If You Had $4000

kingsgirl

I'm in the minority. I'll spend more than that on my upcoming cruise, in order to have a nice large suite. I'm in a position where money is not the limiting factor in my leisure endeavors, time is! I need to plan carefully for my time off because work is so busy. So, when I secure my time off, I go a little crazy!

In the same boat here. I am not loaded by any means but money is not the number one issue. What I really want is to try some other cruise lines other than the big three. But their better ports are all offered through 14 day cruises. I don't have that kind of time.

I would probably do a transatlantic, an Alaska, and a Canada/New England.....or maybe Hawaii roundtrip from west coast.

Transatlantic is on my list. Only if I could get the time off.

There are round trip Hawaii cruises? Hmm...

Yes, but not on RCI. Princess has several ships sailing from LA and San Francisco, and Celebrity is sailing from San Diego. I don't think HAL is doing that route.

Is that $4000 per person or for two? If it's for 2, I'd probably book one nice cruise in a JS for as long as possible. If it's pp, I'd book 2 nice cruises in JS for as long as possible. First choice would be something in Italy with lots of overnights (and likely not on RCI, since they don't do many overnights). Second choice would be Down Under. Third choice maybe something like China.

well, I have already done a few exotics where I have spent this much and more, Panama Canal, Antarctica, Galapagos Islands.

I think my next big cruise that costs that much will probably be one in the South Pacific.

any exotic cruise/vacation will easily cost that much or more these days.

If you had $4000 pp to spend on a cruise (no flights included) how would you spend it?

A B2B? Several cruises within a year? Fancy room? Inside room for even more cruises?

I would invite certain family members to come with us; my treat.

I would definitely do a balcony & more days vs a suite & less days. We have been to Europe over half a dozen times but will be doing our first TA in the spring - I am very excited for 11 nights on the ship & only 1 port! We will have lots of time to explore all of the Epic's nooks & crannies! We are then following this with about 4 weeks in Europe with a rail pass and plan to hit about 8 cities in 8 different countries.

If you had $4000 pp to spend on a cruise (no flights included) how would you spend it?

A B2B? Several cruises within a year? Fancy room? Inside room for even more cruises?

Norwegian Fyords, Greek Isles, or Eastern Mediterranean cruise(s) in a balcony cabin. Either a B2B or one that is between 7 and 14 days. Since those cruises are on the more expensive side, adding another one would most likely be more than $8000.

The extra money would be spent in a couple ways:

• More expensive excursions
  • More onboard expenses

There are a few luxury cruise line itineraries that fit that budget (without air) -- even a couple with air. I would go anywhere on Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn or Seadream Yacht Club. Once onboard you would not need additional money for tips, alcohol, specialty restaurants, etc. And, many lux ships are all balcony!

$4000 pp is not really that much money. When you consider cruise fare and expenses, even not including air.

We have done a number of cruises in Europe that totalled with air and all expenses - some where between $10,000-$13,000, that with at least some pre and/or post cruise time in a European city. We did not spend $4000 pp on the cruise. The most we paid was $3500 for a 12 day cruise, years ago - when ships were smaller and more expensive, we had a limited view cabin for that price. Cruised from Venice to London, stayed in Paris for a few days afterward and Milan prior to the cruise.

We are retired now. Still do about 2 cruises a year. Sometimes we do TA's, or a California coastal cruise to cut costs.

Just did a back to back in the Carribean in the spring (mini suite cabins) -- cruise costs about $3000 each. Need to add air and espenses - so like I said, $4000 pp is not a lot.

I usually travel as a single but with a theme group that takes over roughly half the ship, every year its roughly $2000 just for me in an inside cabin and thats not including air or hotel pre/post.

Could we bump up the $4000 to maybe 10K-12k then maybe I'd do 6-7 more cruises a year. 4k just isn't enough

I would hurriedly grab folks to go on Holland America's Fourteen Day cruise of Alaska because this season is "it" and we'd have to get it done NOW.

We LOVED this cruise............and while on this cruise I'd make sure folks got helicopter rides for glacier visits and also got to Dog Sled camps.

Please, please, HAL............re-think that decision.:(

Archived