will be back at home for 2 months before picking back up a contract. He also said he was a Butler for 8 years. His assistant was a doll.

We had two great experiences with Patrick and two great butlers. I am sorry he was not able to "upgrade" your butler! It's a shame that they can't all be of the "over and above" school of thought.

The sad thing is, if only they would try it, they would find that they would enjoy their jobs so much more!

Glad you like the Star. I wasn't thrilled with our butler in our aft PH and also not with the concierge who we never saw after the first day. We didn't plan on using the butler for much and he was also tipped accordingly when he couldn't remember that we didn't want any fish for our late afternoon snacks which really left him a whole lot of other options like crackers and cheese, cookies, brownies, chocolates, fruit etc.. Loved the suite though.

Hi

This was our 4th cruise and 2nd NCL. We sailed in the DOS 12500

We had bumpy seas and I don't think I can sail in such a forward cabin again. We had to leave several times just to go sit somewhere else.

The suite was amazing. I mean amazing!!!!! Will post pics tomorrow.

Embarkation was a breeze and the priority lounge was awesome to wait in. So peaceful and meanwhile it was like LGA out in the terminal. Met Patrick while waiting, was issued our cards and took care of all of our dining ressies. So glad I made a list in advance.

Every single crew member we came into contact with was smiling, friendly and bending over backwards to help and take care of you. Met so many nice people.

Saw a few nasty fights over chairs on the deck above the pool. Never saw an open lounger ever on the pool deck. Even yesterday in the terrible weather there was a towel holding every single lounger at the CLOSED pool. Made me laugh. The deck above the pool was much nicer to sit

We went to the back kids pool the first day and it was awesome. Until a kid vomited all over and it slopped in the kids pool and my daughter stepped in it. She was hysterical and had to be bathed ASAP and she would never step foot in the pool again. The puker kid's parent never came forward and no one did anything so on my way to the room I stopped a crew in a white uniform and told him so apparently they cleaned the pool and area

We liked the food sooooooooooooooo much better then the Jewel. Ate in the buffet once for Brafast and twice for lunch. Ate in Cagneys all other Bfast and lunch. Left a tip for each meal there. They work hard and it shows. They are amazing, remembering our names and our likes and treating our kids so well

thanks for your quick review. Some parents can be idiots and then they wonder why their kids turn out to be idiots? Or wait; they probably don't realize thier kids are anything but the little angels they produced.

I know what you mean about a forward cabin. We don't mind alt cabins but forward can be disasterous even with smooth seas.

Welcome back.

Nita

my parents were in an SJ and I loved them. Next time I would like to stay in one. They are setup great for sitting around and visiting with the open room.

My parents Butler was Masur (sp). He was awesome!

We had Mansur as our butler in May on the Star. He was fantastic. I asked him if he could call down to the Blue Lagoon to make sure that was where I left my soda cup before I ran back down to get it and he actually handed me the cup before I would have been able to find their phone number! We had Monica as our concierge and as most know, she is also fantastic.:)Everyone on our cruise was outstanding from the Captain on down!

Did I mention how much I adore Bermuda. This was our first trip there. Was wonderful. We bought 2 day passes and the transportation was so smooth, safe and easy!

We spent the day at Horseshoe and had an amazing time. I had on expensive perscription sunglasses and turned my back and got whacked in the head with a large wave. When I got back up to the top of the water my glasses were not on my face. So now I am blind looking for my glasses.

Me, my son and my daugther looked around for about 15m and really what are the odds of finding glasses in the ocean with waves. All of a sudden I STEPPED ON THEM, I kept my foot on them and my daughter went under to get them. They were in perfect shape. I could not believe it!!

On the way back from the beach we had a late lunch at Bonefish. Boy that was expensive for the 7 of us, especially when we could have walked on the ship steps away and eat for free. it was fun though and I had a wonderful frozen cocktail and the fish and chips were good.

The 2nd day I took the 2 older kids on the catamaran swim and snorkel, OMG it was the BEST time!!! Was 3 hours and we loved it!! Unlimited rum swizzles. We then took the ferry to Hamilton and had a good time and wondered around.

