Required vs Recommended

Bridge Maven

Lay in that context would require a live horse... ;)

Perhaps it died with a smile on its face.

May the horse rest in peace or lie in peace would be more appropriate for the censors. :o

Oh the power of words...

I pondered that for a moment. I stand corrected. Lay...Lie...just let the poor horse alone.

I pondered that for a moment. I stand corrected. Lay...Lie...just let the poor horse alone.

They shoot horses don't they?.... I wonder if there is a dislike application that a thread can get voted off the island, metaphorically speaking... a cyber version of a quick death.

Oh good heavens, proper manners and good taste? I'm not ever going to judge anyone's manners or good taste. I'll worry about myself, not others.

tserface: My wife and I were just talking at lunch about how on our next cruise we're leaving the formal stuff behind and just eating elsewhere on formal nights. It's just not worth the cost and trouble to bring along the fancy clothes. As much as we enjoy it. Pretty soon this will be a great source of revenue for the cruise lines forcing people to eat at pay restaurants for formal nights. We should be careful or they may up the count to 4 nights on a 12 day cruise. The sad part is it means giving up lobster night' date=' but not having to haul and pay for the extra suitcase on the plane will be really nice. Tom [/quote']

Not exactly a bland and boring series of posts on this thread. As we prepare for a Solstice cruise in early 2014 for Australia and New Zealand, I can sense the "concern" and wisdom reflected in the above post by Tom. Yes, dressing up can be nice and fun. BUT, working out the luggage, logistics, etc., for needing to pack too much gets a little challenging as we consider two different stops prior to starting our cruise in Sydney and then doing a couple of major stops after the cruise ends in Auckland in getting back home.

Not easy or simple being gone four weeks and having so many pre and post cruise stops/flights!!?? Shipping the extra luggage into Sydney is possible, but very, very costly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,829 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

TLCOhio be assured on your Antipodean cruise nobody will think any less of you for leaving your formal wear at home! We are far more interested in substance over form...we don't care what you wear rather that you're here and having a great time in our welcoming relaxed part of the world!

TLCOhio be assured on your Antipodean cruise nobody will think any less of you for leaving your formal wear at home! We are far more interested in substance over form...we don't care what you wear rather that you're here and having a great time in our welcoming relaxed part of the world!

Appreciate the great encouragement above from and by our friend from Sydney. Didn't know what the phrase "Antipodean" meant! Looked it up and learned something today as it is the informal term for those living in NZ and Australia.

YES, your suggestion of "leaving your formal wear at home!" is being considered carefully. Love your comment of "We are far more interested in substance over form...we don't care what you wear rather that you're here and having a great time in our welcoming relaxed part of the world!"

We have dinner tonight with two of the couples from Central Ohio who are going to be traveling with us on this early 2014 "adventure" to your country and New Zealand. Will share your wisdom/encouragement with them and get a sense of their reactions.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,829 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

If your cruise is out of Sydney, into Auckland, I think you will find a large proportion of your fellow cruisers are locals, our TA's are certainly advertising very heavily at the moment.

We are very relaxed people in this part of the world, particularly when we are on holiday, not really sticklers for petty rules and regulations. By the time you get here Celebrity will have been cruising our waters for a year and are likely to have adopted some of our easygoing ways. Whether you decide to dress up or not is up to you, either way you will have fun. Personally I would leave the formal wear at home to leave luggage space for some great Aussie Red Wine and some terrific Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc!

One of the great benefits of cruising out here is that the ship is most often docked within walking distance of the city or town, making getting around very easy.

In Australia - dead horse means tomato sauce, or tomato ketchup to those across the pond. In fact we can get both sauce and ketchup here, ketchup having a bit more zing.

We have both in the US. Exactly as you describe, but our ketchup/catsup also has quite a bit of sweetener in it. I ran out of Heinz Ketchup last night, and I made some. Basically tomato paste, onion, garlic, allspice,sugar water, vinegar.:)

Terry if you have any questions after your dinner tonight I will do my best to answer, if they are too off topic for here shoot me an email at "waddlingwombat at gmail dot com"

Sauce vs ketchup...I always thought ketchup was salty, our sauce is more sweet than salty. Australian kids grow up with it plastered on everything...and some never out grow it! We get our slt rations from our beloved Vegemite!

