A question for recent PH dwellers....

LaCroisiereS'amuse

Can any recent PH occupants answer a quick question for me??

I've just received the the new edition of "Your World" (UK version with £ pricing & on page 42 in the "Butler Services" panel it states that the "order in" facility from the speciality restaurants is only available to Owners/Vista/Oceania Suites, yet in the Cruise Vacation Guide (blue folder with shore excursions etc), which I received 3 days ago it clearly states that I can "order in" from Polo & Toscana as part of Butler service. This is a facility we enjoyed on Marina last September in a PH & fully intended to do the same for a couple of nights on our forthcoming Regatta trip.

I hope this is a misprint & not a downgrade :eek: ......can anyone clarify??:)

We just got back from a Baltic cruise on Marina. We were in a PH suite and we did order in dinner from Jacques served course by course in our suite by our butler. It was a little slow but that was perfectly fine. We enjoyed the evening very much.

Steve

I'm showing my ignorance here but can someone tell me what penthouse butler actually does? I know they serve you food etc when in room dining , but for example does he/ she wash and press your clothes as part of their duties? Not likely I will ever have butler but just wondered.

We've had butler service on a number of different lines but few of them stand-out in memory. They bring you canapes and arrange bookings etc., but that's about it so far as we are concerned. Maybe others use them to serve cocktails and snacks to guests visiting their cabins, polish shoes etc.

I have this mental image of sitting at the desk in my PH, picking-up the phone and calling the butler, and when he arrives asking if he would kindly bring my pen from the bedside table. I suspect it's the sort of thing my great great great paternal gandmother might have done. But then her surname was Noble.

We've had butler service on a number of different lines but few of them stand-out in memory. They bring you canapes and arrange bookings etc., but that's about it so far as we are concerned. Maybe others use them to serve cocktails and snacks to guests visiting their cabins, polish shoes etc.

I have this mental image of sitting at the desk in my PH, picking-up the phone and calling the butler, and when he arrives asking if he would kindly bring my pen from the bedside table. I suspect it's the sort of thing my great great great paternal gandmother might have done. But then her surname was Noble.

The poor guy was so desperate to do anything for us on Riviera's maiden voyage, I think he might have dropped everything to bring me my pen. He probablu would have given me his. He would stop us in the passageway and beg us for something to do!

Problem is, canapes are too close to dinner, and we work hard to avoid putting on weight. Plus, we are "do it yourselfers" and rarely think of the butler. When Jim would spot me making my own dinner reservation in the lobby area, he would remonstrate with me, "Use your butler!" But, we enjoy doing things ourselves.

That just gives the butler more time to do things for the other guests under his wing (I think the typical quota for a butler is around 10 suites), some of whom are very good at utlilizing them. We like a penthouse occasionally with or without a butler.

I agree about the canapes, it's just too much. Some teeny-tiny hors d'oeuvres like you get in the lounges might be nice. But come to think of it, what kinds of canapes do they offer? The ones I've had on Regent weren't all that interesting--jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce, crap legs, middle-eastern platter, that sort of thing.

I agree about the canapes, it's just too much. Some teeny-tiny hors d'oeuvres like you get in the lounges might be nice. But come to think of it, what kinds of canapes do they offer? The ones I've had on Regent weren't all that interesting--jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce, crap legs, middle-eastern platter, that sort of thing.

You didn't like the "crap legs"? :D

There is a specific menu for Canapés (another duty for one's Butler) , which outlines ten selections, and a number of sub selections.

RetreatA20120621sg.jpg113153.jpg

Highlights for us were the Goat Cheese with Tomato Concassé, and the AMAZING chilled fruit Minestrone with hibiscus infusion.

Some are served cold, some hot, and they range from savory to sweet.

I agree about the canapes being too close to dinner. Every day our poor butler on Marina practically begged us to have some but knowing me, I'd have finished the entire plate and then had no appetite for dinner.

I can only agree that ones butler will do just about anything one needs. Like Don, we do our own reservations, pass on the canapes, etc; however we get the PH as the room is larger and mom spends a great deal of time in the cabin so she has more space to roam around. We do ask the butler for fresh ice at 3:00pm daily for cocktails. It's all good. Looking forward to Aug. 30 in Istanbul.:D

Re butler service: in our PH on another luxe line, he was invaluable. I discovered a cuff button on one of my suits was missing. He had it replaced with an identical button in a matter of hours. The airline had badly damaged a small bag. He whisked it away, and a day later it reappeared-- sewn together and as good as new.

He even helped out when DW had a crisis with an earring!

This in addition to the canapés and brekkers every day and mixing drinks every night and his great good humor and tales of Rumania. An absolute gem. We were so spoiled.

Mixing drinks every night? Didn't know they did that. He could have put some ice in my Scotch.

I'm with you except I never thought of asking the butler to put ice in my bourbon! (Being a USA-er, I need ice in my drinks ... but nothing else!)

Mura

Archived