Calling all PG Lovers

Emdee

Seems like a good bunch of us are giving it a go!:D

I just asked my TA to make sure we use PG air. In Oct I could not figure how to get it cheaper, ATN or Air France is pretty much it from LAX and with the cost of air, transfers and day rooms, couldn't do it on our own as cheaply. We will use miles to LA, and maybe stay a night on points in LA Sun night.

We will likely take Monday and Tuesday in FP, thinking Papeete again, just to save the additional travel time to Moorea and back for the benefit of only a full day. What we may need to do is leave the night before debarkation. Hate to do it, but even with the double red eye, can't get back east till Monday AM if we debark Sat AM.

Anyway, lots of time to figure it all out, and in the meantime maybe one of you will talk me into staying in Moorea for Sun- Wed.;)

Cruise dreamer, did you TA say which cabins were selling, seems most are taking Es or Fs. Some of you have so many cruises, maybe there is a good chance to get upgraded!

Super Bowl, you ask?...well on our rare "off" years;), we New Englanders like to watch the ads! ;)

Why do people want this? It's really not that interesting, or not as I remember.

Wendy. It's different! I have a friend who has filmed documentaries throughout FP and Tetiaora is spectactular. I actually will consider staying pre or post a day at the new hotel depending on cost and how I can get there.

Why do people want this? It's really not that interesting, or not as I remember.

Wendy. It's different! I have a friend who has filmed documentaries throughout FP and Tetiaora is spectactular. I actually will consider staying pre or post a day at the new hotel depending on cost and how I can get there.

Well staying there I can understand. And I know that the "drive by" would be a bit different from when I did it almost 13 years ago when there were only a few huts to stay in.

I guess I just can't see from the itinerary when we would do such a thing, given the island's position w.r.t. Tahiti and Moorea. It seems quite out of the way of the ship's course on our trip. I thought nobody wanted a seaday.

My husband and I are "in" for this cruise. We plan to reserve early this week. It's been 4 years since we were on the PG, when it was still Regent. It will be so much fun planning this trip with all of you.

No interest in the Super Bowl this year except for commercials and Beyonce. Our Pat's not playing :-( ! Linda

Only possible way to see Tetiaroa on this cruise will be after we leave Moorea the PG runs a north course before turning and taking a heading of 135 degrees to the south east back to Tahiti.

If the Captain was to take a heading of 20 degrees once out of Moorea we would get to Tetiaroa in 2 hours. An hour to circle and then 2 hours back to Tahiti.

We would need to leave Moorea no later than 4:00 pm to get to see Tetiaroa in sun light.

If we did this we would dock at around 9:15 pm in Tahiti which would cut it real close for people who might be heading to the airport to catch the flight out that night.

My husband and I are "in" for this cruise. We plan to reserve early this week. It's been 4 years since we were on the PG, when it was still Regent. It will be so much fun planning this trip with all of you.

No interest in the Super Bowl this year except for commercials and Beyonce. Our Pat's not playing :-( ! Linda

That makes two of us from MA:D...look forward to meeting you Linda!

Also makes two of us who can't decide who should lose this Super bowl;)

I'm also glad we have no sea day. We had bad weather in Moorea and they had stopped tendering mid morning, I'm itchy, I got a little bored:rolleyes:

Yes that was one of my ideas, so was 2 days on Motu Mahana & Maupiti.

Everyone loves Motu Mahana so I though 2 days, one at the beginning and one at the end would be nice.

The idea was to maximize the islands with having no sea days.

Originally they were thinking the cooks and adding another island in the southern cooks but as we all know getting off at the Cook Islands is't alway a given plus you have 2 sea days.

Maupiti has nver had a cruise ship go to it, the PG will be the first. As it is unspoiled and the locals haven't gotten tired of tourist it was a natural. No 5 star resorts here but it is like Bora Bora 40 years ago.

Hopefully I'll find a way to go or should I say hopefully there will be room by the time I have the extra money ............