A good suggestion might be "Resort Casual" on the Celebrity sailings. I definitely do wear nice black slacks and a evening top if it is formal night- so as to not stand out at the shows, etc. but I can see where men would like to just wear a polo shirt, or collared shirt to dinner (instead of a tie and jacket)- especially on Caribbean and Southern European itineraries.

If you go to fine dining places these days- the men rarely wear a tie. I think you can look neat without wearing sequined gowns either.

If your cruise is out of Sydney, into Auckland, I think you will find a large proportion of your fellow cruisers are locals, our TA's are certainly advertising very heavily at the moment. We are very relaxed people in this part of the world, particularly when we are on holiday, not really sticklers for petty rules and regulations. By the time you get here Celebrity will have been cruising our waters for a year and are likely to have adopted some of our easygoing ways. Whether you decide to dress up or not is up to you, either way you will have fun. Personally I would leave the formal wear at home to leave luggage space for some great Aussie Red Wine and some terrific Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc! One of the great benefits of cruising out here is that the ship is most often docked within walking distance of the city or town, making getting around very easy.

3littlepigs: Terry if you have any questions after your dinner tonight I will do my best to answer' date=' if they are too off topic for here shoot me an email at "waddlingwombat at gmail dot com" [/quote']

Great added info. Appreciate this help. I've copied this info into my trip file on my laptop. I will also share this background with those on our roll call. It's great to get the added view/insights from "locals" there. Will follow-up later with added questions. Good to get your direct contact.

Knowing a little on the history for Australia, it's clear that many there don't like too many rules and/or like to have fun. Looking forward to being down under. Lots of time to consider what to pack and/or NOT!!

The horror of it all. A tie and jacket take up soooo much space in the suitcase there might not be room for the smuggled booze and travel iron.

I have two sons- my older one loves wearing a tie- he is a real dapper Dan. He even wears the little pocket handkerchief. My younger one feels like he is being strangled by a tie. I'm not a man- so can only relay my experiences with the men in my life.

The horror of it all. A tie and jacket take up soooo much space in the suitcase there might not be room for the smuggled booze and travel iron.

Hi, Ma Bell! I went back and checked. Could not find any place where the Sydney, Australia, poster suggested making "room for the smuggled booze and travel iron". Did I miss something about what he actually said and posted? I think it's legal and possible at the end of your cruise to take home bottles of wine from these two countries famed for these enjoyable products. Right?

Terry, it was a joke. I just find it funny that there is such a big deal made of putting a jacket and tie in the suitcase. The excuses are mind boggling.

I don't recall quoting that particular poster, but I also can't imagine putting wine in my suitcase and risking having it break. Many years ago it may not have been possible to buy wines from around the world very easily, but now we can buy just about anything at the local wine shop.

Terry, it was a joke. I just find it funny that there is such a big deal made of putting a jacket and tie in the suitcase. The excuses are mind boggling. I also can't imagine putting wine in my suitcase and risking having it break. Many years ago it may not have been possible to buy wines from around the world very easily, but now we can buy just about anything at the local wine shop.

Appreciate the follow-up and added thoughts, Ma Bell!! At times on these boards, it is sometimes hard to sort out when people are "serious" versus showing a little good humor.

For formal nights, it's a little more than just a jacket and tie in the suitcase. Even in doing a dark suit as I have done on our four past cruises, it's also the shirt (with French cuffs to added little extra for the look), shoes, pants to match the suit that can't used for other purposes, etc. It's all possible. Going to Australia and New Zealand, adds to the challenge, plus our probably two stops prior to starting the cruise, two stops after, etc.

Lots of time until early 2014 when I have to make any final decisions.

I agree, I think formal attire became a "fun" thing to do on a cruise. To us, it wasn't about being classy, or good manner, I felt it was more like a kids in costume party or high school students going to a prom, cause majority of us don't usually have a chance to wear something formal like a tux or evening dress in our daily life.

However, packing them is a pain. I'd only bring them if I depart from my homeport, if I have to fly anywhere to cruise, I wouldn't bother to pack them. The bummer is probably going to miss few meals in the MDR. I mean I probably still could by not dressing up like a total slob, but I don't want to look like an ass while other people in their formal attire lol.

