Kunas or no Kunas?

It is my understanding that you need Kunas for public transportation and entrance to museums and other sites.

Croatian Kuna is the legal currency of the country. Some private owners will accept Euros, but that is going to be hit or miss. You will obtain the very best exchange rate by using any of our ATM machines, today it was 6.15 to $1.00.

Having just visited Croatia recently our experience was that while you can pay with Euros they will jip you on the exchange to Kuna.

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean. So If I purchase anything with Euros the change will be in Kunas?

Croatian Kuna is the legal currency of the country. Some private owners will accept Euros, but that is going to be hit or miss. You will obtain the very best exchange rate by using any of our ATM machines, today it was 6.15 to $1.00.

Thankyou for the information. Much appreciated.

Is it possible to pay everywhere you go with a credit card?

The only historical sites in Dubrovnik which accept credit cards are the city wall and the cable car. You may find it difficult to use a credit card for some small purchases, a gelato or bottle of water. As I have said prior, it is hit or miss for Euros, the same is also true for credit cards in Croatia.

I was chatting today with a work colleague who visited Dubrovnik 2 years ago and she said it wasn't necessary to purchase Kunas as everywhere accepts Euros. I'm not convinced. Advice please.

That is like saying that you don't need to get dollars when you visit the US, that Euros will be OK. Unless you are using a CC you need to get Kunas. Best place is the Bankomatic which are located all over.

Like in every touristy place almost anywhere in the world, they will take Euros, but the more official places such as public transportation or museums will only take the local currency. If you want to buy some rolls from the bakery instead of spending money on a sit-down meal, get the local currency. Paying in other currencies anywhere in the world is almost always going to be less profitable, with bad exchange rates or change give in the local currency. In Egypt, we had a problem at public toilets where they would only want local money.

Archived