Veendam - sad news regarding passenger

Salacia

"An elderly woman died on a cruise from New York to Bermuda, with her body removed from the ship in Hamilton yesterday morning.

Relatives of the passenger, a US citizen, accompanied her ashore from the Veendam cruise ship.

According to a spokesman for the Holland America Line: “A 77-year-old woman died from natural causes. Through its care team, Holland America Line is assisting family members through this difficult time. Our thoughts are with the family.”At the same time a member of the ship’s crew was taken to hospital for treatment." - copied from http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120725/NEWS/707259928

Deepest sympathy to the family and loved ones of the deceased passenger.

Best wishes to the crew member for a speedy recovery.

-S.

How sad. My prayers will go out for her and her family.

Also the crew member.

It's a horrible situation. My teenage niece had a tragic accident and was paralyzed while on vacation in Hawaii. Life and death goes on wherever we are. So sad for them.

"An elderly woman died on a cruise from New York to Bermuda, with her body removed from the ship in Hamilton yesterday morning.

Relatives of the passenger, a US citizen, accompanied her ashore from the Veendam cruise ship.

According to a spokesman for the Holland America Line: “A 77-year-old woman died from natural causes. Through its care team, Holland America Line is assisting family members through this difficult time. Our thoughts are with the family.”At the same time a member of the ship’s crew was taken to hospital for treatment." - copied from http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120725/NEWS/707259928

Deepest sympathy to the family and loved ones of the deceased passenger.

Best wishes to the crew member for a speedy recovery.

-S.

Thanks for posting that, Salacia. My heart goes out to her family.

Very sad but not unusual for a guest to pass while on a cruise. It is not a rare event. But, certainly, condolences to her family and friends.

Get well wishes to the crew person.... hoping for a good recovery.

Sympathy to the loved ones of the passenger. Best wishes to the crew member for a speedy recovery.

Having said that...if I have to go, when I go, hopefully a long time from now, I would not mind at all if I am in the middle of a wonderful cruise somewhere. What a plus to have my family enjoying it with me. And yes, I make sure that we have travel insurance, just in case something unexpected happens. Transitioning from a HAL vacation to the best vacation of all. Perfect.

Having said that...if I have to go, when I go, hopefully a long time from now, I would not mind at all if I am in the middle of a wonderful cruise somewhere. What a plus to have my family enjoying it with me. And yes, I make sure that we have travel insurance, just in case something unexpected happens. Transitioning from a HAL vacation to the best vacation of all. Perfect.

My thoughts exactly. But I do know how terrible it is for the family left behind, and I would not wish that on anyone.

Certainly said but not unusual. It happened several times on our Panama cruise, with the first hearse pulling up at Curacao. The HM told us it's not unusual to lose several elderly passengers on the full transit - heat, humidity and finally checking it off the bucket list. His words, not mine.

My thoughts exactly. But I do know how terrible it is for the family left behind, and I would not wish that on anyone.

We too extend our sympathies to the survivors. My hat is off to the family who shared her last days doing what she loved.

Very sad but not unusual for a guest to pass while on a cruise. It is not a rare event. But, certainly, condolences to her family and friends.

Get well wishes to the crew person.... hoping for a good recovery.

very true. 6 died on my last transatlantic. what a way to go, though. i should be so lucky.

That is a bit of an eye opener!! Puts a perspective on all the people who complain about the little things.

Are HAL passengers particularly old on the transatlantic routes? Possibly yes due to the low cost per day and one-way air travel?

igraf

very true. 6 died on my last transatlantic. what a way to go, though. i should be so lucky.

The Lord have mercy on the soul of the poor woman. May she rest in peace! We willl all die and yet this woman died doing what she wanted to do. She died on a cruise.

I wish there was a "like" button I could press in response to your post!

Tha's how my mother wanted to go; she missed it by three weeks. I feel her spirit with me strongly on every cruise, so I know she's enjoying my trips as she is enjoying her eternal "cruise," waiting for me to show up.

Tha's how my mother wanted to go; she missed it by three weeks. I feel her spirit with me strongly on every cruise, so I know she's enjoying my trips as she is enjoying her eternal "cruise," waiting for me to show up.

A very interesting comment. My Mother is the person responsible for my love of travel and she really enjoyed cruising. I have a similar feeling as yours when I cruise that she is with me as well.

Archived