3rd day we went to Snorkle Beach as we wanted to stay close. Didn't really like it at all (compared to Horseshoe). I had to wear my flip flops in the water.

Ate at Teppenyaki, Ginza and Cagney's. Ate in both diningrooms, the buffet and had many room service deliveries. Also a few beer buckets :)

I can't say again how great all crew members were. Always smiling and saying hello.

Did I mention how much I adore Bermuda. This was our first trip there. Was wonderful. We bought 2 day passes and the transportation was so smooth, safe and easy!

We spent the day at Horseshoe and had an amazing time. I had on expensive perscription sunglasses and turned my back and got whacked in the head with a large wave. When I got back up to the top of the water my glasses were not on my face. So now I am blind looking for my glasses.

Me, my son and my daugther looked around for about 15m and really what are the odds of finding glasses in the ocean with waves. All of a sudden I STEPPED ON THEM, I kept my foot on them and my daughter went under to get them. They were in perfect shape. I could not believe it!!

On the way back from the beach we had a late lunch at Bonefish. Boy that was expensive for the 7 of us, especially when we could have walked on the ship steps away and eat for free. it was fun though and I had a wonderful frozen cocktail and the fish and chips were good.

The 2nd day I took the 2 older kids on the catamaran swim and snorkel, OMG it was the BEST time!!! Was 3 hours and we loved it!! Unlimited rum swizzles. We then took the ferry to Hamilton and had a good time and wondered around.

3rd day we went to Snorkle Beach as we wanted to stay close. Didn't really like it at all (compared to Horseshoe). I had to wear my flip flops in the water.

Ate at Teppenyaki, Ginza and Cagney's. Ate in both diningrooms, the buffet and had many room service deliveries. Also a few beer buckets :)

I can't say again how great all crew members were. Always smiling and saying hello.

Had the same experience at Horseshoe Bay last week. Actually we kept walking to the left and went through the rocks to find a more secluded area. My son and husband were in the waves and a big one was coming. Told them to look out. Well, I happened to be standing right where it broke. The wave made me flip over 3-4 times and I hit my head on one of those rocks. Also hurt my left thigh. Sunglasses were gone and part of my swimsuit came down. I was dazed for a good hour plus. Husband did find my sunglasses a few minutes later, right under his feet.

I am always asking this question: Did anyone staff member stand out above the rest?

yes. Elizabeth in Gatsbys and Kathryn in Cagneys

they were both top notch and made our week special

Also, a tall, thin african american pool drink guy was so great. I tried to sit in his area whenever possible. he was fun and made sure I was taken care of etc

Priority waiting area. We totally missed embark. photos as they were all the way down the hall and we never saw it being whisked into the priority lounge

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-1.jpg

Door to suite 12500

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-2.jpg

Welcome letter

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-3.jpg

Bathtub

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-4.jpg

We had two great experiences with Patrick and two great butlers. I am sorry he was not able to "upgrade" your butler! It's a shame that they can't all be of the "over and above" school of thought.

The sad thing is, if only they would try it, they would find that they would enjoy their jobs so much more!

All of our butlers have been simply amazing !!!!

more pics

aft kids pool

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-8.jpg

another view of the DOS

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-9.jpg

Reserved seating for shows (seats were not good)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-11.jpg

Snacks butler brought after talk with Patrick

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-13.jpg

My daughter had MANY shrimp cocktails at Cagneys

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-15.jpg

Amazing excursion

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-14.jpg

this is where the excursion takes you

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-16.jpg

very rough seas last sea day-barf bags at all elevators

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-17.jpg

my poor seasick daughter

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/doberlady/photo-18.jpg

Wow ! you were lucky. Those rocks are SHARP. Glad your okay.

Had the same experience at Horseshoe Bay last week. Actually we kept walking to the left and went through the rocks to find a more secluded area. My son and husband were in the waves and a big one was coming. Told them to look out. Well, I happened to be standing right where it broke. The wave made me flip over 3-4 times and I hit my head on one of those rocks. Also hurt my left thigh. Sunglasses were gone and part of my swimsuit came down. I was dazed for a good hour plus. Husband did find my sunglasses a few minutes later, right under his feet.

Archived