Thanks Emdee I will also emailing away to the powers that be. I originally thought I would not do this cruise as I am going September this year and can usually only go every other year but

F.... It. We only live once. I feel I have already been on a repeaters cruise as last years Brisbane to Papeete run had 75% repeaters on it!

This is the only ship I have been on that I kept in touch with people after the cruise. It really is a special ship that caters to special people. I am putting my deposit down Monday as I got the cabin I wanted and truly hope I can go on this cruise.

Now does anyone care actually care who wins the Super Bowl?!

Hey Twin,

Glad to hear you guys are in. You're absolutely right about it being a special ship. Its really strange how the Paul Gauguin and French Polynesia keeps calling us back. Looking forward to sailing with all the cruisers we have met on previous trips and meeting lots of new ones. We are now booked and will start the countdown. I like your idea of a possible pre /post stay on Tetiaroa. Will have to check that out for sure. Actually it would be awesome if PG Cruises offered us a stay at the "Brando". Hopefully it will be finished by then. We'll have to wait and see. Like you, I'm very curious about it too.

Well, I've got an "E" reserved on this cruise. I can't recall ever seeing Tetiaroa from the PG, so I have no idea what is or is not there. But let me chime in and vote for "no sea day" -- unless it is to see something really special.

Wow, maybe we'll finally meet! So glad you're doing this cruise!

P.S. we had 3 or 4 seadays on our 14-day Marquesas trip and they were wonderful--I have nothing intrinsically against a seaday.

If you want to explore going to Maupiti, I would spend my time over at tahiti-explorer.com. I'm shooting for Moorea this time. On our first trip we stayed at the Pearl on Manihi and that was unbelievable. But pre-cruise packages at the Pearls don't exist thru PG any more, and are prohibitively expensive standalone I think.

The opening of the hotel seems to keep getting delayed. Should be up and running by this trip. I am not sure though info would go if the only way to get there will be on a prop plane.

Hopefully there will be a ferry. Hopefully it will become part of the Intercontinental chain.

Points points points

Brenda it will be awesome to be with you and Scott again. Will talk to you soon.

Wendy:

Yes, I too hope we will get to meet in this cruise. I am not always opposed to sea days either. But in FP "the beaches are calling" if you know what I mean. In fact, now that circumstances allow us to begin cruising again after a five year absence, we are considering taking a crossing sometime in the future where (we know) there will be mostly sea days. We wouldn't cancel this cruise, even if there were a sea day, under the "try it, you might like it" theory. My vote just goes along with your idea that there shouldn't be a sea day in FP unless there is really something "cool" to see by having one.

I am Chuck...

We did a sail-by last summer ( 2012 ) of the 10 day cruise... and it was beautiful...did a circle of the Island. The ship also sold one day shore excur to the island, at the end of the cruise.

Mary and I are still working towards trying to do this thing with you all, but as I said before, Mary is in the "school system", and may be tough to get off at the time. And since Miriam turned us on to the "Fakarava Blue Lagoon", I can not forget that trip to it, and it is calling me back.

Chuck and Mary

Tetiaroa is gorgeous from all pics I have seen. A sort of deserted island flavour. I fully intend taking a catamaran excursion prior to the Repeaters cruise - probably from Tahiti.

I have to warn all about Maupiti. Capt Z has put it on the schedule but he warned that it would depend on the currents. Its a difficult island to get to according to him and if safety is an issue at the time he will cancel and carry on to BB which is 2 hours away.

Twin,hotel opening is currently schedule for mid 2013 but the whole project has been fraught with setbacks. On the TM Richard Bailey told us that yes that its taken well over scheduled time to complete but he wants to do it'right'.

Finally, Tiki, while Maupiti and Tikehau were your ideas having the 2 days in MM was mine and in fact pre dates all emails on Cruise critic and formed part of my earliest suggestion to PG cruises post my 2010 cruise. You did however suggest the itinerary and island placement.

I too am very excited to meet Dolebludger as he was the person who first gave me the polynesian flu even before I was on the PG. He was very active on this board and then when he went quiet I think he passed the torch to me....

Archived