Terry,

All I can say is we've done a 29 day back to back beginning in Australia/ New Zealand, continuing to the South Pacific and ending in Honolulu. We also spent days before in Australia.

We managed to get everything we needed in the suitcases including complete formal wear for six nights. It's not even necessary to take all that we took, but it wasn't a problem.

Unless you plan on wearing sneakers to dinner every evening, a nice pair of black shoes can be worn with both smart casual and formal wear. A dress shirt weighs a couple of ounces and the tie and studs a couple more. My husband takes a tux, suit, multiple dress shirts and a couple of sport coats and other shoes and still has more than enough room for lots of casual clothing.

We do take a large and smaller suitcase each but since we both have two hands, it's not a big problem.:)

It is also certainly possible to have a completely casual cruise by avoiding the MDR on formal nights. Also not a big deal. I guess I just don't understand the mentality of having to make excuses for being inappropriate. If we don't want to dress up on formal night, we just choose another venue.

Terry,

All I can say is we've done a 29 day back to back beginning in Australia/ New Zealand, continuing to the South Pacific and ending in Honolulu. We also spent days before in Australia.

We managed to get everything we needed in the suitcases including complete formal wear for six nights. It's not even necessary to take all that we took, but it wasn't a problem.

Unless you plan on wearing sneakers to dinner every evening, a nice pair of black shoes can be worn with both smart casual and formal wear. A dress shirt weighs a couple of ounces and the tie and studs a couple more. My husband takes a tux, suit, multiple dress shirts and a couple of sport coats and other shoes and still has more than enough room for lots of casual clothing.

We do take a large and smaller suitcase each but since we both have two hands, it's not a big problem.:)

It is also certainly possible to have a completely casual cruise by avoiding the MDR on formal nights. Also not a big deal. I guess I just don't understand the mentality of having to make excuses for being inappropriate. If we don't want to dress up on formal night, we just choose another venue.

I agree with Ma Bell. We pack very much the same.

I wonder if those passengers that bring all their snorkeling equipment (and I bet it can get pretty heavy) are the same passengers that don't want to dress in formal clothing?

Is it a matter of "weight" issues...or just dress preferences? Something to think about...

I can't speak for others, but in our case we weren't going to be inappropriate. We are likely going to eat elsewhere on formal nights so as not to ruin anyone else's dinner. For us to bring the extra suitcases it costs $35 each (each way) so the minimum we can bring the better.

It's kind of sad that the typical cruise mentality around here is that people would rather have someone else skip dinner, or have to pay extra or eat buffet food by making them go elsewhere for dinner so long as they don't have to look at someone without a tie or jacket on. I think that is a sad attitude, but my DW and I are willing to comply since we don't want to cause others grief and certainly don't want to be inappropriate, but we really don't like all the trouble and cost the dress code entails these days.

Like I said, we'll miss the lobster since they don't serve it outside of the MDR, but alas...

My two pesos... I think Celebrity should just get rid of formal nights altogether since they are starting to cause so much controversy. In this day and age that kind of Draconian formality on vacation seems kind of outdated.

Now if people could just be formal if they wanted and let others do what they want then perhaps... but cruisers seem to be sort of intolerant.

Tom

Terry,

Keep in mind that for all the drama here, aboard it was just another night... Everyone looked nice no matter what they wore and everyone seemed happy.

Noone was being drummed from the line by fish knife wielding cruise****s ; -)

Oh! Dear! Ma Bell sorry to upset your evening!

Another example of cross-cultural confusion I fear. Our Antipodean sense of humour is VERY different to that of the US and confusion often occurs.

I was in no way suggesting smuggling "booze" on board but rather collecting some lovely wines to take home, we have some wonderful vineyards here and its a wonderful souvenir to share with friends after your trip.

When flying into Australian and NZ ports most airlines do not give you the luggage allowance of 2 suitcases you are used to in the US, but rather 20kg total, which roughly equates to one medium/largish bag. They are quite strict with it, check with your airline before you fly.

When I say we are relaxed, I also mean in attitude to others, as I mentioned before we are more interested in Substance over Form, Judgemental we are not! We won't judge you on your appearance or choice of dress we are only interested in the person themselves.

Dress as you please, I never suggested anyone do anything else, but also respect our choices and that different parts of the world have different ways of doing things, its all part of the fun of travelling!

Archived